MN-720 not connecting

Last response: in Networking
Share
May 2, 2004 9:45:53 PM

The adapter sees the Base Station but won't connect.
I have disabled WEP and still no connection.
Adapter just flashes slowly and connection status
says "not connected"
Network name and channel both match what is set up on the
base station.

Where do I go from here (back to the store for a refund
or exchange?)

More about : 720 connecting

Anonymous
May 2, 2004 10:13:46 PM

If you're on Windows XP, go to the Command Prompt (not Start/Run) and type
in "ipconfig" without the quotation marks to see if you're part of the
192.168.2.* default LAN IP system. If you're not, use "ipconfig /release"
followed by "ipconfig /renew" (again without quotes). You may need to
restart your computer to make the change take.

If that's not it, double-check your settings by going into Network
Connections, right-clicking the icon representing your LAN and selecting
Properties. Pay special attention to the TCP/IP settings, and take a look
on the Wireless Networks tab to make sure the MN-720 is on the correct
channel.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP

"gary" <gdlouhy1@comcast.net> wrote in message
> The adapter sees the Base Station but won't connect.
> I have disabled WEP and still no connection.
> Adapter just flashes slowly and connection status
> says "not connected"
> Network name and channel both match what is set up on the
> base station.
>
> Where do I go from here (back to the store for a refund
> or exchange?)

May 2, 2004 10:41:20 PM

ipconfig returned "Media not connected"
I have X on my icon
The correct channel is set for the ms-720

I must be missing something simple.

May 2, 2004 10:47:44 PM

Are you on Windows XP? If so, check in Control Panel/Administrative
Tools/Services and make sure UPnP and Wireless Zero Configuration are
enabled and running. Then remove the adapter from the system, restart and
manually configure it using the default Windows configuring instead of the
software.
--

> ipconfig returned "Media not connected"
> I have X on my icon
> The correct channel is set for the ms-720
>
> I must be missing something simple.

May 2, 2004 11:49:18 PM

Upnp was on manual...changed it to automatic
Wireless 0 was already on auto and started
So I rebooted and when I put the card back in it still
showed available network but would not connect.
Not sure what you mean by using the Windows Configuring.

May 2, 2004 11:50:12 PM

ps I am running XP Home.

Anonymous
May 3, 2004 1:05:59 AM

Go into Network Connections then right-click your LAN icon and select
Properties. Click the Wireless Networks tab and make sure there's a check
mark in Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings at the top.
In the Preferred networks area, make sure your own LAN is listed.

Going back to the General tab, make sure the MN-720 is listed and then you
can click the Configure button, so you can make sure you're on the right
channel, etc. Again, on the General tab, make sure you've got Client for
Microsoft Networks, File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks and
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) installed in the center pane. Highlight the
latter, then click the Properties button.

If your base station is serving DHCP (it should be), then you want dots in
the radials for Obtain an IP address ... and Obtain DNS server address -
both automatically. Second tab is Automatic private IP address. OK your
way out and restart the system.
--

> Upnp was on manual...changed it to automatic
> Wireless 0 was already on auto and started
> So I rebooted and when I put the card back in it still
> showed available network but would not connect.
> Not sure what you mean by using the Windows Configuring.

Anonymous
May 3, 2004 10:23:17 AM

I have the exact same problem. The card sees the router
for an instant then disconnects.

Channels are the same, both the card and the router are at
64bit encryption, same code.

If I right click on network neighborhood and look at the
LAN connection it has a big red X through it saying
unavailable. I have tried different PCI slots too.

I'm beginning to wonder if I have a defective card. The
machine/card in the basement work fine.

I've done all the ipconfig stuff too. I get told there is
no physical connection to the network at the DOS prompt.

Anonymous
May 3, 2004 11:14:06 AM

Check in Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services to make sure SSDP
Discovery Service, Universal Plug and Play and Wireless Zero Configuration
are all Started and running automatically.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP

>I have the exact same problem. The card sees the router
> for an instant then disconnects.
>
> Channels are the same, both the card and the router are at
> 64bit encryption, same code.
>
> If I right click on network neighborhood and look at the
> LAN connection it has a big red X through it saying
> unavailable. I have tried different PCI slots too.
>
> I'm beginning to wonder if I have a defective card. The
> machine/card in the basement work fine.
>
> I've done all the ipconfig stuff too. I get told there is
> no physical connection to the network at the DOS prompt.

May 3, 2004 2:29:15 PM

Exact same symptoms I am experienceing here.

Anonymous
May 5, 2004 4:15:35 PM

I had a similar problem... i called microsoft tech
support in india... and after almost 2 hours (his english
was alright) he told me to try Channel 1 on the base,
then reboot. when it came back up, it worked fine.

i think its something to do with the wireless slot. i
dunno. hope it helps!

May 5, 2004 5:12:30 PM

Chris:

They are all running and set to auto.

I swapped my 720 with the one that is working in the other
machine, sadly same thing happens in the bad machine. I'm
at wits-end. It's my kids' machine and I won't connect it
to the router via ethernet (I'd do that with my machine!).

I got my laptop running with the pcmcia adapter last night
too, win98, no hassles.

I've checked this board a bunch and it seems this is a
common problem. The techs should take notice.

Chris, thanks.

Steve

!