Sign in with
Your question

HOW TO FORMAT A HARD DRIVE !!!

Last response: in Storage
August 30, 2002 5:50:36 PM

Ok everyone I know im in the wrong forum but this is really the one which gets the most action.

Anyway im just about to put together my new computer but first of all I need to blank my old disk for use in the new system. Its currently setup in the old machine. I have tried to format the drive from the ms dos prompt in win ME but the version of fsdisk and format are from win 98. There is also no way for me to get into the proper version of dos, i have to run it from wwindows. So, my question is.. if I put the drive straight into my new comp would i be able to format there from a floppy disk containing fdisk and format (win 98, but i plan to install this OS anyway) or would I end up completely screwed with a HDD full with data I no longer need?

Thanks In advance for anyone who is nice enough to reply

If all else fails, Go further :) 

More about : format hard drive

August 30, 2002 5:54:30 PM

use fdisk to make a partition, and when you start installing, it will format your hd first.

<font color=blue>Unofficial Forum Cop</font color=blue>
August 30, 2002 5:58:50 PM

so can i run fsdisk off of the win98se installation/startup floppy? i know it has it on it.

Related resources
August 30, 2002 6:10:19 PM

yes, i do it off the floppy

<font color=blue>Unofficial Forum Cop</font color=blue>
August 30, 2002 6:13:32 PM

THANKS ALOT YOU TWO :D 

So heres what I plan to do....

- take HDD directly out of old comp
- set up new comp, power on, setup bios
- restart with win98se start up disk (primary boot device set to floppy)

- follow instructions to partition, and then it should format automatically.

- Install OS

please tell me if ive got anything wrong, im a bit nervous incase I screw it up and unable to format in the new setup

August 30, 2002 6:21:11 PM

Anyone?

August 30, 2002 6:27:14 PM

THANKYOU PHEONIX AND BUDDRY,IM JUST ABOUT TO START THE BUILD SO IF IM NOT POSTING PRETTY SOON YOULL KNOW I SCREWED UP!

THANKS AGAIN

August 30, 2002 11:37:48 PM

Ok...to clarify things............

After u use Fdisk the computer will not format the HDD itself...........

what u do is make ur new computer........put in the floppy....boot up with the floppy.....
wen u get to dos prompt...type fdisk

select Y for large partitions
than select DELETE PRIMARY DOS PARTITION....go throught the necessary steps......delete it.....

Than after its done......CREATE A PRIMARY DOS PARTITION......let it use the maximum space available......got hrough those steps....than ur gonna exit fdisk and its gonan tell u the computer needs to reboot.....

Once the computer reboots, keep the floppy in the drive.......select "Boot with CD-Rom Support" and once its at the A:\> prompt type "Format c: /u" without the " " and press Y and hit enter.......let it do its thing...now once its done......type "X:" where 'X' is the drive letter corespnding with ur cd-rom..
make sure the win98 CD is in the CD-ROM.....now type "SETUP /IS" once again without the " " (The /IS Command skips ScanDisk) and thats about it....

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>
December 3, 2008 2:55:44 PM

I got a question....

Ihave a WD PAssport portable HD...

When I hook it up to either my desktop or laptop it does all this clicking like iw want's to auto launch something and stays stuck in that mode. I tried reformating it on another machine but I get the same result from my desktop and laptop. IS there some kind of way to toggle something off, so it just acts like a plain old hard drive without trying to autolaunch, or whatever it's doing? Thanks.
!