Anyone heard of any companies licensing the Doom 3 engine?

Seems a bit quiet on that front. As I suspected at release I don't think we
are going to see anything other than corridor shooters from this one. I just
cannot see it being able to do large outdoor areas and that stuff about the
few outdoor bits in the game having an effective time limit due to lack of air
(the marine IS wearing a space/combat suit with helmet) being a design
decision just don't ring true to me.

Memnoch wrote:
> Seems a bit quiet on that front. As I suspected at release I don't think we
> are going to see anything other than corridor shooters from this one. I just
> cannot see it being able to do large outdoor areas and that stuff about the
> few outdoor bits in the game having an effective time limit due to lack of air
> (the marine IS wearing a space/combat suit with helmet) being a design
> decision just don't ring true to me.

Enemy Territory: Quake Wars is using a modified Doom 3 engine. It's
surprising how large and detailed the outdoor environments have been
thus far in the few screenshots released for it. The water looks
amazing as well which is refreshing after realizing that the nearest
substance to it was the toxic sludge in Doom 3. Of course we will have
to wait and see how the game delivers once it is ready for public
release.

http://www.bluesnews.com/screenshots/games/etqw/20050516/edf_base_scramble.shtml
http://www.3dgamers.com/news/more/1096482119/

The only other possible game to use the Doom 3 engine besides those
that Jamie_Manic already mentioned would be Sin 2. There's the slight
chance however that it might be using some other engine such as the
Unreal one.

--
Best Regards, mattchu
np: Soul Coughing - Pensacola

> I just cannot see it being able to do large outdoor areas and that stuff
> about the
> few outdoor bits in the game having an effective time limit due to lack of
> air
> (the marine IS wearing a space/combat suit with helmet) being a design
> decision just don't ring true to me.

That's Walter Mittys cue to come riding in on his faithful iD steed ready to
defend DOOM 3 against the hoards of nay sayers who reckon it's a clear case
of the King having no clothes.

Memnoch wrote:
> Seems a bit quiet on that front. As I suspected at release I don't think we
> are going to see anything other than corridor shooters from this one. I just
> cannot see it being able to do large outdoor areas and that stuff about the
> few outdoor bits in the game having an effective time limit due to lack of air
> (the marine IS wearing a space/combat suit with helmet) being a design
> decision just don't ring true to me.

Only ones that spring to mind are Quake 4 and Prey.

Toby

On 2005-07-03, Memnoch <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Seems a bit quiet on that front. As I suspected at release I don't think we
> are going to see anything other than corridor shooters from this one. I just
> cannot see it being able to do large outdoor areas and that stuff about the
> few outdoor bits in the game having an effective time limit due to lack of air
> (the marine IS wearing a space/combat suit with helmet) being a design
> decision just don't ring true to me.

In D3 you don't wear a helmet. You can look in the mirror in the
bathroom and see for yourself!

--
Toby.
field to circumvent my email filters.

Shawk wrote:
> One nice point - the original Sin levels are being converted to Source - no
> guarantee it will ever be released - just an experiment so far but maybe one
> day we'll see owners of Sin2 (or 'Episodes' as its correctly called) getting
> the original through Steam too.

That's good, potential news! I enjoyed Sin and its expansion Wages of
Sin tremendously. It felt like the spiritual sucessor to Duke Nukem 3D
with the then highly-interactive environments. If they included the
original and its expansion I'd buy Sin 2 just so I had stable, updated
versions of those. Unfortunately they don't run so well on modern
system. The graphics are distorted and the textures have a
hallucinogenic rainbow effect to them. It's playable but nauseating to
endure for more than a few minutes at a time. Using the software
renderer works better but many of the visual effects seemed to be
hardware dependent so you miss out on quite a bit that way.

--
Best Regards, mattchu
np: Plastic Bertrand - Sha La La La Lee

shawk

"mattchu" <wintlerpark@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> The only other possible game to use the Doom 3 engine besides those
> that Jamie_Manic already mentioned would be Sin 2. There's the slight
> chance however that it might be using some other engine such as the
> Unreal one.

