Area 51 Reviewed

Qv

"Knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:Xns968717B45712knight37m@130.133.1.4...
> http://www.gamechronicles.com/reviews/pc/area51/area51.htm
>
> I give it 8 out of 10. A solid shooter that doesn't really do anything
> new, but is a lot of fun anyway.
>
> --
>
> Knight37 - http://knightgames.blogspot.com
>
> Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

8/10 is a very generous score. Everything about the game screams "been
there - done that". The graphics and gameplay are OK, but a save-anywhere
feature is missing and you can't skip the cut-scenes. The hyped-up voice
"talent" is simply there for marketing purposes. Personally I think
Duchovny's "performance" is terribly dull and the other voices could have
been played by just about anybody.

It's an average game in almost every respect so I would give it an average
score - 5/10.

Andrew

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 00:11:43 -0400, noone@home.net wrote:

> I've been playing it and find it fun and it has a nice story to go
>along with it. The graphics are as good as anything out IMO.

Are the graphics in the demo nothing like the full game then or do you
play all games on a DX7 or 8 card? There are loads of games in a
different league of graphic quality to what I saw in the demo.

NoOne

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 07:03:18 -0400, "Nonymous" <noham@nospam.com>
wrote:

> and the game plays ads
???

Nonymous

Distinguished
May 27, 2004

<noone@home.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 07:03:18 -0400, "Nonymous" <noham@nospam.com>
> wrote:
>
>> and the game plays ads

I meant "game play adds". The part of my brain that types had a fart.

If you just have to have a new shooter... I'm sure it's OK.

Sure, there's a dry spell of good PC action games, but life is too short,
and money is too dear, for mediocre games.

Andrew

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 15:26:55 GMT, "BuckFush" <notmyre@laddress.com>
wrote:

>Bad example - Riddick was an xbox port.

Oops, my bad :)

It still looks better than the Area 51 demo though.

"Magnulus" <magnulus@bellsouth.net> once tried to test me with:

> If you just have to have a new shooter... I'm sure it's OK.
>
> Sure, there's a dry spell of good PC action games, but life is too
> short,
> and money is too dear, for mediocre games.

For some, money is not too dear, and there's nothing else out now worth
playing so why not? Sure, it's a "been there, done that" title, but it's
pretty fun. I enjoyed my time with it, but it's certainly not staying on my
hard drive. Already finished and uninstalled it. I spent about 15 hours
total with it and that's about all it's good for. If 15 hours of
entertainment is worth $30 to you, then go for it, if not, pass. Or if
you're looking for the next Deus Ex, pass, because Area 51 ain't it.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

"Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> looked up from reading the entrails of the
porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>Isn't it interesting that the ONLY posts Knight37 ever starts are paens
>(look it up) to Area 51? As a matter of fact, the only threads you bother to
>reply to are about Area 51. Hmmm, could you be a paid spam whore/shill for
>the developers/marketers for Area51?

Isn't it interesting that Knight37 posts all kinds of things, and has
recently posted about Area51 because he reviewed it.

A short look back shows all kinds of things posted by him, but I guess
that took more than the 3.5 milliseconds your attention span managed to
keep focused before posting your conspiracy theory.

You sound like you belong to the tinfoil hat brigade.

Maybe someday you'll learn how to quote properly - hint, your .sig is
supposed to be the last thing in the post.

Xocyll

nostromo

Thus spake Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>, Wed, 06 Jul 2005 10:37:47 -0700,
Anno Domini:

>"Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> looked up from reading the entrails of the
>porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
>
>>Isn't it interesting that the ONLY posts Knight37 ever starts are paens
>>(look it up) to Area 51? As a matter of fact, the only threads you bother to
>>reply to are about Area 51. Hmmm, could you be a paid spam whore/shill for
>>the developers/marketers for Area51?
>
>Isn't it interesting that Knight37 posts all kinds of things, and has
>recently posted about Area51 because he reviewed it.
>
>A short look back shows all kinds of things posted by him, but I guess
>that took more than the 3.5 milliseconds your attention span managed to
>keep focused before posting your conspiracy theory.
>
>You sound like you belong to the tinfoil hat brigade.
>
>Maybe someday you'll learn how to quote properly - hint, your .sig is
>supposed to be the last thing in the post.
>
>Xocyll

Tx X - I was just about to...;-) (though I'm sure K doesn't need our help to
call a spade a troll :)

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

"Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> once tried to test me with:

> Isn't it interesting that the ONLY posts Knight37 ever starts are
> paens (look it up) to Area 51? As a matter of fact, the only threads
> you bother to reply to are about Area 51. Hmmm, could you be a paid
> spam whore/shill for the developers/marketers for Area51?

I've been on this newsgroup for years. Top posting n00b.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Thusly Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> Spake Unto All:

>"Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> once tried to test me with:
>
>> Isn't it interesting that the ONLY posts Knight37 ever starts are
>> paens (look it up) to Area 51? As a matter of fact, the only threads
>> you bother to reply to are about Area 51. Hmmm, could you be a paid
>> spam whore/shill for the developers/marketers for Area51?
>
>I've been on this newsgroup for years. Top posting n00b.

It's trolls. Probably just one or two, but posting under at least a
dozen different names. Definitely better quality trolls than the
normal fare we get here, though - they're actually amusing and you
have at least one persona defending you against "Doug" here.

Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> once tried to test me
with:

> It's trolls. Probably just one or two, but posting under at least a
> dozen different names. Definitely better quality trolls than the
> normal fare we get here, though - they're actually amusing and you
> have at least one persona defending you against "Doug" here.

You think Doug and Matamanolos are trolls?

I agree if these are trolls they're pretty good ones, considering they're
targeted and not crossposting.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Thusly Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> Spake Unto All:

>You think Doug and Matamanolos are trolls?
>
>I agree if these are trolls they're pretty good ones, considering they're
>targeted and not crossposting.

1) On second thought, maybe. 2) Yeah.

Knight37 wrote:
> Hey, thanks for the kind words. :)

You're welcome. You are one of my favorite posters ;)
Now, I have Area 51 on my queue of games and only played a few bits at
the beginning so I don't agree or disagree with your review, but it's
insane to call you spammer!

It's a pleasure to read you, just ignore the other guy.
Cheers!