  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
Share
July 4, 2005 12:04:40 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

I think SteamKiller's idea of a monthly poll across the
comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.* newsgroups is a good idea.

In know there has been a kind of poll already started on *.action, but here
goes anyway;

If anyone interested in gaining an insight into what others are buying and
why, then please also post your games purchase during the month of June
below;

I'll start the ball rolling with;

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - published by Take Two (?); Dev is Rockstar
North

Battlefield 2 - published by EA. Dev is Dice.

I think I bought Silent Hunter 3 in June, but not sure.

All non flaming/trolling replies appreciated!

Schrödinger

More about : monthly games bought poll

Anonymous
July 4, 2005 12:04:41 AM

"Schrodinger" <no@way.com> wrote in message

> If anyone interested in gaining an insight into what others are buying and
> why, then please also post your games purchase during the month of June
> below;

I made no gaming purchases of any sort in the month of June but should point
out that it is uncommon for me to go for a whole month without buying a game
of some sort.
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 1:17:47 AM

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 20:04:40 GMT, "Schrodinger" <no@way.com> wrote:

>I think S***K***s idea of a monthly poll across the
>comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.* newsgroups is a good idea.

One snag, have you EVER seen a list of S****K*******'s own
purchases ?

Please restrain yourself from feeding the troll until we are finally
certain that the swamp has swallowed him.

>All non flaming/trolling replies appreciated!

My reply is not intended to flame you. The idea is excellent, the
timing may be wrong....

If you ever get a reply from s***K***** on this thread, either do not
reply at all (best) or sabotage any quote so that the troll-filters
for the above person(?) still work....

My June purchases: BF2, San Andreas.

>Schrödinger

John Lewis

- Technology early-birds are flying guinea-pigs.
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 1:48:49 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 21:17:47 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis) wrote:

<snip>

My purchases are:

Dungeon Lords
Boiling Point
Battlefield 2
GTA: SA
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (just kidding :-)
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 6:31:44 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

"Schrodinger" <no@way.com> wrote in message news:<rxXxe.84346$4g1.70013@fe11.news.easynews.com>...
> If anyone interested in gaining an insight into what others are buying and
> why, then please also post your games purchase during the month of June
> below;

Mount&Blade Beta, TaleWorlds
I got if for cheap as it is Beta, updates to future versions are free.
Had nice time with it, but there is little to do besides combat and
training units, and there is no reason to take part in the big battles
which might pose a risk. Plus losing a battle costs too much (*all*
own units).
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 9:02:06 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 17:12:02 -0600, "NightSky 421"
<nightsky421@yahoo.ca> wrote:

>I made no gaming purchases of any sort in the month of June but should point
>out that it is uncommon for me to go for a whole month without buying a game
>of some sort.

What genuine discipline !!

I am unlikely to buy anything in July and August -- enjoying Summer,
unless I find something tempting when wandering the bargain-bins.

However, some very interesting (to me) offerings begin to show up in
September.

John Lewis
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 10:16:26 AM

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 20:04:40 GMT, Schrodinger wrote:

> If anyone interested in gaining an insight into what others are buying and
> why, then please also post your games purchase during the month of June
> below;

In June, I bought Fate, The Fall (extended version), and Dungeon Lords. I
also have a subscription for WoW.

M.
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 11:24:34 AM

> What genuine discipline !!

LOL, yeah, I don't know how I managed! :-)

Seriously though, it really was a case that I did not find anything
particularly compelling, or could not find something at a price I wanted.
Also, I have to admit that the StarForce copy protection scared me away from
a couple of games.

> I am unlikely to buy anything in July and August -- enjoying Summer,
> unless I find something tempting when wandering the bargain-bins.

Even though I've made the switch from CRT to LCD, my computer still
generates more heat than I would like in the summer (although it is more
bearable now). This in turn discourages me from gaming very much except
when it's cloudy and cooler out.

> However, some very interesting (to me) offerings begin to show up in
> September.

