Windows Server 2003 Workgroup

agentbb007

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
We have a server running Windows Server 2003 and it seems the latest update has messed up the network shares. I cannot see any computers on the network and cannot use any \\computername to access any shares. What is strange is I can ping all of these computers using their computer names and the IP addresses resolve fine. I can browse to their shares using \\IPAddress but not \\name... If I manually add their names and IP addresses to the hosts file then I can use \\name and it works. The Windows Server 2003 machine can’t even see itself in the Workgroup. FYI there is no firewall turned on. Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks.

Solution

Does not sound so strange. The other computers were probably in the workgroup name you changed it to.

agentbb007

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
Ok I fixed it but I still have no idea what was wrong. I'd rebooted the server many times and it didn't help. But I just changed the Workgroup name to "Workgroup" and rebooted and shazam everything is showing up in My Network Places again and all the \\shares are working... Computers are very strange beings :)

Does not sound so strange. The other computers were probably in the workgroup name you changed it to.

Solution