Win 7 64 bit performance questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostindos55

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
Hello All,

After doing lots of research I installed windows 7 64 bit.

Its running great,

I have a question, I like 64 bit, but as most if not all of my applications are 32 bit at the moment, and most games are as well, will I be seeing slower performance in 32 bit games, and in 32 bit applications on my 64 bit os, slower than if I had win 7 32 bit?.

Mainly for a gaming PC, before I get too settled into 64 bit, Wan't to make sure i'm not going to be hurting my FPS or 32 bit application performance at all. since nearly every application installs to the 32 bit folder.

I could not find any benchmarks for win 7 64 bit vs win 7 32 bit on 32 bit applications and on 32 bit games, does anyone know of one?

Thanks.

lostindos55

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
Oh one more question:).

I installed win7 to a hard drive that was used for storage before.

I remember in winxp when you create a parition you have to wait for it to do a quick or full format, for my win7 install it did not seem to format at all, just created the parition and didn't do anything when I clicked format,

All's working fine, so I guess there was no point in doing a format at that stage?. or would I be better off to somehow format it again or does win7 not need anything like this?.

Thanks

AKM880

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009

I was thinking the same thing, I thought that Window's 7 installer would reformat and install but I was wrong. The format in the installer should work too, thats how I did it. No files from older Windows installations were on the hard drive

bpb

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008

As far as the gaming goes, I don't think you'd see any less performance. Plus, if the 64 bit version allows you to add more RAM (4GB, being the most common example) then even if the game was 32 bit the 64 bit OS would still have more "overhead" and more resources to allocate to the game - or so I would think. I know there was an article on Tom's Hardware somewhere about the effective maximum RAM (comparing 2GB, 6GB, and 12GB or some such), but I'd think going to 64-bit to allow for more than 2GB or so of RAM for your system would be worth it (or it's seemed to be worth it to me). I'd think the OS would be more efficient on the 64-bit processor even if the game couldn't take advantage of it. So, I can't say for certain, but I'd be more concerned about going from WinXP to Vista/Win7 compatibility than from 32bit to 64bit (at least with fairly recent games).

z999

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
applications using 32bit are limited to 2.7GB anyway unless they specify they are large memory aware (I don't remember how to do that) but the additional memory can be used by other applications (windows) and free you more resources.

and to continue the second question, when my computer comes back from repair I want to install win7, according to what you say- I need to format manually?

lostindos55

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
Hi, Thanks.

z999, I don't think you need to format manually, I did click the format button just to be sure, but it did not seem to do anything (hard drive was already formatted though).

I was just suprised how quick it went,

But in win7 I think it must of done an automatic quick format, or maybe it did not need to format at all, installed and paritioned without problems.

I'm very happy with win 7 64 bit so will be sticking to that I think un till I can buy 64 bit win7 retail.

Status
Not open for further replies.