This is likely to be the case here too.
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 12:24:50 PM

On 3 Jul 2005 22:29:23 -0700, S*** K*** wrote:-

>x-no-archive: yes
>
>Schrodinger wrote:
>
>> If anyone interested in gaining an insight into what others
>> are buying and why, then please also post your games purchase
>> during the month of June below;
>
>month: june 2005
>total: 5
>list:
>. psychotoxic
>(new/dvd-rom/euro retail/whiptail/dvd single package/2004)
>. grand prix 4
>(new/cd-rom/euro retail/atari/dvd single package/2002)
>. hot wheels stunt track challenge
>(new/cd-rom/euro retail/thq/dvd single package/2004)
>. doom 3
>(new/cd-rom/euro retail/id software/dvd double package/2004)
>. doom 3 resurrection of evil
>(new/cd-rom/euro retail/id software/dvd single package/2005)
>
>ps: game legend = (game condition/game format/game market/
>game publisher/game box/game year)
>
>ps: i can take a photo of boxes if anyone makes available
>webspace to put it on
>
>ps: thanks Schrodinger

Hey, the Yachtsman is going to have your a** for only buying
discounted titles. Even Resurrection of Evil, which is selling very
poorly, and already discounted to $19.99.

Thanks for the list.

John Lewis
July 4, 2005 1:28:00 PM

"NightSky 421" <nightsky421@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> "Schrodinger" <no@way.com> wrote in message
>>
>> If anyone interested in gaining an insight into what others are buying
>> and why, then please also post your games purchase during the month of
>> June below;
>>

> I made no gaming purchases of any sort in the month of June but should
> point out that it is uncommon for me to go for a whole month without
> buying a game of some sort.

Thx for the reply anyway!
July 4, 2005 1:32:26 PM

"von Schmidt" <von_schmidt@mail.com> wrote in message

Schrodinger wrote:
> I think SteamKiller's idea of a monthly poll across the
> comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.* newsgroups is a good idea.
>
> In know there has been a kind of poll already started on *.action, but
> here
> goes anyway;

SNIP
> All non flaming/trolling replies appreciated!
>
> Schrödinger

> Since your e-mail is polite, with proper punctuation:

Thanks!

>Decisive Battles of WW2: Battles in Italy (turnbased wargame)
>Crown of Glory (turnbased Napoleontic strategy)
>Morrowind GOTY (mediocre RPG, excellent value for a measly £5
>pricetag!!)

>-von Schmidt
>(hope nobody minds the crossposting)

I used to love turn based wargaming - from playing hex/board games such as
Swords and Sorcery or Battles of Russian front (a massive paper board hex
based wargame we had to set up in our loft) to the Battle Isle series.

I recently tried Combat Mission, didn't like it and unwittingly started a
very long flame war after posting about it. I'll try out Decisive Battles -
sounds good!

Schrodinger
July 4, 2005 1:55:47 PM

Schrodinger wrote:
> I think SteamKiller's idea of a monthly poll across the
> comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.* newsgroups is a good idea.
>
> In know there has been a kind of poll already started on *.action, but here
> goes anyway;
>
> If anyone interested in gaining an insight into what others are buying and
> why, then please also post your games purchase during the month of June
> below;
>
> I'll start the ball rolling with;
>

> Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - published by Take Two (?); Dev is Rockstar
> North
>
> Battlefield 2 - published by EA. Dev is Dice.
>

> I think I bought Silent Hunter 3 in June, but not sure.
>

> All non flaming/trolling replies appreciated!
>
> Schrödinger

Silent Hunter III - highly recommended
BF2 - Just as my mate ended up with two copies so I got it for a tenner.
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 4:44:11 PM

"Schrodinger" <no@way.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> All non flaming/trolling replies appreciated!

Battlefield 2
GTA: San Andreas

Bargain:
Vietcong: Purple Haze

OEM:
Pacific Fighers (came with my X850XT)
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 4:44:12 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

In article <dab3rm$iqd$1@paperboy.si.eunet.at>, mooskugerl@DELETEgmx.at
says...

Fate

Oasis

- Gerry Quinn
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 9:50:05 PM

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 09:55:47 GMT, JAB wrote:

> Silent Hunter III - highly recommended

Ah, thanks! I had completely missed the release of SH3! Just ordered it and
noticed that the German version comes on a DVD is and significantly more
expensive than the US version (40 Euro vs 30 USD). I hope there's some
extra content on the DVD, too. I used to be a real SH junkie, but totally
missed out on SH2. I don't normally buy, play or enjoy war simulations, but
this one I can't resist. Hopefully it's anything like the prequels.

