Want to find 64-bit, HT, dual-core, cache-size etc. in Int..

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Buried deep in the Intel web-site is the following very useful
table:-:-

http://www.intel.com/products/processor_number/proc_info_table062705.pdf

Since Intel is trying to sell off a bunch of their
non-64-bit-compatible desktop processors without dropping prices,
they have been quietly slipping new product numbers for the EM64T
versions into various processor families. Current Intel product
nomenclature seems to be a deliberately foggy mess.

The above table collects all the key information in one place, and
includes all current processor product numbers and families.

I found the above document by accident while hunting for other
information. It is not linked from the main processor selection pages.
The selection links given on these pages are worse than useless. After
a while of trying to use them, you feel like a mouse in a maze....

So, buyer beware... look at the above document before shopping for
your next Intel processor.

John Lewis
- Technology early-birds are flying guinea-pigs.

Nonymous

Distinguished
May 27, 2004
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Intel? Are those schmucks still in business? ;)

> Buried deep in the Intel web-site is the following very useful
> table:-:-
>
> http://www.intel.com/products/processor_number/proc_info_table062705.pdf
>
> Since Intel is trying to sell off a bunch of their
> non-64-bit-compatible desktop processors without dropping prices,
> they have been quietly slipping new product numbers for the EM64T
> versions into various processor families. Current Intel product
> nomenclature seems to be a deliberately foggy mess.
>
> The above table collects all the key information in one place, and
> includes all current processor product numbers and families.
>
> I found the above document by accident while hunting for other
> information. It is not linked from the main processor selection pages.
> The selection links given on these pages are worse than useless. After
> a while of trying to use them, you feel like a mouse in a maze....
>
> So, buyer beware... look at the above document before shopping for
> your next Intel processor.
>
> John Lewis
> - Technology early-birds are flying guinea-pigs.

I dunno what the massive crosspost was about, especially since it didn't
even include comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, but it's been removed.

John Lewis wrote:

>Since Intel is trying to sell off a bunch of their
>non-64-bit-compatible desktop processors without dropping prices,
>they have been quietly slipping new product numbers for the EM64T
>versions into various processor families. Current Intel product
>nomenclature seems to be a deliberately foggy mess.

I gave up on intel quite some time ago. If it isn't AMD I don't want
it. At least they know they have to do something for customers.

--
Philosophy: That attempt to explain why so much about life makes us cuss.

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 21:34:56 -0400, "Nonymous" <noham@nospam.com>
wrote:

>Intel? Are those schmucks still in business? ;)

My next desktop system will be AMD X2. Writing as an Intel-system
builder and user up to this point. The decision to change is all
technical... no emotion in it. AMD just simply has the best
performance/price for my specific needs. And AMD is certainly
far more environment-friendly, considering the relative
power-consumptions.

John Lewis
- Technology early-birds are flying guinea-pigs.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

that is why we now buy AMD :)

Henrik

> Buried deep in the Intel web-site is the following very useful
> table:-:-
>
> http://www.intel.com/products/processor_number/proc_info_table062705.pdf
>
> Since Intel is trying to sell off a bunch of their
> non-64-bit-compatible desktop processors without dropping prices,
> they have been quietly slipping new product numbers for the EM64T
> versions into various processor families. Current Intel product
> nomenclature seems to be a deliberately foggy mess.
>
> The above table collects all the key information in one place, and
> includes all current processor product numbers and families.
>
> I found the above document by accident while hunting for other
> information. It is not linked from the main processor selection pages.
> The selection links given on these pages are worse than useless. After
> a while of trying to use them, you feel like a mouse in a maze....
>
> So, buyer beware... look at the above document before shopping for
> your next Intel processor.
>
> John Lewis
> - Technology early-birds are flying guinea-pigs.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Nonymous got up from the bar and shouted: :
> Intel? Are those schmucks still in business? ;)

Errm, yes, they ship over 80% of the worlds CPU's....

alex

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 23:30:00 +0100, Black Shuck
<mark.gillespie@gmail.com> wrote:

>Nonymous got up from the bar and shouted: :
>> Intel? Are those schmucks still in business? ;)
>
>Errm, yes, they ship over 80% of the worlds CPU's....

You should go get your irony-meter checked out - I think it needs
adjusting.

--
Alex
atheist #2007

Centurion

Distinguished
May 28, 2004

John Lewis wrote:

> Buried deep in the Intel web-site is the following very useful
> table:-:-
>
> http://www.intel.com/products/processor_number/proc_info_table062705.pdf
>
> Since Intel is trying to sell off a bunch of their
> non-64-bit-compatible desktop processors without dropping prices,
> they have been quietly slipping new product numbers for the EM64T
> versions into various processor families. Current Intel product
> nomenclature seems to be a deliberately foggy mess.

Another reason why the company I work for is replacing all servers with
Multi-Opteron based machines (as the existing machines reach the end of
their life cycles). AMD gives us better bangs-per-buck, better performance
(especially throughput) and lower power consumption than the multi-Xeon's
they replace.

James
--
That that is is that that is not is not.

