Cannot connect to the internet.

smiller2

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
Hello,
I was given a desktop computer and was told that it would not connect to the internet anymore - Staples could not even get it connected.
I just figured they were trying to use the ethernet port, so I tried to hook up a wireless box through the USB port, but it still does not connect - I do not get any errors, it just stops trying.
It is a Dell desktop, Windows XP. I know the previous owner had it hooked to a modem into the ethernet port, but one day he was just unable to connect.
I can get around a computer, but do not know technical terms - so please dumb it down a little .. lol!

Solution
In device manager, look under the 'network cards' heading and see if the ethernet port is being recognised by the computer.

It might be a good idea to download new drivers for your ethernet port from a different, computer, put the driver on a USB stick and install on the non-working one.

Also how did you connect the USB wireless box/who makes it?

LlamaGoingNorth

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
In device manager, look under the 'network cards' heading and see if the ethernet port is being recognised by the computer.

It might be a good idea to download new drivers for your ethernet port from a different, computer, put the driver on a USB stick and install on the non-working one.

Also how did you connect the USB wireless box/who makes it?

Solution

smiller2

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
Linkys makes the USB wireless adapter, and I have figured out my issue - G vs. N makes all the difference in the world! I was able to set our new router to pick up the G, which allowed the older computer to hook - so we just went and purchased an N wireless adapter for it.

Thank you for your answer though! That would have been something to try if I hadn't already figured out the issue!