First Starforce, now Securom

Blech. I hate games that leave their copy-protection garbage all over
my hard-drive after I uninstall them. Starforce was one of the first,
and now Securom is doing it. Games that use the newest version often
leave the UAService7 on the computer even after the program is
uninstalled. UAService also shows up in the task-manager list (I'm not
sure if this is a good thing or a bad; on the one hand, at least I
*know* when it's there, as opposed to the silent installs used for
Starforce, but on the other hand, I like a nice clean task-list :)

At least Starforce has the decency to provide an uninstall tool to get
rid of it; Securom offers no such thing. I had to manually disable the
service, manually delete the file and then zap the registry entries
(and I'm still not sure it's 100% gone).

Listen up, publishers! I *buy* all my games. I buy *LOTS* of games.
Intrusive copy-protection methods like this do NOT endear you to me.
It just pisses me off. And worse, these methods DON'T EVEN WORK. Stop
using them. It's a waste of money and a waste of good will.

(yeah, I know they don't read these newsgroups; I just needed to
vent).
15 answers Last reply
More about first starforce securom

    Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
    > Blech. I hate games that leave their copy-protection garbage all over
    > my hard-drive after I uninstall them. Starforce was one of the first,
    > and now Securom is doing it. Games that use the newest version often
    > leave the UAService7 on the computer even after the program is
    > uninstalled. UAService also shows up in the task-manager list (I'm not
    > sure if this is a good thing or a bad; on the one hand, at least I
    > *know* when it's there, as opposed to the silent installs used for
    > Starforce, but on the other hand, I like a nice clean task-list :)
    >
    > At least Starforce has the decency to provide an uninstall tool to get
    > rid of it; Securom offers no such thing. I had to manually disable the
    > service, manually delete the file and then zap the registry entries
    > (and I'm still not sure it's 100% gone).
    >
    > Listen up, publishers! I *buy* all my games. I buy *LOTS* of games.
    > Intrusive copy-protection methods like this do NOT endear you to me.
    > It just pisses me off. And worse, these methods DON'T EVEN WORK. Stop
    > using them. It's a waste of money and a waste of good will.
    >
    > (yeah, I know they don't read these newsgroups; I just needed to
    > vent).

    Actually Starforce scheme for SC: Chaos Theory works well. There is
    still no no-cd patch for that game after all these months. But it makes
    me wonder why Starforce doesn't use that particular flavour for other
    games because games that came out after choas theory use starforce but
    they have been cracked already. Maybe guess Starforce has many products
    depending on developers budget?

    "C.J." <c.j.@thehood.com> wrote in message
    > Actually Starforce scheme for SC: Chaos Theory works well. There is
    > still no no-cd patch for that game after all these months.

    GCW has one dated April 7.

    "Spalls Hurgenson" <yoinks@ebalu.com> wrote in message

    <snip>

    > Listen up, publishers! I *buy* all my games. I buy *LOTS* of games.
    > Intrusive copy-protection methods like this do NOT endear you to me.
    > It just pisses me off. And worse, these methods DON'T EVEN WORK. Stop
    > using them. It's a waste of money and a waste of good will.

    Good post. Copy protection schemes really only inconvenience the legitimate
    customer who goes out and buys their games. Depending on how far things
    continue to go on the copy protection front, I may well consider a different
    hobby to spend my money on rather than computer gaming. I'm sure other
    people are maybe thinking the same.

    x-no-archive: yes

    Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

    > Listen up, publishers! I *buy* all my games. I buy *LOTS* of games.

    i'm sorry but its not good enough cause for each proper pc
    gamer like yourself there are a thousands pirates stealing

    did you know riddick only sold 32,000 units?
    yes its true and unbelievably sad

    obviously you and me and everyone knows much much more than
    32,000 pc gamers played riddick... i bet at least half of a
    million played that game... so how come only 32,000 units
    were sold?
    the answer is very simple... piracy

    we must fight piracy! piracy damage us pc gamers
    and starforce and securom are consequences of piracy

    how can you blame publishers from including starforce securom
    or any other copy protection if piracy is so widespread and
    taking so much revenue
    with such a damaging level of piracy you can't blame them

    if we want starforce and securom out of pc games and i'm one
    of them we must fight piracy!
    we pc gamers can do something about it and fight piracy to
    protect our favorite hobby

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 17:16:29 -0400, "C.J." <c.j.@thehood.com> wrote:

