Will there be a serial drive to parallel converter

fireflayer

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2001
I just found out about an auction a local college puts on where they sell a bunch of servers for really cheap. I'm guessing I can get a RAID-5 card... not sure if it will be SCSI or IDE, but if it's IDE I'm interested in this.

I'm going to be purchasing 2-3 serial ATA drives assuming everything is good with them. Will there be some sort of a converter so I can run these on a parallel RAID-5 card?

Also, can a 64bit PCI card run in a 32bit... and once the new PCI revision takes place, will I be able to use the full bandwith of a 64bit card?

Thanks

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
well i know parallel to serial converters exist... so one would logically assume that revers ones would also be common during the swapover period and for some considerable time after.

<b>My CPU cooler is so Massive it bends Space and Time! :eek: </b>

fireflayer

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2001
I knew about the parallel to serial converter, the only reason I wasn't sure if they went both ways is if I remember right, for mice and keyboards, there is a USB>PS2, but not PS2>USB, but I guess this is something quite a ways away from input ports.

Thanks though, do you know this more than just speculation? Just wondering because if I'm going to spend $100 or whatever on a used RAID-5 card I'd like to be sure I'm able to use it with my new drives.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
not for certain no.
but think logically... about all the standard ata devices currently out there... manufacturers cant just cut them off cold. i see adaptors as having a long life ahead of them.

as for raid cards, something else may come into play... you can have 2 drives on a standard ata channel, yet it seems that only one is allowed with a serial ata cable. will this halve the number of drives u can use on that raid card? who knows

<b>My CPU cooler is so Massive it bends Space and Time! :eek: </b>

fireflayer

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2001
Yeah, I suppose (and hope) you're right about that. Now that I think about it, it seems simpler to convert a serial signal to parallel than the other way around, at least with my limited knowledge of the subject.

I'll probably end up going with a 4 channel card if I can find it, I'd hope that would be good enough for me regardless of if I can attach 1 or 2 disks/channel.