USB2/Firewire Hard drives

fAt1

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
HI all, I'm looking to buy a high capacity USB2 or Firewire Hard drive for the sake of extra storage and data security. I'm moving to Birmingham and I dont know how secure my accommodation will be, so I want to hold most of my data on a removable medium to place somewhere seperate from my PC so if my PC gets taken, my data doesn't.

My question to you all is what connection should I use: Firewire or USB2. Looking at the benchmarks in the recent THG test, speeds are virtually the same but Firewire is best for continuous streams - I intend to use the external Hard drive for DivX movie storage and viewing, MP3 storage and listening and general important document backup storage. So for this purpose, is a USB2 drive or a Firewire drive best? Anyone had experience of the drives?

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
I would definitely prefer USB2.0, since this (well at least USB1.1) is available on most computers today. Firewire is not so common. Regarding performance, either (USB2.0 or Firewire) is equally good, since they have sufficient performance to move the bottleneck to the actual drive.
Note, however, I do not have musch experience with USB 2.0 devices. I would expect that a USB2.0 device will require a USB2.0 host. Although it is possible that that the device can connect to a USB1.1 host at a slower speed. You have to check this with the vendor of the actual drive.