hasui

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2001
Having a strange problem with my Quantum Fireball using Windows 2000 Server. When I try to do a Defrag or do Analysis on my C: partition, I get a "Engine Connection Lost".

This machine has had some problems with lightning induced power loss reboots. The other partitions seem to be fine and C: usually behaves fine except when it doesn't.

Most problems are on bootup either blue screens or boot failiures for instance:

STOP 0x00000067 (0x00000004, 0x00000008, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)CONFIG_INITIALIZATION_FAILED

I do get occasional spontaneous reboots when working, but most time thing work once the boot is over.

As this happens on several new hard drives I'm wondering if it could be the cables or the system board to which the HD plugs in. Board is a new CUSLC-2 with an Pentium 4 800 and has continued to intermittently have this type of problem since I got it.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

thanks

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by hasui on 09/02/02 12:58 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Bardic

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2001
A battery backup or replacing the power supply would be the first thing to try for the spontanous restarts.

The first thing to test for the harddrives would be to download something like the IBM drive fitness test, and run a scan on all the drives. I have had cases where it will tell me that my harddrive cable is bad.

Then I either have to unplug and re-plug the cable, and make sure it has good connection, or replace the cable. If it still has that problem, then it may be either the controller on the drive, or on the motherboard.

But that should at least tell you if it is harddrive related.

hasui

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2001
Thanks,

I'll try out the DFT and am now on a battery backup.

I have had occasions where unplugging and replugging the drive cables seem to have worked but it's hard to tell as the failiures are random.

Except for the drive cables, the floppy, CD and case I've used all new components, but Pentium 4, Quantum HD, CUSLC-2, a nice 2d graphics card and some name brand power supply do not a happy computer make.