Nope - according to the UK PCGamer (8 page spread) the good/bad news
(depending which side of the fence you're on) is that Sin2 is going to use
Valve's source engine and be exclusively distributed through Steam. It'll
be episodic selling in (approx) 6hr episodes for around $20 (£11). Episodes
will come out every 3 to 4 months. The Source engine has allegedly been
modified to make the AI even better (shoot someone in the leg and they'll
drop to the floor but still shoot at you until one of their pals drag them
to safety for eg). Looks damn good so far - not convinced on episodic
gaming though.

>>dont tell you know who<<

A link for those that dont get PCGamer ...
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=59893

One nice point - the original Sin levels are being converted to Source - no
guarantee it will ever be released - just an experiment so far but maybe one
day we'll see owners of Sin2 (or 'Episodes' as its correctly called) getting
the original through Steam too.

>> The only other possible game to use the Doom 3 engine besides those
>> that Jamie_Manic already mentioned would be Sin 2. There's the slight
>> chance however that it might be using some other engine such as the
>> Unreal one.
>>

> Nope - according to the UK PCGamer (8 page spread) the good/bad news
> (depending which side of the fence you're on) is that Sin2 is going to use
> Valve's source engine and be exclusively distributed through Steam. It'll
> be episodic selling in (approx) 6hr episodes for around $20 (£11).
> Episodes will come out every 3 to 4 months. The Source engine has
> allegedly been modified to make the AI even better (shoot someone in the
> leg and they'll drop to the floor but still shoot at you until one of
> their pals drag them to safety for eg). Looks damn good so far - not
> convinced on episodic gaming though.
>
>>>dont tell you know who<<
>
> A link for those that dont get PCGamer ...
> http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=59893
>
> One nice point - the original Sin levels are being converted to Source -
> no guarantee it will ever be released - just an experiment so far but
> maybe one day we'll see owners of Sin2 (or 'Episodes' as its correctly
> called) getting the original through Steam too.

Great news. Loved Sin..too bad it ran like a pig on some of the later
levels.

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 23:58:51 +0100, Jamie_Manic <yeahbutno@slag.com> wrote:

>Memnoch wrote:
>> Seems a bit quiet on that front. As I suspected at release I don't think we
>> are going to see anything other than corridor shooters from this one. I just
>> cannot see it being able to do large outdoor areas and that stuff about the
>> few outdoor bits in the game having an effective time limit due to lack of air
>> (the marine IS wearing a space/combat suit with helmet) being a design
>> decision just don't ring true to me.
>
>Only ones that spring to mind are Quake 4 and Prey.

Oh, I didn't realise Prey used it. I wonder if either of them will have
vehicle combat.

On 3 Jul 2005 20:33:39 -0700, "mattchu" <wintlerpark@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Memnoch wrote:
>> Seems a bit quiet on that front. As I suspected at release I don't think we
>> are going to see anything other than corridor shooters from this one. I just
>> cannot see it being able to do large outdoor areas and that stuff about the
>> few outdoor bits in the game having an effective time limit due to lack of air
>> (the marine IS wearing a space/combat suit with helmet) being a design
>> decision just don't ring true to me.
>
>Enemy Territory: Quake Wars is using a modified Doom 3 engine. It's
>surprising how large and detailed the outdoor environments have been
>thus far in the few screenshots released for it. The water looks
>amazing as well which is refreshing after realizing that the nearest
>substance to it was the toxic sludge in Doom 3. Of course we will have
>to wait and see how the game delivers once it is ready for public
>release.
>
>http://www.bluesnews.com/screenshots/games/etqw/20050516/edf_base_scramble.shtml
>http://www.3dgamers.com/news/more/1096482119/
>
>The only other possible game to use the Doom 3 engine besides those
>that Jamie_Manic already mentioned would be Sin 2. There's the slight
>chance however that it might be using some other engine such as the
>Unreal one.

Now that does look good. I hope I do end up eating my words and it plays as
good as it looks.

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 08:30:43 +0100, Toby <google@asktoby.com> wrote:

>On 2005-07-03, Memnoch <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> Seems a bit quiet on that front. As I suspected at release I don't think we
>> are going to see anything other than corridor shooters from this one. I just
>> cannot see it being able to do large outdoor areas and that stuff about the
>> few outdoor bits in the game having an effective time limit due to lack of air
>> (the marine IS wearing a space/combat suit with helmet) being a design
>> decision just don't ring true to me.
>
>In D3 you don't wear a helmet. You can look in the mirror in the
>bathroom and see for yourself!

