Sign in with
Your question

Custom Built Firewall using PfSense in a Small Business Environment

Last response: in Networking
September 23, 2012 3:09:21 PM

I have been given the opportunity to work in a Small Business Environment vs the Everyday consumer. I have experience using a SonicFirewall but I am now having to work with 2 Custom Built Firewalls using PfSense. Each have 1 Lan and 1 Wan Port. I need to physically connect these to a Cisco Router and a Server running Windows Small Business Server 2011. In the server room, there are a few patch panels, 2 managed switches the server and router. I want to ensure the proper PHYSICAL connect with this firewall to obtain Internet w/o disturbing the server as it is.

At the home office, I came across some issues with the firewall. I could access the LAN just fine until connecting the WAN and then I could no longer access the Router and would get the Microsoft Default IP address. I would have to completely reset the router to factory default to have access again. I connected an Ethernet cable running from the switch that was connected to the Router and Server running Windows Small Business Server. I was never able to connect to the internet only the LAN.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!
September 23, 2012 7:45:46 PM

Could you provide a topology of how the network is laid out?
m
l
September 23, 2012 11:23:04 PM

sk1939 said:
Could you provide a topology of how the network is laid out?

Right now I'm in the centra office which is the testing environment. There is a Cisco Router Linked to a Linkysys Switch. The Server is connected to the Router and I have two hardware Firewalls. I plugged a port from the switch into the WAN port on the Firwall. Lights up fine and I receive an IP but I can't connect to the internet. When the LAN is connected to the testing laptop I can get into the router fine but as soon as I plug in the WAN cable to the firewall I cant get into the firewall anymore and I still can't connect to the internet. Is this partly because the server is handling DHCP or something? DO I have it plugged in correctly?
m
l
September 23, 2012 11:40:38 PM

You have to configure the firewall to pass through traffic from the sound of it.
m
l
!