Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 x64 BSOD during install

Last response: in Windows 7
May 2, 2012 2:05:16 PM

I recently assembled a new computer, and I'm receiving a blue screen during the installation process. After loading all of the drivers windows crashes on the screen where the windows logo is displayed, before and kind of screens or prompts are displayed. I'm getting the following error message:

STOP: 0x0000007E

ACPI.SYS

Here are my system specs:

Core i5-3570K

Antec 550W 80+

4x 4gb G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3 1600

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155

Radeon HD 7850 PCI-E 3.0

WD Caviar 1TB 7200rpm

I have tried quite a few things to narrow down the problems. I don't believe my ram is the issue, I have run memtest86 on it and it tested all 16gigs with no errors. Out of frustration I have also taken my hdd and the windows iso dvd to an existing computer, pulled the hdd from that, and installed windows on the new hdd thinking that I could put that drive in my new computer after the install. However I'm getting the same problem when that hdd is put back in my new machine and I attempt to boot from it. I think that this does exclude the hdd or the burned iso dvd as being the issue though.

I also put in a linux dvd, and booted from linux live thinking that I could get additional error messaging, but I was surprised to find that my computer booted into linux just fine. I have tried stripping everything out of the mobo and running off what the bare minimum requirements were to boot. I have also tried taking out all the components and putting them back in (including cpu), and I have verified that no cables are loose. I have also tried re-ordering the sata cables between the dvd drive and the hdd.

So far nothing I have tried has worked. The bios does not post any kind of errors. I'm running out of ideas, I feel like I've gone through just about every potential problem that could be causing this.

Thanks in advance for looking into this with me!
a b $ Windows 7
May 2, 2012 2:14:56 PM

Is this a legit copy of windows?

Did you format the hd before installing Windows?

Have you tried just loading windows with 1 or 2 sticks of ram? Stop errors are usually memory related.

May 2, 2012 2:19:05 PM

It is a legit copy of windows that I got through MSDN Academic Alliance (which I think is the exact same version you would get oem). The download was MD5 verified and had no errors. I also tried burning it to a second DVD thinking I had a bad burn, but I had the same result.

I have also tried installing with just 1 stick of ram, and again with 2 sticks. Thanks for the advice, I'll try to look at the ram a little more closely.

Edit: Do you think that the timing could be an issue? I believe DDR3 1600 isn't a standard clock speed. I went into my bios and had to edit the timing a little because the ram was defaulted to 11-11-11-28. I set it to 9-9-9-24 and verified the voltage was 1.5 (http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=239), and left the rest of the settings for the ram alone.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
May 2, 2012 4:14:27 PM

You should be running the speed, timings and voltage at what it says on the sticker on the dimm, not something else.

If your running it at some settings you for some reason decided to choose out of the blue, then you can expect to have issues.

If it's not a ram issue, I would suspect it's your burned disk. I've never heard of a legit copy of windows that you burn to a disk unless it was a beta.
a b $ Windows 7
May 2, 2012 4:28:26 PM

Instead of manually setting the ram parameters, Your bios should allow you to select XMP and the select profile 1.

Haven't checked, but for Your HDD is your BIOS set to AHCI?
?? Does windows 7 support the new Z77 chipset, you may need to download the HDD river from Intel and select "F^ to install the corect driver.
May 2, 2012 5:47:55 PM

RetiredChief said:
Instead of manually setting the ram parameters, Your bios should allow you to select XMP and the select profile 1.

Haven't checked, but for Your HDD is your BIOS set to AHCI?
?? Does windows 7 support the new Z77 chipset, you may need to download the HDD river from Intel and select "F^ to install the corect driver.

Yea actually I see what you're saying there is an XMP profile (1.2) for the ram. I reset bios and selected that. It didn't seem to help though. I'll look for that driver, but I can't believe I'm having so much trouble. A friend bought a pc at the same time as me and installed the same build of win7 on an ssd with a Z77 Asus board.
May 3, 2012 1:55:26 PM

So it must have been a fluke, I stripped all the parts out except the absolute bare essentials and re-downloaded the iso and this time put it on a bootable usb drive. Somehow that did the trick. Thanks for your help guys, I guess it turns out that just starting over again was all that I needed to do.
May 3, 2012 2:00:25 PM

I think the key could be the fact that it blue screens after the drivers are loaded?

Is it possible to not load all of the drivers but just the very basic (like safe mode) and then install drivers at a later date manually. One by one add the drivers.

I believe that a driver is causing the issue.
May 3, 2012 2:01:28 PM

Another reason why I believe it not to be hardware is the fact that Linux worked fine!
a b $ Windows 7
May 4, 2012 12:49:34 PM

I told him it was probably the burned disk or download.
a b $ Windows 7
May 4, 2012 6:55:46 PM

Bug Check 0x7E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

Usually indicates memory corruption of some sort, though a bad driver could throw this. A memory check with memtest86/prime95 [blend test] might be a good idea, just to be safe.
!