would a router fix this problem?

G

I have Time/Warner-RoadRunner cable internet access on my office network which is linked to our network hub. One of the office computers acts as the server. A few weeks ago our cable service started interfering with our office network because of the Code Red virus on the cable provider's networks. Our computers don't have the virus since they are all password protected. Our file sharing programs on the office network will lock up as long as the cable internet service is linked to our hub. If we disconnect our cable service the office network functions properly. My understanding is that the reason it locks up our computers is that the virus on their network makes constant requests for information from our computers. If this is the case would a router with its firewall prevent the virus from continually trying to access our computers and so enable us to leave the internet hookup linked to our hub. Currently we have to disconnect the internet link if we want to use any file sharing programs.

---I'm not crazy...everyone else is!

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
My guess is that it would. The router will be able to block the ports the requests are coming in on (most likely 80). Also, password protection is not going to stop code red. It comes in via http, if you're running Internet Services Manager on NT or 2000. There are patches on microsoft.com if you're running it.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

G

that sounds to me like an improperly configured network. has this problem always manifested itself, or only after the 'code red' issue? how long have you had the cable internet service? when you say that one of the computers in the office acts as a server do you mean just as a server for the internet connection? or as a domain or workgroup server? what operating system are you running on the server? on the workstations?

i dont think a router would solve this problem (by the way, if running nt or 2000 on the server you can run the box as a router) becuase the constant pings from 'code red' would slow your internet access, but shouldnt have any access to your internal network. if a virus can route itself to your internal network, then your network is very wrong......

ignore everything i say

G

The network problem did not exist until the code red issue. Our computers all run windows me. They have all been virus scanned with the latest mccafee virus files and do not have any viruses. I was wrong when I said one computer acts as the server. It's actually a peer to peer network. We have had the cable internet service since January. We developed the code red problem around the first of August this year, that's when this whole problem developed.

G

ok. so, im guessing that the computer to which the cable is hooked up to is running Internet Connection sharing? If not, how is it sharing the internet connection with the other windows ME pc's? Do your pc's have internal (non-routable) IP addresses like 192.168.1.52, or external addresses like 24.23.7.120?

My hunch is that they have external, routable addresses and are therefore vulnerable to external pings themselves. If this is the case, then yes, a router would solve this problem by running Network Address Translation and making the pc's on your peer to peer network unroutable (non-pingable).

ignore everything i say

G

We have the cable modem feeding into the hub. All our computers use file sharing for microsoft networks and DHCP and so the ip addresses are assigned automatically. I don't know whether this gives them internal or external ip addresses. My guess is that means they are externally assigned.

G

thats the problem. the cable connection should run directly into a pc that is configured to share the connection using Internet Connection Sharing (there is a wizard that will help you set this up on windows ME under programs>accessories>communication>ICS wizard), or through a router.

Connecting a cable modem directly into a network hub is an extremely bad idea, especially for a business. This way you directly connect the internet to your network. Bad idea. You are right that a router would solve this problem. Purchasing a low end router such as the Linksys 4 port router (125-150.00) would be a great idea. a cheaper way would be to connect the cable connection to one pc and run ICS from there (a sort of routing program developed by microsoft to run in windows allowing multiple computers to share the same internet connection usinf one IP address). If you want the easy way, get a router and swap it with a hub......

ignore everything i say

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
to run ICS, don't you need 2 NIC's in the server box? Just a little more to add to the complexity if thats the case.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
I'd agree with antivirus.

Yes, you do need to cards, one connected to the cable connection, and one to the local network.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

CompSci

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
AntiVirus has it...

Or maybe even simplist, buy LinkSys router 1 port model and plug it into Hub... point gateway to router IP...

<i>Out of my mind. Back in five minutes...</i>

G

We purchased a Linksys router for 99.00 at best buy. Problem solved. Everything is working like it's supposed to now.