John Lewis wrote:
> Buried deep in the Intel web-site is the following very useful
> table:-:-
>
> http://www.intel.com/products/processor_number/proc_info_table062705.pdf
>
> Since Intel is trying to sell off a bunch of their
> non-64-bit-compatible desktop processors without dropping prices,
> they have been quietly slipping new product numbers for the EM64T
> versions into various processor families. Current Intel product
> nomenclature seems to be a deliberately foggy mess.
>
> The above table collects all the key information in one place, and
> includes all current processor product numbers and families.
>
> I found the above document by accident while hunting for other
> information. It is not linked from the main processor selection pages.
> The selection links given on these pages are worse than useless. After
> a while of trying to use them, you feel like a mouse in a maze....
>
> So, buyer beware... look at the above document before shopping for
> your next Intel processor.

Great...we are back to the old days :-(

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 11:45:44 -0600, James Garvin
<jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote:

>John Lewis wrote:
>> Buried deep in the Intel web-site is the following very useful
>> table:-:-
>>
>> http://www.intel.com/products/processor_number/proc_info_table062705.pdf
>>
>> Since Intel is trying to sell off a bunch of their
>> non-64-bit-compatible desktop processors without dropping prices,
>> they have been quietly slipping new product numbers for the EM64T
>> versions into various processor families. Current Intel product
>> nomenclature seems to be a deliberately foggy mess.
>>
>> The above table collects all the key information in one place, and
>> includes all current processor product numbers and families.
>>
>> I found the above document by accident while hunting for other
>> information. It is not linked from the main processor selection pages.
>> The selection links given on these pages are worse than useless. After
>> a while of trying to use them, you feel like a mouse in a maze....
>>
>> So, buyer beware... look at the above document before shopping for
>> your next Intel processor.
>
>Great...we are back to the old days :-(

For a little additional fun, go here:-

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/DownloadableAssets/AMD-Intel_Full_Complaint.pdf

(you may need to unwrap the above text )

The most readable ( and revealing ) document of this type that I
have seen in years. The people who wrote it are gifted with great
clarity for all readers ( and have a terrific sense of subtle humor
too ). A highly informative and potentially explosive literary
masterpiece. Definitely a worthy bed-time read.

John Lewis wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 11:45:44 -0600, James Garvin
> <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>John Lewis wrote:
>>
>>>Buried deep in the Intel web-site is the following very useful
>>>table:-:-
>>>
>>>http://www.intel.com/products/processor_number/proc_info_table062705.pdf
>>>
>>>Since Intel is trying to sell off a bunch of their
>>>non-64-bit-compatible desktop processors without dropping prices,
>>>they have been quietly slipping new product numbers for the EM64T
>>>versions into various processor families. Current Intel product
>>>nomenclature seems to be a deliberately foggy mess.
>>>
>>>The above table collects all the key information in one place, and
>>>includes all current processor product numbers and families.
>>>
>>>I found the above document by accident while hunting for other
>>>information. It is not linked from the main processor selection pages.
>>>The selection links given on these pages are worse than useless. After
>>>a while of trying to use them, you feel like a mouse in a maze....
>>>
>>>So, buyer beware... look at the above document before shopping for
>>>your next Intel processor.
>>
>>Great...we are back to the old days :-(
>

> For a little additional fun, go here:-
>
> http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/DownloadableAssets/AMD-Intel_Full_Complaint.pdf
>
> (you may need to unwrap the above text )
>
> The most readable ( and revealing ) document of this type that I
> have seen in years. The people who wrote it are gifted with great
> clarity for all readers ( and have a terrific sense of subtle humor
> too ). A highly informative and potentially explosive literary
> masterpiece. Definitely a worthy bed-time read.

Classic! I hope AMD helps release Intel's strangle hold on the market.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 09:50:32 -0600, James Garvin
<jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote:

>John Lewis wrote:
>> For a little additional fun, go here:-
>>
>> http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/DownloadableAssets/AMD-Intel_Full_Complaint.pdf
>>
>> (you may need to unwrap the above text )
>>
>> The most readable ( and revealing ) document of this type that I
>> have seen in years. The people who wrote it are gifted with great
>> clarity for all readers ( and have a terrific sense of subtle humor
>> too ). A highly informative and potentially explosive literary
>> masterpiece. Definitely a worthy bed-time read.
>
>Classic! I hope AMD helps release Intel's strangle hold on the market.

If AMD present their case in court with the same flair and
backup their assertions in the complaint with hard facts and
testimonial evidence, there should be no problem convincing
a jury of lay folks. If 80% of the allegations about Intel's
business practices are really true, then if I were Paul Otellini
I would offer to settle long before the case hits the dock...
It could cost Intel a $billion or 2 or 3 if the requested
triple-damages are awarded. The complaint should stimulate
Intel to begin to mend its ways immediately ( softly, softly, of
course) otherwise AMD will have additional fuel for the
damages fire. The timing of the complaint is not coincidental;
it comes at a time when AMD has a huge business opportunity
in Opteron servers... and the biggest potential target is Dell,
who is indeed getting lots of pressure from big customers
for Opteron servers. The publicity surrounding the complaint
and the stark allegations with respect to the long-hinted
cozy relationship between Dell and Intel should increase the
customer pressure. An AMD breakthrough in Dell's server
business is likely to bring other cards in the shaky Intel
sales-pyramid tumbling down. AMD has problems supplying
volume to the desktop market, but will have no problem
servicing all potential OEM x86-server needs.

John Lewis