Cannot Connect to Campus Internet

pandacoffee

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
So I recently moved into my campus apartments. I am currently typing on a laptop that is connected to my school's network with no problems. My desktop, however, has not been able to connect. It cannot find the networks or if I manage to find it, it connects, downgrades me to limited connectivity and then disappears again.

I have been able to connect to the network on the desktop in the past with no problems in my dorm room. I took it home for the summer. We are using the same network all across campus.

I am using a TP-LINK TL-WN781ND Wireless Adapter IEEE 802.11b/g/n PCI Express Up to 150Mbps Wireless Data Rates 64/128-Bit WEP, WPA, WPA2

The school network is on a WPA2 enterprise 80.211n connection

Any help?

Update: I rebooted the computer using the safe mode with networking and got it to work, but now the internet is hovering at "poor" reception, while my laptop which is right next to it has "excellent reception."

A quick and dirty solution; since we know it gets good reception, why not use the laptop as your antenna!

Run an ethernet cable from the desktop to the laptop, then enabled ICS (sharing) on the laptop's wireless connection and share it w/ the ethernet connection.

If you wanted to get a bit more fancy, you could try using Connectify to turn the laptop into a wifi hotspot, then create a *local* wireless connection from the desktop to the laptop (iow, use the laptop as a wireless repeater/bridge).

http://connectify.me