Really? I don't think I ever paid attention. So I was wrong after all. The
Doom marine is an idiot after all. I mean, who would walk into an airlock
without a working helmet on!? ;-)

On 4 Jul 2005 16:21:54 -0700, "mattchu" <wintlerpark@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Shawk wrote:
>> One nice point - the original Sin levels are being converted to Source - no
>> guarantee it will ever be released - just an experiment so far but maybe one
>> day we'll see owners of Sin2 (or 'Episodes' as its correctly called) getting
>> the original through Steam too.
>
>That's good, potential news! I enjoyed Sin and its expansion Wages of
>Sin tremendously. It felt like the spiritual sucessor to Duke Nukem 3D
>with the then highly-interactive environments. If they included the
>original and its expansion I'd buy Sin 2 just so I had stable, updated
>versions of those. Unfortunately they don't run so well on modern
>system. The graphics are distorted and the textures have a
>hallucinogenic rainbow effect to them.

That's probably a driver problem. I've has no problems running SiN on my
system, as long as the video codec doesn't get corrupted.

Heretic 2 also gets crash problems - caused by the codec.

The first time I've seen a problem with a stable Quake 2 renderer was with
a computer with a faulty driver. The second time was with Daikatana.

> It's playable but nauseating to
>endure for more than a few minutes at a time. Using the software
>renderer works better but many of the visual effects seemed to be
>hardware dependent so you miss out on quite a bit that way.

You could try the 1.11 patch to see if it helps:
http://www.ritual.com/sin/files.html

It was released in early 2001, which should be modern enough to fix most
renderer problems.

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005, Raymond Martineau wrote:

> On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 07:55:22 GMT, factory <t@t.com> wrote:
>
> >Hmm IIRC id for the q3 engine were very strict about the quality of
> >games that used the engine when it was new, the theory being that if
> >the engine got associated with bad games it wouldn't be worth as much.
>
> Not a problem in practice.

I wouldn't say that. The Lithtech engine was regarded as a "cheap" engine
for a long time, probably because of all the budget games coming out using
it, like the Vietnam Black Ops or the WWII series. And now I can see this
trend continuing with Unreal engine games like Marine Heavy Gunner, Task
Force 121 and Army Rangers: Mogadishu (if the later one uses Unreal tech).

Memnoch wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 08:30:43 +0100, Toby <google@asktoby.com> wrote:
>>In D3 you don't wear a helmet. You can look in the mirror in the
>>bathroom and see for yourself!
>
> Really? I don't think I ever paid attention. So I was wrong after all. The
> Doom marine is an idiot after all. I mean, who would walk into an airlock
> without a working helmet on!? ;-)

I'd do it for sure if a demon from hell were chasing me!

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 01:17:08 -0300, Matamanolos <nomail@nomail.com> wrote:

>Memnoch wrote:
>> On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 08:30:43 +0100, Toby <google@asktoby.com> wrote:
>>>In D3 you don't wear a helmet. You can look in the mirror in the
>>>bathroom and see for yourself!
>>
>> Really? I don't think I ever paid attention. So I was wrong after all. The
>> Doom marine is an idiot after all. I mean, who would walk into an airlock
>> without a working helmet on!? ;-)
>
>I'd do it for sure if a demon from hell were chasing me!

Good point. Given a choice of a small chance of surviving near vacuum before
getting to another airlock and being almost certainly shredded by something
from another dimension perhaps I would look favourably at an airlock too.

redTed wrote:
>>I just cannot see it being able to do large outdoor areas and that stuff
>>about the
>>few outdoor bits in the game having an effective time limit due to lack of
>>air
>>(the marine IS wearing a space/combat suit with helmet) being a design
>>decision just don't ring true to me.
>

> That's Walter Mittys cue to come riding in on his faithful iD steed ready to
> defend DOOM 3 against the hoards of nay sayers who reckon it's a clear case
> of the King having no clothes.

Not really. We already know of Q4. We already know they've stated that
there are large play areas in it.

The rest is just guesswork from dickweeds like yourself.

--
Walter Mitty
-