M.
--
A social command line for the web: http://www.yubnub.org/ Very geeky! ;)
Anonymous

Schrodinger wrote:
> I think SteamKiller's idea of a monthly poll across the
> comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.* newsgroups is a good idea.
>
> In know there has been a kind of poll already started on *.action, but here
> goes anyway;
>
> If anyone interested in gaining an insight into what others are buying and
> why, then please also post your games purchase during the month of June
> below;
>
> I'll start the ball rolling with;
>

> Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - published by Take Two (?); Dev is Rockstar
> North
>
> Battlefield 2 - published by EA. Dev is Dice.
>

> I think I bought Silent Hunter 3 in June, but not sure.
>

> All non flaming/trolling replies appreciated!
>
> Schrödinger

ESOTLC and HOMMAGAG

And if you don't know what they are, why crosspost to the
adventure game newsgroup?
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 12:58:09 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 07:24:34 -0600, "NightSky 421"
<nightsky421@yahoo.ca> wrote:

>"John Lewis" <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>
>> What genuine discipline !!
>>

>LOL, yeah, I don't know how I managed! :-)
>
>Seriously though, it really was a case that I did not find anything
>particularly compelling, or could not find something at a price I wanted.

Shhh... don't let ' i own a yacht' hear you say that... he only buys
at full retail price and lambasts those that don't....

John Lewis
July 5, 2005 2:48:18 AM

"i own a yacht" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action John Lewis <john.dsl@verizon.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Shhh... don't let ' i own a yacht' hear you say that... he
>> only buys
>> at full retail price and lambasts those that don't....
>
> no, just the people, such as yourself, who continually criticize
> and
> insult others for not "supporting" developers and publishers and
> then
> spend most of their money on used or reduced-price games. that's
> called
> hypocrisy. your game library, by your own admission, is made up
> of at
> least 50% used games. and no publisher or developer saw any of
> that
> money. i only wonder why you're so pigheaded that you're unable
> to see
> the problem with your position when you're whining about other
> people
> not doing their part to support developers. you asked me to send
> cheque to the developers of boiling point because i was able to
> play
> their game for free and apparently that's not fair!! so.. have
> you made
> out any cheques to all those developers you ripped off over the
> years by
> buying their games used? why ask me to do something you yourself
> are
> totally unprepared to do? (something about being a self-righteous
> wanker..)

I'll make out a check to them when they make out a check to me for
most games not performing as advertised.
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 5:09:30 AM

"Schrodinger" <no@way.com> once tried to test me with:

> I think SteamKiller's idea of a monthly poll across the
> comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.* newsgroups is a good idea.
>
> In know there has been a kind of poll already started on *.action, but
> here goes anyway;
>
> If anyone interested in gaining an insight into what others are buying
> and why, then please also post your games purchase during the month of
> June below;

PC Games purchased:

Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle-Earth
Restricted Area
Grand Thef Auto San Andreas

XBox Games Purchased:
Xmen Legends
Freedom Fighters
The Suffering

Review games (these were free):
Still Life (Xbox)
Area 51 (PC)

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 5:55:25 PM

On 5 Jul 2005 02:33:31 -0700, oceanclub wrote:

> But, how on earth
> does a plain list of games bought by someone I don't know give me any
> insight about them?

People get to know each other over the years of participating in these
newsgroups. Part of this is that you learn their tastes, what games they
enjoy, and how compatible their opinions are to your own ones. Of course,
you're right that without a reason, these lists may not be all that
insightful, but still, I find it interesting to see what games the regulars
here purchase, if only because it provides an opportunity to ask how they
liked the game and whether they'd recommend it.

> It merely comes across like just a dick-swinging "I can afford more
> games than you" exercise.