    >Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
    >> Blech. I hate games that leave their copy-protection garbage all over
    >> my hard-drive after I uninstall them. Starforce was one of the first,
    >> and now Securom is doing it. Games that use the newest version often
    >> leave the UAService7 on the computer even after the program is
    >> uninstalled. UAService also shows up in the task-manager list (I'm not
    >> sure if this is a good thing or a bad; on the one hand, at least I
    >> *know* when it's there, as opposed to the silent installs used for
    >> Starforce, but on the other hand, I like a nice clean task-list :)
    >>
    >> At least Starforce has the decency to provide an uninstall tool to get
    >> rid of it; Securom offers no such thing. I had to manually disable the
    >> service, manually delete the file and then zap the registry entries
    >> (and I'm still not sure it's 100% gone).
    >>
    >> Listen up, publishers! I *buy* all my games. I buy *LOTS* of games.
    >> Intrusive copy-protection methods like this do NOT endear you to me.
    >> It just pisses me off. And worse, these methods DON'T EVEN WORK. Stop
    >> using them. It's a waste of money and a waste of good will.
    >>
    >> (yeah, I know they don't read these newsgroups; I just needed to
    >> vent).
    >>

    >Actually Starforce scheme for SC: Chaos Theory works well. There is
    >still no no-cd patch for that game after all these months.

    Why bother with a no-cd when they can just release the iso and use
    the common tools to run it, SC:CT was pirate released on April 1st.

    Some games load data from the disc during runtime, if you have to
    have the disc in the drive anyway you may as well do without the
    bother of a crack, and you don't have to worry about patches either.
    I don't know if SC:CT is one of those games, but it could have been a
    factor.

    SC:CT doesn't have any significantly different Starforce protection
    than Silent Hunter 3 did, and that was cracked in no time flat.

    of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

    On 30 Jun 2005 22:51:10 -0700, "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >x-no-archive: yes
    >
    >Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
    >
    >> Listen up, publishers! I *buy* all my games. I buy *LOTS* of games.
    >
    >i'm sorry but its not good enough cause for each proper pc
    >gamer like yourself there are a thousands pirates stealing

    What isn't good enough, that he buys all his games?

    What exactly do you expect him to do, buy extra copies to make up
    for what gets pirated?

    >if we want starforce and securom out of pc games and i'm one
    >of them we must fight piracy!

    Given that Starforce and Securom don't prevent piracy for any but
    the most casual computer users and cause massive problems for those
    who actually pay for the game; I'd say that even if all "professional"
    piracy was completely eliminated by direct mandate from God Almightly;
    we would still have Securom and Starforce protecting games.

    of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

    I too, buy all my games. However, I refuse to purchase games that have
    Starforce protection (and now also Securom).
    I wanted "Silent Hunter 3" and "Act of War" (and even Codename Panzers), but
    screw it. If anything is going to kill off the PC games industry, it's these
    types of copy protection schemes.

    "Spalls Hurgenson" <yoinks@ebalu.com> wrote in message
    > Blech. I hate games that leave their copy-protection garbage all over
    > my hard-drive after I uninstall them. Starforce was one of the first,
    > and now Securom is doing it. Games that use the newest version often
    > leave the UAService7 on the computer even after the program is
    > uninstalled. UAService also shows up in the task-manager list (I'm not
    > sure if this is a good thing or a bad; on the one hand, at least I
    > *know* when it's there, as opposed to the silent installs used for
    > Starforce, but on the other hand, I like a nice clean task-list :)
    >
    > At least Starforce has the decency to provide an uninstall tool to get
    > rid of it; Securom offers no such thing. I had to manually disable the
    > service, manually delete the file and then zap the registry entries
    > (and I'm still not sure it's 100% gone).
    >
    > Listen up, publishers! I *buy* all my games. I buy *LOTS* of games.
    > Intrusive copy-protection methods like this do NOT endear you to me.
    > It just pisses me off. And worse, these methods DON'T EVEN WORK. Stop
    > using them. It's a waste of money and a waste of good will.
    >
    > (yeah, I know they don't read these newsgroups; I just needed to
    > vent).

    x-no-archive: yes

    rlsuth wrote:

    > screw it. If anything is going to kill off the PC games industry,
    > it's these types of copy protection schemes.

    wrong mister!
    what is killing pc games is piracy!
    why do you think publishers pay extra to protect their own
    pc games? do you think they like paying more to manufacture
    their own pc games?
    starforce, securom and all the other cd/dvd copy protecting
    exist CAUSE OF PIRACY!
    only if you fight against piracy can you ask publishers to
    stop using them
    so my question to you is simple... what have you done about
    piracy and have you fought against it?
    no, buying all the pc games you play is not enough
    you must also not copy and give to others your own pc games
    you must also warn and if necessary criticize others if you
    see them illegally copying a pc game
    so its your duty and all of us to fight against piracy
    do your job! and them you can complain about starforce and
    securom
    long live pc games piracy free!

