GTA SA PC Joypad problem

I bought a 'USB rumble control pad' from Game yesterday to play GTA SA with.
When I plug it in, it installs no problem. I've loaded the drivers that
come with it and calibration via the control panel is fine. All the buttons
and both joysticks are being 'seen' by windows in the test settings window
afterwards. I changed the controller setup to joypad in GTA SA. Yet when I
try to use it in the game nothing happens. No movement, none of the buttons
work, nada. I think I've done everything right. Am I missing something
obvious?

Cheers

Matt

Win XP SP2
p4 2.8
Geforce 5900
10 answers Last reply
More about joypad problem

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 12:43:06 +0100, "Matt Benson"
    <matthew.benson@pharm.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

    >I bought a 'USB rumble control pad' from Game yesterday to play GTA SA with.
    >When I plug it in, it installs no problem. I've loaded the drivers that
    >come with it and calibration via the control panel is fine. All the buttons
    >and both joysticks are being 'seen' by windows in the test settings window
    >afterwards. I changed the controller setup to joypad in GTA SA. Yet when I
    >try to use it in the game nothing happens. No movement, none of the buttons
    >work, nada. I think I've done everything right. Am I missing something
    >obvious?

    What do you want to use it for in the game? Controlling everything
    (YUCK!)? Have you got joypad rather than mouse control selected?

    "Matt Benson" <matthew.benson@pharm.ox.ac.uk> wrote in message
    > I bought a 'USB rumble control pad' from Game yesterday to play GTA SA
    with.
    > When I plug it in, it installs no problem. I've loaded the drivers that
    > come with it and calibration via the control panel is fine. All the
    buttons
    > and both joysticks are being 'seen' by windows in the test settings window
    > afterwards. I changed the controller setup to joypad in GTA SA. Yet when
    > try to use it in the game nothing happens. No movement, none of the
    buttons
    > work, nada. I think I've done everything right. Am I missing something
    > obvious?

    You actually have to re-define the controls (yes, each individual control on
    the pad) within the game - it's not enough just to choose 'gamepad' controls
    as opposed to mouse/keys in the controller setup.

    > On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 12:43:06 +0100, "Matt Benson"
    > <matthew.benson@pharm.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
    >
    >>I bought a 'USB rumble control pad' from Game yesterday to play GTA SA
    >>with.
    >>When I plug it in, it installs no problem. I've loaded the drivers that
    >>come with it and calibration via the control panel is fine. All the
    >>buttons
    >>and both joysticks are being 'seen' by windows in the test settings window
    >>afterwards. I changed the controller setup to joypad in GTA SA. Yet when
    >>try to use it in the game nothing happens. No movement, none of the
    >>buttons
    >>work, nada. I think I've done everything right. Am I missing something
    >>obvious?
    >
    > What do you want to use it for in the game? Controlling everything
    > (YUCK!)? Have you got joypad rather than mouse control selected?
    > --

    I thought that as the game was designed with a joypad in mind I'd see if it
    was easier to play with one. I'm a WSAD/mouse player from FPS's and have
    found it really difficult to press all the various key combos it seems to
    require. For example, combo moves in fighting and hopping cars diagonal
    arrows. Of course, it could just be that I'm rubbish!

    Matt

    "Matt Benson" <matthew.benson@pharm.ox.ac.uk> looked up from reading the
    say:

    >"Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 12:43:06 +0100, "Matt Benson"
    >> <matthew.benson@pharm.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I bought a 'USB rumble control pad' from Game yesterday to play GTA SA
    >>>with.
    >>>When I plug it in, it installs no problem. I've loaded the drivers that
    >>>come with it and calibration via the control panel is fine. All the
    >>>buttons
    >>>and both joysticks are being 'seen' by windows in the test settings window
    >>>afterwards. I changed the controller setup to joypad in GTA SA. Yet when
    >>>try to use it in the game nothing happens. No movement, none of the
    >>>buttons
    >>>work, nada. I think I've done everything right. Am I missing something
    >>>obvious?
    >>
    >> What do you want to use it for in the game? Controlling everything
    >> (YUCK!)? Have you got joypad rather than mouse control selected?
    >> --
    >
    >I thought that as the game was designed with a joypad in mind I'd see if it
    >was easier to play with one. I'm a WSAD/mouse player from FPS's and have
    >found it really difficult to press all the various key combos it seems to
    >require. For example, combo moves in fighting and hopping cars diagonal
    >arrows. Of course, it could just be that I'm rubbish!