I think that most people here are adults with jobs, and thus can afford to
buy three or four games a month without having to save. Granted, there are
also regulars who are currently unemployed, but I don't assume that people
go out of their way to upset others who face financial hardship. Also, I
picked up Thief 3 just earlier today because I saw it for ten Euro; I think
that this is well within the price range of everyone who has a computer
that can run the game. If someone wants to "swing their dick", they could
simply post titles of recent games, as nobody can verify that their claims
are true.

> matters far more to me than some kid with attention deficit disorder,
> too much pocket money and a tendency to boast.

Most games I buy these days fail to attract me. That started perhaps six or
seven years ago and still continues. I'm grateful if I get ten hours of
entertainment out of a new game right now. It's certainly possible that I
developed attention deficit disorder, though that wouldn't explain why a
select few games managed to keep me addicted to them for years (Ultima
Online, Diablo 2, some others). Perhaps I've just become jaded, I don't
know. Twenty years ago, new games tended to keep me tied to them for
months, and it was the rule rather than the exception. I'm not saying that
games have gotten worse (that's Trasher's theory), but the fact remains
that most of the games fail to keep me attracted for longer than a week.

> I'd rather see people do _one_ decent review of a game,
> which is something you rarely see here.

No disagreement here.

M.
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 10:27:26 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

My list of PC games purchased in June, 2005 (all newsgroups cut except
C.S.I.P.G.A):

Some fairly recent, some not-so-fairly recent, and some' "old" mostly
Adventure genre games, and all for PC:

Aura: Fate of the Ages:
Sentinel: Descendants in Time (look for a re-name from the publisher, The
Adventure Company soon)
Nancy Drew: The Curse of Blackmoor Manor
Dark Fall II: Lights Out!
Doom 3
Vampires Masquerades: Bloodlines
Still Life (again, PC only)
Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Silver Earring
Bioscopia
Silent Hill 3 (again, PC only)
Syberia
Syberia II

Stiil want to play Schizm II (Mysterious Journey II: Chameleon) and Alida,
but haven't run across these yet

As one may well surmise, I upgraded my PC and can now play all these games
smoothly (where I couldn't before).

Thanks!

Mark
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 12:27:52 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

i by new auto theft guy but my mom says i cant play it :(  i also by
restarant empire and its the best food game evar! :)  i also by
torrente which is lol what games are you going to by this month?
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 1:12:08 AM

"Schrodinger" <no@way.com> wrote on 03 heinä 2005:

> If anyone interested in gaining an insight into what others are
> buying and why, then please also post your games purchase during
> the month of June below;

Pirates of the Sword Coast premium module for Neverwinter Nights
(excellent!)

I bought it because it's a D&D game and I was craving for good NWN
modules (still am, I want more).

The only two other games I've bought this year were Sims 2 and Freedom
Force 2. I also occasionally pay a month of City of Heroes.

I have the money to buy more games, but I don't see any more superhero
or D&D games coming out, so games companies don't get my money. Their
loss, my more free time.

--
Samy Merchi | samy@iki.fi | http://www.iki.fi/samy | #152235689
Reader of superhero comic books, writer of superhero fanfiction

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 06:16:26 +0200, Michael Vondung wrote:

> In June, I bought Fate, The Fall (extended version), and Dungeon Lords. I
> also have a subscription for WoW.

Okay, here are the reasons:

Fate: It's a very well-done, "light" breed of Nethack and Diablo 2, which
quite appeals to me. There's no story line, no complex gameplay or steep
learning curve, it's just plain fun for whenever you have an hour or two
for hack'n'slash and treasure hunting. I particularly like how available
the developer is. He even provided his own Excel sheets for various
monster, skill and treasure stats when asked via email. For 20 dollars,
this is a real steal. Get this one if you remotely like the genre, even if
just to support low-prices games.

The Fall: This game came out in Germany in last fall already, but it was
bug-ridden and incomplete like so many titles lately, so I had skipped it.
The developer continued to provide patches and eventually released a 1.2 GB
large update, the "extended version". Most of the bugs had been fixed and
various interfaces were changed based on user feedback. So, I finally went
out and picked up the game. Haven't regretted it yet. So far it seems like
a fun apocalypsic CRPG with pretty graphics and an immersing plot. I'm not
normally into "...in the Ashes" (I'm almost embarrassed that I read these
books!) and "Postman" settings, but I have to admit the setting is very
atmospheric. It's a good game. Patch 1.9, which should be released soon,
will rebalance the weapons and finally introduce facial mimics in the
dialogs, so the international/English release shouldn't be far off. This is
a game I can *now* recommend.

