Good case and power supply?

ADPankow

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2002
I am wondering what case and power supply would be good for these components and other features that I am looking for?

Motherboard: Asus A7V266-C
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 1800+
Memory: 512MB Kingston PC2100 DDR RAM
Video: ATi Radeon 8500 64MB BBA
Hard drive: Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 60 60GB 7200RPM
CD-ROM: Standard 56X? (Not final yet)
Floppy Drive: Standard 1.44MB

Features I am looking for:
Black case
Front side USB ports
Front side sound ports

And suggestions would be gladly appreciated!

ADPankow

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2002
Did I mention it being cheap as being another feature I am looking for? :-/ Well guess I did, add that factor to it if yah can still and tell me any other suggestions you may have. I would like to keep the case under $50 or so. I am prospecting the Super Case 7C443115 that was reviewed by THG, see it at http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/02q2/020521/case-22.html and tell me what you think as to that... and if you think that 300W PS could put out enough juice to power my rig. Thanks again!

andlcs

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2002
Get the ThermalTake 460W black one...
It's kind of expensive but the best...
Your power suply has to support at least 1A at the 5VSB volt rail and 15A on the +12V rail (since your XP consumption is 8A)...

don't get the creative 52X cd rom drive...
And Tt, Enermax or Antec PSU

DOOM

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2001
Actually, not having enough power can be a sneaky problem. It can cause random system hangs, which can damage data if they happen at the wrong time. I suppose it is possible, though unlikely, for hardware damage to occur as well.

Consider sufficient power to be a definite requirement.

-DOOM

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
After building my first system, and just getting the cheapest case I could find, I was disappointed in the case, and vowed never to cheeze the case again. I would show you a before picture, but I don't got a digital camera or a picture from the online retailer. The case isn't available anymore... :lol:

For the power supply, I will never go with another brand other than Enermax. Do not go with Hivision, as that caused me harm not too long ago. Do not go cheap with the PSU, because everything runs on that thing. If it isn't stable, then it won't do you any good in the long run.

Toejam31's recommendations:
<font color=green>My personal, absolute <i>minimum</i> specifications for a PSU to install in a modern system, regardless of the wattage or the brand name:

20A for the +3.3v line
30A for the +5v line
17A for the +12v line
165W for the combined +5v/+3.3v power
60A for the Inrush current at a cold boot</font color=green>

He was supposed to write a PSU FAQ in my forums, but I'm not sure when that'll be.

And for the case, I love my Antec SX1030B. It includes an Antec 300W power supply, which I'm not using since I have an Enermax 431W Whisper PSU. It's black and it has a cover for all the drives, but it doesn't fulfill your request for front side USB and sound ports.

Good luck!

Bryan

ADPankow

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2002
Ok... I have decided the price range and features I want heres the specs.

Features:
Black
Front or Side USB ports

Maximum Price All Together:
$100

So those are the features I am looking for and the maximum price I am willing to spend for the PSU and case. Keeping in mind the specs at the top of this post, can anyone recommend a good PSU and case? I want what you think is the best $100 can buy. Thank you very much for your opinions!