simple recording

Last response: in Home Audio
September 10, 2004 9:04:04 PM

We need to be able to record using our pc and a micro phone. We have
2 basic needs:

1. To be able to record auditions (for example a clarinet solo), to a
digital file.

2. To be able to record several different tracks, (one for each
instrument), from a group that practices together.

The ultimate aim would be able to then create an mp3 file that could
be e-mailed to the various audition reviewers.

We don't need a big difficult to use professional mixing software
program.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

More about : simple recording

Anonymous
September 11, 2004 10:38:01 PM

"Shepard Tate" <shepard97504@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> 1. To be able to record auditions (for example a clarinet solo), to a
> digital file.

You can use any one of several different free or inexpensive programs. You
might have a look at Audacity to start with
(http://audacity.sourceforge.net/). It will run on several different
platforms and will easily do what you want.

> 2. To be able to record several different tracks, (one for each
> instrument), from a group that practices together.

<snip>

> We don't need a big difficult to use professional mixing software
> program.

Are you saying that you need to record multiple tracks at the same time? Or
you simply need to bring in each person and record them?

Kent
Anonymous
September 14, 2004 2:01:13 AM

Shepard Tate <shepard97504@yahoo.com> wrote:

>We need to be able to record using our pc and a micro phone. We have
>2 basic needs:

Hardware: M-Audio MobilePre-USB (around $135)

Software: Audacity, Adobe Audition, Sony Sound Forge, Steinberg WaveLab

moskowit@core-sound.com Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912
September 17, 2004 3:41:42 AM

Thanks. We tried Audacity. Downloaded and installed. It seems to
load and run OK, but can't get it to record any sound. Also
downloaded the plug ins we were told were necessary, but one of the
two could not be unzipped and I could not figure out what to do with
the other. I am thinking I may just buy a program that has all that
is needed with it along with a manual.
Anonymous
September 17, 2004 1:30:58 PM

> Thanks. We tried Audacity. Downloaded and installed. It seems to
> load and run OK, but can't get it to record any sound.

That's odd. I downloaded it, installed it, and went to File, Preferences,
Audio I/O and selected the audio interface in my machine. First time I
pressed the record button, appropriate squiggly lines showed up on the
screen. I stopped it, rewound it, and played what I just recorded.

> Also downloaded the plug ins we were told were necessary, but one of the
> two could not be unzipped and I could not figure out what to do with
> the other.

I didn't download anything but the basic program. What audio interface, what
OS?

> I am thinking I may just buy a program that has all that
> is needed with it along with a manual.

I'm mystified!
Anonymous
September 17, 2004 4:08:48 PM

shepard97504@yahoo.com (Shepard Tate) wrote in message news:<cb111cfb.0409162241.5cf5bbbe@posting.google.com>...
> Thanks. We tried Audacity. Downloaded and installed. It seems to
> load and run OK, but can't get it to record any sound. Also
> downloaded the plug ins we were told were necessary, but one of the
> two could not be unzipped and I could not figure out what to do with
> the other. I am thinking I may just buy a program that has all that
> is needed with it along with a manual.

Have you considered hiring someone to help you figure out what to buy
and to teach you to use it? It can save you a lot of time and there
are lots of savvy cats out there who'd be happy to spend a couple of
hours helping you learn to do it right to begin with. What you're
describing is fairly simple and straightforward (for those of us who
are familiar with recording) but I'm guessing from the way you phrased
your initial questions that you might really benefit from some more
direct, hands-on guidance than you'll be able to get from the usenet
(not to diss the immense wealth of knowledge available here). Maybe
check Craigslist or some such local board for under-employed engineers
offering their services.
Anonymous
September 17, 2004 6:45:50 PM

Below is a copy and paste from the web site saying that you need to
download three items. All download separately and without trouble,
but one of the two plug ins won't unpack, and there is no explanation
of what to do or where to put the other plug in.

Copied instructions:

Be sure to download all three parts to the program:
Audacity Program
LAME MP3 Encoder Library (you must download this for Audacity to
create MP3 files.)
VST Enabler
!