Dungeon Lords: Oh, well, what can I say? Great design, plenty of potential,
but the game is terribly incomplete and unfinished, even after patch 1.3. I
meant to return it to the store, but the softie I am I decided to keep it
anyway. If the developers keep working on it, this could turn into a real
neat fantasy CRPG. As it stands right now, I can't really recommend it,
though.

Preview for next month: I picked up Silent Hunter 3, Thief 3 and Sacred
Underworld (yes, yes, I bought it -- sue me!) yesterday. Haven't had much
time to play those yet, so it'll be a while before I have formed an
opportunity on these games. I doubt I'll buy anything else in July, but
we'll see. SH3 looks extremely promising, and I normally dislike WW2 games
(am too close to the history of my people, and had a grandfather who shared
many of his wartime experiences with me, and he never glorified them --
deep down, I find it perverted to turn the suffering and desperation of
these men and women into a source of entertainment).

Totally unrelated: I just re-read the first six books of Terry Goodkind's
"Sword of Truth" cirlce (had read them in 1995-97) and still believe they
are more worthwhile than most games. :)

M.
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 10:15:33 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 00:06:38 +0200, Michael Vondung
<mvondung@gmail.com> wrote:

>Totally unrelated: I just re-read the first six books of Terry Goodkind's
>"Sword of Truth" cirlce (had read them in 1995-97) and still believe they
>are more worthwhile than most games. :)

I got as fat as book 4 and gave up - the most depressing series of
books ever. The guy treats his characters like pets in his own little
private emotional torture dungeon...

And what's with all the carrots ?
July 6, 2005 11:21:15 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 20:04:40 GMT, "Schrodinger" <no@way.com> dared
speak in front of ME:
>All non flaming/trolling replies appreciated!

Bite me, catboi.

Just trying to fulfill one of the laws of usenet: If you ask for no
flames, you are sure to get them :p
--
Address no longer works.
try removing all numbers from

July 6, 2005 11:21:16 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

On 3 Jul 2005 22:29:23 -0700, "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com>
dared speak in front of ME:

>month: june 2005
>total: 5
>list:
>. psychotoxic
>(new/dvd-rom/euro retail/whiptail/dvd single package/2004)

I've heard it's not just garbage, but rancid, festering garbage that
would only be played by someone desperately trying to bankroll the PC
games industry by supporting that which should not be supported.

--
Address no longer works.
try removing all numbers from
gafgirl1@2allstream3.net

July 7, 2005 12:12:39 AM

Samy Merchi <samy@iki.fi> wrote in news:Xns968B1F94381Esamyikifi@
130.232.1.14:

> "Schrodinger" <no@way.com> wrote on 03 heinä 2005:
>
>> If anyone interested in gaining an insight into what others are
>> buying and why, then please also post your games purchase during
>> the month of June below;
>
> Pirates of the Sword Coast premium module for Neverwinter Nights
> (excellent!)
>
> I bought it because it's a D&D game and I was craving for good NWN
> modules (still am, I want more).
>
> The only two other games I've bought this year were Sims 2 and Freedom
> Force 2. I also occasionally pay a month of City of Heroes.
>
> I have the money to buy more games, but I don't see any more superhero
> or D&D games coming out, so games companies don't get my money. Their
> loss, my more free time.

is there not a fantastic 4 game out?
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 12:39:47 AM

Stone Monkey <tenny2k@NOSPAMERSrtennant.fsnet.co.uk> wrote on 06

> is there not a fantastic 4 game out?

Is there? Hmmm...

--
Samy Merchi | samy@iki.fi | http://www.iki.fi/samy | #152235689
Reader of superhero comic books, writer of superhero fanfiction
"*Astrolabe*...whirls...*twirls*!"
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 4:47:04 AM

Samy Merchi <samy@iki.fi> once tried to test me with:

>> is there not a fantastic 4 game out?
>
> Is there? Hmmm...

