Sign in with
Your question

ddr or rimm?

Last response: in Memory
September 2, 2002 12:48:24 AM

I am student of Architecture, so I need a PC with a good graphic performance. I have a Pentium II at 350MHz, with 512Mb RAM, but now it's not enough to work with 3d and renders... So I decided to buy a P4 at 2.2GHz. There's my question: What kind of RAM is the best for my purposes?
a) ddr at 333MHz
b) rimm PC800
Those are the only available kinds of memory at the stores I went, for P4... I have read some articles in THG, but I don't have a lot of informatic knows. I think ddr at 333MHz is faster than rimm PC800, but I'm not sure to buy ddr.
Can anyone help me? Thanks.

More about : ddr rimm

September 2, 2002 4:04:30 AM

How much are u paying at the store you are going too? i hope not too much. :wink:

If you are in the USA you should check out newegg or google gear. You could save alot of money and you will get it in 2-3 days.

Well, you will not notice any difference in performance between DDR 333 and PC-800. Either one would be great. You may also want to check out an AMD system with DDR Memory. Get a 2200+ and you could get better performance for a cheaper price. Over all the main difference between the two for you, is price.

Also, are u sure you want a processor with a 400 Mhz fsb? WIth intels recent price cuts you should be able to get a 2.26 533 Fsb for a similar price.
September 2, 2002 4:09:43 AM

Here is a possible setup.(Prices taken from newegg.com)

Intel Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz w/ 533 FSB - $228.00
Giga-byte 8IEXP - $130.00
512 MB Samsung DDR 333 - $155.00

For another 100 bucks you could get PC-1066 Rambus and a Gigabyte 8IHXP with even better performance, but you wont really need it.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 2, 2002 5:13:46 AM

how dependant is this software (which btw- autocad?) on memory speed. if it's something like ay 3dsmax, u can use even harddrive and it doesn't slow it down!

What if you had admin rights to life?
September 2, 2002 8:46:12 PM

Thanks for your help. Actually, I usually work with AutoCAD (2000 or 2002), 3DSMax, and photoshop.
I didn't know about memory and 3dsmax... I'll have to read more articles! ;) 
September 2, 2002 9:22:36 PM

Thank you very much. I don't know how is it in the usa... but here in barcelona the pc's are quite expensive (as I could see now).
PC-1066 is not available here (or I haven't seen it in any of the stores I went), so I think I'll buy ddr...
I thought always in Intel CPU's, and not AMD (I don't know why... perhaps it's only the results of advertisings), but I'll think in that.
I was almost decided to buy an asus motherboard... Now, I'll compare gigabyte's too.
But I was absolutely decided to buy kingston RAM... Perhaps I'll have to change my mind! :p 

Anyway, ddr 333 seems to be the most viable option, in front of rimm pc-800 (I know there isn't much difference between this two kinds of ram, but ddr seems to be more commercial nowadays)

Your help has been very useful to me. Thanks for your kind.
!