BF2 - Alt-Tab

I'm having fun playing the BF2 demo, but I have a question for you
owners of the retail version. The gameplay seems to play fine, but
alt-TABing out seems incredibly slow and 4/5 times crashes the game. I
tend to do it a lot to respond to reply to e-mails or instant messages,
and it usually works in most recent games.

Anyone been able to do it reliably in retail?

You'd think so, and it used to be the case. Nowadays it seems like you
can Alt-tab out of almost anything safely as long as you pause or go
out to the menu, which is a nice touch.

Andrew

On 4 Jul 2005 19:31:22 -0700, "schmo" <joeschm@gmail.com> wrote:

>I'm having fun playing the BF2 demo, but I have a question for you
>owners of the retail version. The gameplay seems to play fine, but
>alt-TABing out seems incredibly slow and 4/5 times crashes the game. I
>tend to do it a lot to respond to reply to e-mails or instant messages,
>and it usually works in most recent games.

I haven't tried it, but I would guess you have 1GB of RAM or less. BF2
uses 1GB of memory so the slowness is due to Windows busily swapping
data around when you go back to your desktop.

On 4 Jul 2005 19:31:22 -0700, "schmo" <joeschm@gmail.com> wrote:

>I'm having fun playing the BF2 demo, but I have a question for you
>owners of the retail version. The gameplay seems to play fine, but
>alt-TABing out seems incredibly slow and 4/5 times crashes the game. I
>tend to do it a lot to respond to reply to e-mails or instant messages,
>and it usually works in most recent games.
>
>Anyone been able to do it reliably in retail?

Elementary, my dear Watson.....

From the Demo readme:-

"ALT+TAB
- Using the ALT+TAB key to switch between applications may cause
problems. We do not support the use of the ALT+TAB function."

Same for the full game.

John Lewis

I'd be of the opinion that Alt-Tabbing out of *any* modern FPS is a bad
idea, unless you have a staggering amount of RAM.

"schmo" <joeschm@gmail.com> escribió en el mensaje
> You'd think so, and it used to be the case. Nowadays it seems like you
> can Alt-tab out of almost anything safely as long as you pause or go
> out to the menu, which is a nice touch.

Yes. Mostly without problems. BF2 or other games.

Anyway, its indeed a 'crash test' for your computer... :)

mb

On 5 Jul 2005 06:37:30 -0700, "schmo" <joeschm@gmail.com> wrote:

>You'd think so, and it used to be the case. Nowadays it seems like you
>can Alt-tab out of almost anything safely as long as you pause or go
>out to the menu, which is a nice touch.

Yep. BF2 is the most RAM hungry game I own (I play on high texture
quality and routinely use 1.5gb).. and ever since adding a second gig
of RAM I can alt-tab all day long with no noticble delay.

One other thing I've found nice is having a large (250gb) hard drive.
I really wanted a 10,000 RPM drive, but as of 6 months ago when I
bought this box, 74gb or so was the largest Raptor available. The
tricky part is that most gamers have no problems getting a 74bg drive
close to full capacity, and hard drives get slower as you fill them
up. So these gaming boxes with fast but small hard drives seem to
start feeling slower over time. I have found my "running capacity"
(the amount of games, music and so forth) to be around 150gb. This
means my 250gb drive can load up maps just as fast as it did when it
was new and virtually empty. Meanwhile my buddy with two Raptor
10kRPM drives in a RAID setup is increasingly disappointed in the
slowdown as they sit close to full capacity.

Have they come out with large Raptors yet? A 250gb !0k drive would be
sweet, although I bet the failure rate is horrendous.