Yes, there is. It's out for all three consoles and the PC. It's sort of an
action/RPG from what I've read. I've not played it yet. I'll probably get
it after I play Xmen Legends.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 4:49:48 AM

Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com> once tried to test me with:

>>Totally unrelated: I just re-read the first six books of Terry Goodkind's
>>"Sword of Truth" cirlce (had read them in 1995-97) and still believe they
>>are more worthwhile than most games. :)
>
> I got as fat as book 4 and gave up - the most depressing series of
> books ever. The guy treats his characters like pets in his own little
> private emotional torture dungeon...

That sounds like A Song of Ice and Fire series (George RR Martin). I enjoy
it, but it's pretty damn depressing, so far very little "good" has
happened. I'm in the middle of book 3. Book 4 should be out this year.
Supposedly.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 8:28:56 AM

On 5 Jul 2005 01:09:30 GMT, Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:

>"Schrodinger" <no@way.com> once tried to test me with:
>
>> I think SteamKiller's idea of a monthly poll across the
>> comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.* newsgroups is a good idea.
>>
>> In know there has been a kind of poll already started on *.action, but
>> here goes anyway;
>>
>> If anyone interested in gaining an insight into what others are buying
>> and why, then please also post your games purchase during the month of
>> June below;
>
>PC Games purchased:
>
>Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle-Earth
>Restricted Area
>Grand Thef Auto San Andreas
>
>XBox Games Purchased:
>Xmen Legends
>Freedom Fighters
>The Suffering
>
>Review games (these were free):
>Still Life (Xbox)
>Area 51 (PC)

sorry, didn't purchase any PC games this month unless you count
Stargunner which 3D Realms released as freeware... but i did buy 15
PS2 games - dirt cheap too

toadie
July 7, 2005 8:48:00 PM

toadie05@sbcglobal.net wrote in news:1pbpc1purq9sbngurvjm52ued7k8gtja3t@
4ax.com:

> sorry, didn't purchase any PC games this month unless you count
> Stargunner which 3D Realms released as freeware... but i did buy 15
> PS2 games - dirt cheap too
>
> toadie

your not a tr00 pcgamer you consolite skum! i bet those wear pirate games!

.... okay, time for my medication :-P

stePH
--
"Let me guess -- my theories appall you, my heresies outrage you,
I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

"stePH" <acetheta@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> toadie05@sbcglobal.net wrote in news:1pbpc1purq9sbngurvjm52ued7k8gtja3t@
> 4ax.com:
>
>> sorry, didn't purchase any PC games this month unless you count
>> Stargunner which 3D Realms released as freeware... but i did buy 15
>> PS2 games - dirt cheap too
>>
>> toadie
>
> your not a tr00 pcgamer you consolite skum! i bet those wear pirate games!

> ... okay, time for my medication :-P

7 for content, minus 2 for non-overuse of capital letters, minus 2 for not
nearly enough exclamation marks and minus 2 for not twisting your message to
have a pop at Steam or Valve. 1 scored overall.
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 5:48:40 PM

Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote on 07 heinä 2005:
> Samy Merchi <samy@iki.fi> once tried to test me with:
>
>>> is there not a fantastic 4 game out?
>>
>> Is there? Hmmm...

> Yes, there is. It's out for all three consoles and the PC. It's
> sort of an action/RPG from what I've read. I've not played it
> yet. I'll probably get it after I play Xmen Legends.

I might give it a shot. Is X-Men Legends available for the PC yet?
I've heard good things about it.

--
Samy Merchi | samy@iki.fi | http://www.iki.fi/samy | #152235689
Reader of superhero comic books, writer of superhero fanfiction
"*Astrolabe*...whirls...*twirls*!"
July 8, 2005 10:18:00 PM

"Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in

>> your not a tr00 pcgamer you consolite skum! i bet those wear pirate
>> games!

>> ... okay, time for my medication :-P
>>

> 7 for content, minus 2 for non-overuse of capital letters, minus 2 for
> not nearly enough exclamation marks and minus 2 for not twisting your
> message to have a pop at Steam or Valve. 1 scored overall.