    I hear that - damn dancing car mission - you just have to hit both keys
    for the diagonal since the idiot programmers only did 4 keys not 8.
    Took me a couple tries to get through it.

    I'm slowly becoming accustomed to the non-following camera controls -
    what a switch from Vice City.

    One word of warning though if you're going to use a controller - from
    what i've read on the net, the controller setting seems to have a follow
    cam similar to vice city - only it lags a bit, so when you corner you're
    going to be blind for a second or so before it catches up.

    Though I could see using a controller just for the damn stupid mini
    games like the dancing car.

    Xocyll

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 14:42:32 +0100, "Matt Benson"
    <matthew.benson@pharm.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

    >I thought that as the game was designed with a joypad in mind I'd see if it
    >was easier to play with one. I'm a WSAD/mouse player from FPS's and have
    >found it really difficult to press all the various key combos it seems to
    >require. For example, combo moves in fighting and hopping cars diagonal
    >arrows. Of course, it could just be that I'm rubbish!

    Myself, I only use a joypad for flying. Using a joypad for shooting
    when on foot is a major PITA.

    >>I thought that as the game was designed with a joypad in mind I'd see if
    >>it
    >>was easier to play with one. I'm a WSAD/mouse player from FPS's and have
    >>found it really difficult to press all the various key combos it seems to
    >>require. For example, combo moves in fighting and hopping cars diagonal
    >>arrows. Of course, it could just be that I'm rubbish!
    >
    > Myself, I only use a joypad for flying. Using a joypad for shooting
    > when on foot is a major PITA.

    Do you need to go into Control Options when switching from mouse/keyboard >
    pad ?

    > Myself, I only use a joypad for flying. Using a joypad for shooting
    > when on foot is a major PITA.

    I disagree. Having completed the game on PS2, I found the mouse/key setup
    for the PC to be vastly inferior for everything except precision shooting
    work (sniping and 'aimed' shooting, in other words). In particular, driving
    is just awful and no fun whatsoever using mouse/keys. After a couple of
    hours I plugged in my Thrustmaster Dual Analogue gamepad, free with Prince
    of Persia, and it's been much better. Flying in particular, is much
    improved in control, even over the PS2.

    "redTed" <redted@NTL3mbfinally.com> wrote in message

    >>>I thought that as the game was designed with a joypad in mind I'd see if
    >>>it
    >>>was easier to play with one. I'm a WSAD/mouse player from FPS's and have
    >>>found it really difficult to press all the various key combos it seems to
    >>>require. For example, combo moves in fighting and hopping cars diagonal
    >>>arrows. Of course, it could just be that I'm rubbish!
    >>
    >> Myself, I only use a joypad for flying. Using a joypad for shooting
    >> when on foot is a major PITA.
    >
    > Do you need to go into Control Options when switching from mouse/keyboard

    I've tried both changing to Joypad and keeping it as mouse/keyboard with no
    change either way. I took it back at lunch time and they've swapped it for
    a different one so I'll give it a try tonight.

    Cheers

    Matt

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 17:33:06 +0100, "Sam Jones"
    <sam.j.jones@spamnull.logicacmg.com> wrote:

    >I disagree. Having completed the game on PS2, I found the mouse/key setup
    >for the PC to be vastly inferior for everything except precision shooting
    >work (sniping and 'aimed' shooting, in other words).

    And as there is a lot of 'aimed' shooting, the mouse comes into its
    own. I originally had GTA3 on the PS2 and I got stuck on a sniping
    mission, I just couldn't get past it. I got through it first attempt
    on the PC.

    > In particular, driving
    >is just awful and no fun whatsoever using mouse/keys.

    No fun with mouse, but I have no problem with just keys.

    > After a couple of
    >hours I plugged in my Thrustmaster Dual Analogue gamepad, free with Prince
    >of Persia, and it's been much better. Flying in particular, is much
    >improved in control, even over the PS2.

    As I said before, flying is definitely better with a pad.

    Thanks for all the suggestions guys, the new one I got last yesterday looks
    to be working fine. Guess I must have been unlucky first time round. You
    know what though? After all the hassle I played using the joypad for about
    5 mins and went straight back to mouse/keyboard! I just couldn't control
    the camera/movement using those two little joysticks as well as I could with
    the mouse/keyboard.

    Sounds like it could come in useful later in the game though, so thanks once
    again.

    Matt

PC gaming Games Video Games