    --

    "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > wrong mister!
    > what is killing pc games is piracy!
    > why do you think publishers pay extra to protect their own
    > pc games? do you think they like paying more to manufacture
    > their own pc games?
    > starforce, securom and all the other cd/dvd copy protecting
    > exist CAUSE OF PIRACY!
    > only if you fight against piracy can you ask publishers to
    > stop using them
    > so my question to you is simple... what have you done about
    > piracy and have you fought against it?
    > no, buying all the pc games you play is not enough
    > you must also not copy and give to others your own pc games
    > you must also warn and if necessary criticize others if you
    > see them illegally copying a pc game
    > so its your duty and all of us to fight against piracy
    > do your job! and them you can complain about starforce and
    > securom
    > long live pc games piracy free!

    The trouble is that copy protection schemes are always defeated sooner or
    later. The net result is that the legitimate customer goes through the
    aggravation associated with copy protection. Now it's come to a point where
    you have to be very careful what sort of CD/DVD utilities and burning
    software you have installed lest you not be able to run a certain game or
    games.

    I've always been an advocate of running two computers for security reasons -
    one machine that has an Internet connection, and another machine which does
    not. But given the state of copy protection today, it's becoming more
    necessary to have a second machine with your utilities installed so you can
    keep your gaming machine "clean" to get around copy protection issues.

    x-no-archive: yes

    NightSky 421 wrote:

    > The trouble is that copy protection schemes are always defeated

    agree

    > The net result is that the legitimate customer goes through the

    agree

    > you have to be very careful what sort of CD/DVD utilities and

    i don't copy my pc games to others neither i backup my pc games
    cause it's totally unnecessary and a waste of money and time
    current manufactured pc games cd/dvd are the most reliable medium
    available so no need for backup
    so with this why do you need to have cd/dvd burning utilities?
    why wasting money on them? don't you need only general purpose
    single software to record? like nero?
    i'm not even a bit sympathetic when someone comes to this group
    flaming starforce cause they have clonecd or alchool installed

    > I've always been an advocate of running two computers for security

    agree although its very expensive
    an alternative but not as secure would be using a dual boot system
    with a working secure installation and a clean simple installation

    for extra protection we could use two hard disks each one with its
    own independent boot system and only connecting one each time for
    full separation and security (no crossover infection between both)

    > that has an Internet connection, and another machine which does not

    totally agree with this one!
    i really like the idea of a pc with no physical connection to
    the net, it makes me feel much more save

    > keep your gaming machine "clean" to get around copy protection

    like i said i don't see any reason to have burning utilities
    but i do agree in having two boot systems either in separate pcs
    if you have the money of separate hard disks in the same pc or
    even separate partitions in the same hard disk if you don't have
    the cash for the other two more expensive solutions
    the reason for separate boot systems is not only one you gave,
    for security but also cause for true pc gamers having a games
    only installation, a boot system totally dedicated to games is
    the best way to prevents troubleshooting

    --

    "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> writes:

    > so with this why do you need to have cd/dvd burning utilities?

    Why should somone have to justify what they have on their computer to
    you? Or to a company from which they purchased a game?

    Do you have a VCR? Why? What reason could you have to need to record
    to tape other than pirate movies? Since you have a VCR, we won't let
    you play DVDs. See how absurd that argument is when applied to just
    about any other medium?

    > i'm not even a bit sympathetic when someone comes to this group
    > flaming starforce cause they have clonecd or alchool installed

    You have a serious problem. You seem to think that you have the right
    to tell people what they can and can't install on their own
    computers. I'm amazed you didn't call people with CD duplication
    software "traitors to PC gaming".

    FOAD already.

    Nick

    p.s. Just for the record, I don't have any duplication software on any
    of my PCs, I'm just boggling at your arrogance.