I'm only a dabbler, I admit it.

stePH
--
"Let me guess -- my theories appall you, my heresies outrage you,
I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."
-- The Doctor
July 8, 2005 10:18:01 PM

> I'm only a dabbler, I admit it.

:-) aint we all
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 4:01:36 AM

Samy Merchi <samy@iki.fi> once tried to test me with:

> Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote on 07 heinä 2005:
>> Samy Merchi <samy@iki.fi> once tried to test me with:

>>> Is there? Hmmm...
>
>> Yes, there is. It's out for all three consoles and the PC. It's
>> sort of an action/RPG from what I've read. I've not played it
>> yet. I'll probably get it after I play Xmen Legends.
>
> I might give it a shot. Is X-Men Legends available for the PC yet?
> I've heard good things about it.

I don't think Xmen Legends is ever going to be on the PC, but I could be
wrong. They're already working on Legends 2 and I think it's also scheduled
for multi-platform release but I don't know about PC or not.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 9:10:19 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic.]

On 2005-07-04, Michael Vondung <mvondung@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ah, thanks! I had completely missed the release of SH3! Just ordered it and
> noticed that the German version comes on a DVD is and significantly more
> expensive than the US version (40 Euro vs 30 USD). I hope there's some
> extra content on the DVD, too. I used to be a real SH junkie, but totally
> missed out on SH2. I don't normally buy, play or enjoy war simulations, but
> this one I can't resist. Hopefully it's anything like the prequels.

The US version is on DVD, and retails for $40.

It's a very good game.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["An Irishman is never drunk as long as he
can hold onto one blade of grass and not fall off the face of the earth."]

> Schrodinger wrote:
> (SNIP)
>> I used to love turn based wargaming - from playing hex/board games such
>> as
>> Swords and Sorcery or Battles of Russian front (a massive paper board hex
>> based wargame we had to set up in our loft) to the Battle Isle series.
>>
>> I recently tried Combat Mission, didn't like it and unwittingly started a
>> very long flame war after posting about it. I'll try out Decisive
>> Battles -
>> sounds good!
>>
>> Schrodinger
>
> It is definitely the best turnbased, operational-level wargame series
> out there; currently comprising in order of publishing:
> - Ardennes offensive (SSG have made it available for free at
> htttp://www.ssgus.com/tao2.exe). Give it a shot and see if it grabs
> your attention!
> - Korsun pocket: Russian front 1944.
> - Battles in Normandy (D-day; best in series IMO)
> - Battles in Italy (more recent than BiN, bit of a slugfest)
>
> The last three are available at www.matrixgames.com; as digital
> download or mail order (or both).
>
> Cheers,
>
> - von Schmidt

Thanks for the link - wouldn't work on my XP installed - I'm going to take a
flyer with this and buy Battles In Normandy.
July 10, 2005 9:14:46 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 18:15:33 +0100, Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com>
dared speak in front of ME:

>On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 00:06:38 +0200, Michael Vondung
><mvondung@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Totally unrelated: I just re-read the first six books of Terry Goodkind's
>>"Sword of Truth" cirlce (had read them in 1995-97) and still believe they
>>are more worthwhile than most games. :)
>
>I got as fat as book 4 and gave up - the most depressing series of
>books ever. The guy treats his characters like pets in his own little
>private emotional torture dungeon...

Eh. It gets... well, more like an Ayn Rand "I'm telling a story, but
it's really a primer on Objectivism" novel as you go further.

--
Address no longer works.
try removing all numbers from
gafgirl1@2allstream3.net

July 11, 2005 11:01:51 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

On the 3 Jul 2005, "Schrodinger" <no@way.com> wrote:

<snip>

> If anyone interested in gaining an insight into what others are buying and
> why, then please also post your games purchase during the month of June
> below;

June: Nothing.

July to date: Darwinia.

I'm also likely to buy Immortal Cities: Children of the Nile this
month. I was going to get it instead of Darwinia, but the Durham branch
of Game had managed to lose their entire stock of the Strategy Guide CD
that was supposed to be bundled with it.

--
Jades' First Encounters Site - http://www.jades.org/ffe.htm
The best Frontier: First Encounters site on the Web.

nospam@jades.org /is/ a real email address!
!