Multiple routers

conival

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
Hi,

I have a client that is wanting to provide 20+ VLANs to his tenants, each with its own DHCP server. I know I can set up a Draytek router to provide 4 such VLANs, but can I set up 5 such routers all connected to a single cable router providing a 100Mbps broadband line?

Or is there an alternative method that I can implement?

Thanks in advance

arnep

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
That's a quirky solution. Why don't you purchase an "additional VLAN" license to your Draytek, or use a product that can handle 20 VLANs and 100 Mbps throughput?

sk1939

Distinguished

Use a Cisco 3550-24 and set each port as routeable with it's own IP address, then assign a DHCP pool to each port. Use the Draytek to NAT and firewall.

conival

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012

Thanks for your reply,

Not sure what you mean about additional licenses, I was proposing using Vigor 2830s.

I know the Vigor 3900 will handle 50 VLANs, but I was thinking the multiple router solution reduce the "single point of failure" scenario, one router might go down but it would only affect 4 VLANs.

It might not even be possible to do what I'm thinking, just throwing it out there to see if anyone else had experience of this kind of thing.