tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Ive just built my new comp and also installed a new external 56k modem to replace my winmodem that lagged my online games. so i got home connected it up, dialled up for the first time and it connected at 115k. it has done this ever since but doesnt seem to really improve in download/upload speeds over my old modem. The only problem is that whilst my old modem would instantly connect after dialling, this one waits almost a minute at the 'logging onto network' stage before finally connecting. i would be very thankful if someone could tell me what is wrong. at first i thought it was the serial connection between the modem and the computer but then a friend told me that his old 28k did this aswell. Im mystified. Any Ideas???

If all else fails, Go further :)

ADPankow

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2002
It just appears to be connecting at 115Kbps but cannot connect at more than 53Kbps. As for the logging on to network problem, just go to your dial-up connection properties dialog and select the tab that says "Settings" I believe then just uncheck the "Logon To Network" option. Hope this helps you out with your troubles, if not just post another reply.

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
An explanation regarding the reported speed.

<b>DTE Speed</b> DTE speed is the bit rate at which data flows between the PC (DTE) and the modem (DCE). For external modems, the maximum speed is limited by the maximum Serial speed of the COM port. Older equipment, in use with 386 PC machines, limited speed to 19.2 Kbps but current ports can deliver data at 115.2 Kbps, twice the speed of the top DCE speed as defined by V.90. The difference allows modems to compress data between each other to allow for data throughput at greater than DCE speed (but never greater than the DTE speed).

<b>DCE Speed</b> DCE Speed is the bit rate at which data flows between two modems (two pieces of DCE). It is limited by specifications for use over the Dial-Up phone network as denoted below as well as the DTE speed (if DCE speed is greater than DTE speed then the DTE will throttle the amount of data it receives and the modem must buffer the extra data).

<b>Reported Speed</b> The speed reported by DUN is governed by the modem settings which are extracted from the modem. DUN tries to interpret the modem responses and report the DCE speed. Failing to read the responses, DUN reports the DTE speed. Since there are a limited number of DTE speeds in the V.90 range, 38400, 57600, and 115200, and these do not match any V.90 DCE speeds, a reported DTE speed is quite distinctive.

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Ok i get it. But what about taking a whole minute to log onto the network? im sure there must be a way around this as my old modem never did it in winME.

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
AD I dont understand what you mean as there is no 'settings' tab in the dial-up networking properties.

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
So Hammer, do you know of anyway to get around this problem, I would prefer to be able to see the actual speed at which my modem connects.