    --
    #include<stdio.h> /* sigmask (sig.c) 20041028 PUBLIC DOMAIN */
    int main(c,v)char *v;{return !c?putchar(* /* cc -o sig sig.c */

    steamKILLER wrote:
    > x-no-archive: yes
    >
    > Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
    >

    >>Listen up, publishers! I *buy* all my games. I buy *LOTS* of games.
    >

    > i'm sorry but its not good enough cause for each proper pc
    > gamer like yourself there are a thousands pirates stealing
    >
    > did you know riddick only sold 32,000 units?
    > yes its true and unbelievably sad
    >
    > obviously you and me and everyone knows much much more than
    > 32,000 pc gamers played riddick... i bet at least half of a
    > million played that game... so how come only 32,000 units
    > were sold?
    > the answer is very simple... piracy

    I'm sure piracy played a minor part, but I think there is something more
    basic in play here.

    I believe it's more likely that the poor sales can be attributed to the
    casual gamer being conditioned over the years by horrible movie spawned
    titles.

    The average gamer see's Riddick sitting on the shelf and automatically
    thinks, "bleh, another cheesy attempt at cashing in on a successful
    movie". You can count the number of GOOD movie tie-in games on one hand
    (maybe less). A good portion of the 32,000 people that did buy the game
    probably read favorable reviews and decided to try it. The vast
    majority of casual gamers that don't scour the review sites already had
    a preconceived notion of it's quality before even seeing it on the shelf.

    Unfortunately I think Riddick is a victim of the precedent set by loads
    of garbage movie franchise games produced in the past.

    (*>

    Nick Vargish <nav+posts@bandersnatch.org> looked up from reading the
    say:

    >"steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> writes:
    >
    >> so with this why do you need to have cd/dvd burning utilities?
    >
    >Why should somone have to justify what they have on their computer to
    >you? Or to a company from which they purchased a game?

    Isn't it just so very obvious that steamkiller has never heard of
    backing up data and can only conceive of burning software being used for
    piracy.

    >Do you have a VCR? Why? What reason could you have to need to record
    >to tape other than pirate movies? Since you have a VCR, we won't let
    >you play DVDs. See how absurd that argument is when applied to just
    >about any other medium?
    >
    >> i'm not even a bit sympathetic when someone comes to this group
    >> flaming starforce cause they have clonecd or alchool installed
    >
    >You have a serious problem. You seem to think that you have the right
    >to tell people what they can and can't install on their own
    >computers. I'm amazed you didn't call people with CD duplication
    >software "traitors to PC gaming".

    In his own little world his opinion actually matters to other people.
    Some day he'll realize that the real world and his fantasy world aren't
    the same.

    >FOAD already.

    Nah, he needs to FOAGCIPPEDI.

    >p.s. Just for the record, I don't have any duplication software on any
    >of my PCs, I'm just boggling at your arrogance.

    I have various bits, but then I've been backing up downloaded and
    generated data for years before I ever had a cd-burner.
    Savegames, game mods, demos, preview movies for upcoming games, funny
    movies available for download, game walkthrus, Drivers - and that's just
    covering game-related data backup.

    Xocyll

    > i don't copy my pc games to others neither i backup my pc games
    > cause it's totally unnecessary and a waste of money and time
    > current manufactured pc games cd/dvd are the most reliable medium
    > available so no need for backup
    > so with this why do you need to have cd/dvd burning utilities?
    > why wasting money on them? don't you need only general purpose
    > single software to record? like nero?
    > i'm not even a bit sympathetic when someone comes to this group
    > flaming starforce cause they have clonecd or alchool installed

    Thanks for the reply, I'm glad that we agree on many points, particularly
    the part about PC security and the importance of running two computers if
    possible - one with Internet, and one without. I just wanted to address the
    above, as well as another point you had below. Sorry for not responding
    sooner.

    The only piece of CD/DVD burning software that I have installed is Nero.
    Even in that case, I have heard of some instances where certain parts of it
    need to be disabled for some newer games to run. As I also recall, there
    was even one expansion pack of one game where it would not run if you even
    had a CD or DVD burner on your computer! Of course, I would expect that to
    be a thing of the past, but it is an example of how lightly you sometimes
    need to tread.

    Also, I believe it is legal for you to make a back-up of software for your
    own personal use in the event that your originals go defective. While I
    have not backed up any of my software from the last five years, there have
    been a couple of occasions where media has gone bad on me and where I wish I
    would have made a back-up. I think this sort of thing falls under the
    general category of "fair rights" use. As much as some industries would
    like to see fair rights use come to an end, it's not unreasonable IMHO for
    you to make a back-up of your media collection if you should feel inclined
    to do so.

