• Configuration
  • Wireless Access
  • Switch
  • Cable
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
August 21, 2012 9:39:44 PM

Hi, I could use some basic design help.

I have a cable modem at home currently attached to a NetGear 600N wireless access point. Working fine. I now need to run 4 cat-5 lines of about 150 feet each to buildings that are out of the range of the wap. I've tried to use the 4 ports on 600N, but it doesn't seem to support cables longer than 20 feet or so.

I've been assured that a Dell 2808 router will support cable lengths of 300 feet (ethernet standard).

Can I simply plug the 2808 switch into the cable modem and then plug the 600N into the switch? Will the wap be on the same ip range as the switch? Who will generate the dhcp addresses? Do both cable modem and wap just plug into the front of the switch? Do I need a cross-over cable?

Thanks for any input

Glenn
glennharvey252@gmail.com

More about : wap switch

August 21, 2012 10:02:22 PM

Ethernet should support up to 100m (~300 ft.) unamplified, and while that might be asking a lot of a consumer-grade router, 20 ft. is ridiculous. You should easily be able to handle 50-100 ft. Just sounds like something is amiss there.

It all depends on whether the WAP is truly just a WAP, and not some reconfigured router. Some WAPs have a DHCP server too, some don’t. So I can’t provide a specific answer without have the make & model.

But assuming it’s just a WAP and doesn’t have a DHCP server, then you just need to give the WAP a static IP in the same network as the primary router (the one w/ the DHCP server). So if the router is 192.168.1.1, perhaps make the WAP 192.168.1.2. Just as long as it doesn’t conflict w/ the IPs handed out by the DHCP server.

Actually, it would work even if you never changed its IP address since that IP is only to administer the WAP. It has no affect on its ability to manage wireless users.

And no, you don’t need a crossover cable, just a standard straight cable.

m
l
!