    > agree although its very expensive
    > an alternative but not as secure would be using a dual boot system
    > with a working secure installation and a clean simple installation

    I agree here. My Internet computer here is formatted using FAT32
    partitions. The upside to this is that the drive is easily formatted using
    a good ol' Windows 98 or ME boot disc with the FORMAT command copied to it.
    I use Norton Ghost 2003 and it's awesome under DOS using the same boot
    disks. An alternative, of course, is a dual-boot as you suggested, although
    that's obviously not as good.

    As long as you don't have big demands (like online gaming) of a second
    computer, it's really not expensive to have a dedicated Internet box. In
    fact, I have a PIII-933 on loan to a relative right now for use for a couple
    of months and he is using it solely for Internet with great results. Buying
    a PIII-level computer doesn't cost a lot and really packs all the punch an
    "average" users (not into gaming or video editing) would need.

    x-no-archive: yes

    NightSky 421 wrote:

    > Thanks for the reply, I'm glad that we agree on many points,

    you're welcome and the points you talk about are very good
    recomendations for any pc gamer

    > importance of running two computers if possible - one with

    i totally agree with you about the internet and security
    another issue i'm very worried about is all this insane thing
    about wireless... i don't like wireless, wireless is unsafe
    i only want WIRED physically connected connections in all my
    computer equipment

    > Sorry for not responding sooner.

    no problem

    > need to be disabled for some newer games to run. As I also

    copy protections that refuse to run a game cause of software or
    hardware present in a pc is totally wrong and i'm against it
    but for me piracy is so bad that i don't feel i have the right
    to look publishers into the eye and flame them for that cause
    they could flame me back for the level of piracy they suffer
    i truly believe fighting piracy is also fighting against all
    those copy protections like starforce
    there is a reason for starforce and its called piracy so we
    must do everything to end piracy in pc games
    that's why i hate pirates so much cause everytime i buy a game
    with starforce its cause of them

    > own personal use in the event that your originals go defective

    for me manufactured cd-roms are so reliable i really don't feel
    the need to make backups and besides i have surpassed one hundred
    games in my collection many of them with more than one cd so if
    i would start backing up all it would be expensive and very time
    consuming and again i really don't think its necessary cause for
    me the majority of my games will out live me and be functional
    well after i'm gone

    > occasions where media has gone bad on me and where I wish I

    i'm sorry you had problems
    and obviously nothing is always full prof not even cds

    with my favorite pc games i usually have two versions like a
    gold edition or a budget edition and normal first edition
    so for those really special titles i already have a "backup"
    no need to "burn" a home made one which i really don't like
    doing
    call me a bit paranoid but i don't trust very much "home made"
    cds or dvds

    > it's not unreasonable IMHO for you to make a back-up of your

    off course!
    there is obsoletely no problem!
    the problem is not making a copy or a backup, the only problem
    is you giving away that copy
    what is damaging is not backup but giving away copies of your
    own pc games!

    >I agree here. My Internet computer here is formatted using FAT32

    i'm also a fat32 fan even with the 4gb file limitation
    i still don't have any ntfs formatted partition although i have
    one in fat16 my first the boot one with less than 2gb, i guess
    its nostalgia for the good old dos days :)

    > a good ol' Windows 98 or ME boot disc with the FORMAT command

    exactly!
    i also feel much better knowing i can boot from a floppy and
    lets be honest, having win98 in your pc is still necessary to
    be able to run old games even windows based ones
    so having fat32 plus win98 is still a must for any pc gamer

    > I use Norton Ghost 2003 and it's awesome under DOS using the

    exactly
    again you know your trade
    a partition image program is for me another "must have" in
    pc games

    > An alternative, of course, is a dual-boot as you suggested,

    i don't know exactly if i understood how you implement your
    system but for me a mix of both is the best, mixing image and
    dual boot and dual operating systems
    having a dual partition/dual boot win98/winxp system and both
    being "imaged" into files so you can easily dump then for a
    always recommended once in a while clean fresh install system
    someone talked about some copy protections being very tough to
    remove when you finish the game and install the game, so what
    better way than applying a clean fresh image partition

    > a PIII-level computer doesn't cost a lot and really packs all

    agree completely
    for internet and office work p3 is perfect
    the problem is you no longer cannot buy a new p3 in stores and
    only in the second hand market but if you already have a p3
    you should keep it for your "working" machine with net and use
    the new one only for games and not connected

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam

PC gaming Games Video Games