Best microphone choice of ...

Last response: in Home Audio
September 11, 2004 8:36:42 AM

I want an microphone for my homestudio with figure-8 charactristica
for recording of vocal, background vocals and some stereo recording.

I have been offered a used Sennheiser MKH 30 P48 (figure-8 only, mint
cond.) for a used price of around 400 USD. Will this be a better
microphone than the Rode Nt2000 or Studio Projects C3 microphones
which retails new for a 100 USD more?
Or has the prices fallen so much that a new one will be the best
choice?

Roger :o )

More about : microphone choice

Anonymous
September 11, 2004 1:00:54 PM

Roger B <rbjoroy@online.no> wrote:
>I want an microphone for my homestudio with figure-8 charactristica
>for recording of vocal, background vocals and some stereo recording.

Why?

>I have been offered a used Sennheiser MKH 30 P48 (figure-8 only, mint
>cond.) for a used price of around 400 USD. Will this be a better
>microphone than the Rode Nt2000 or Studio Projects C3 microphones
>which retails new for a 100 USD more?

The MKH30 is several orders of magnitude higher quality a microphone.
BUT, it's a microphone intended for totally different applications. The
MKH30 is intended to be accurate (and in fact it probably has the best
off-axis response of any figure-8 out there, and is certainly one of the
quietest mikes made). The NT2000 and C3 are both intended to sound larger
than life. Which do you want?

>Or has the prices fallen so much that a new one will be the best
>choice?

If I wanted a figure-8 for vocals in that range, I might look at a Beyer M130.
--scott
September 11, 2004 2:02:29 PM

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 09:00:54 -0400, Scott Dorsey wrote
(in article <chusu6$n6f$1@panix1.panix.com>):

> Roger B <rbjoroy@online.no> wrote:
>> I want an microphone for my homestudio with figure-8 charactristica
>> for recording of vocal, background vocals and some stereo recording.
>
> Why?
>
>> I have been offered a used Sennheiser MKH 30 P48 (figure-8 only, mint
>> cond.) for a used price of around 400 USD. Will this be a better
>> microphone than the Rode Nt2000 or Studio Projects C3 microphones
>> which retails new for a 100 USD more?
>
> The MKH30 is several orders of magnitude higher quality a microphone.
> BUT, it's a microphone intended for totally different applications. The
> MKH30 is intended to be accurate (and in fact it probably has the best
> off-axis response of any figure-8 out there, and is certainly one of the
> quietest mikes made). The NT2000 and C3 are both intended to sound larger
> than life. Which do you want?
>
>> Or has the prices fallen so much that a new one will be the best
>> choice?
>
> If I wanted a figure-8 for vocals in that range, I might look at a Beyer
M130.
> --scott

I'll go with scott's thoughts except the 130. Why a figure of eight?

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com
September 11, 2004 2:48:12 PM

> Why a figure of eight?

To keep the guitar from bleeding as much into the vocal mic?

Hal Laurent
Baltimore
Anonymous
September 11, 2004 4:58:21 PM

In article <5f4c9483.0409110336.17109c8@posting.google.com> rbjoroy@online.no writes:

> I want an microphone for my homestudio with figure-8 charactristica
> for recording of vocal, background vocals and some stereo recording.
>
> I have been offered a used Sennheiser MKH 30 P48 (figure-8 only, mint
> cond.) for a used price of around 400 USD. Will this be a better
> microphone than the Rode Nt2000 or Studio Projects C3 microphones
> which retails new for a 100 USD more?

That's a really nice mic. If you have a good cardioid (like an MHK20)
to go along with it, it's worderful for M-S stereo recording.

As far as recording vocals, maybe it's OK, maybe something else would
be better. Depends on why you think you need a figure-8 mic. If it's
to reduce the contribution of reflections from the floor or ceiling,
it might be a good thing. And a figure-8 is sometimes convenient for
two singers singing on opposite sides of the mic. But it's not likely
that you'll get the 'in your face' vocal sound that's so popular today
with the MKH30. Something like a Studio Projects might work better.

Just gotta try.

September 12, 2004 5:58:47 AM

Some bakground information:

My selection of microphones today consist of one AKG5900, two matching
oktava MK012C, two old Calrec (something) from the 70s. I think a
figure-8 microphone like the sennheizer will complete my needs for
microphones for most future sessions. (I need to invest now before my
newly married wife gets the overview of our economy)

My musicstyle is closest to alternative rock, but mostly sad and slow
melodies with clear instruments and vocals. My instrument is guitar,
mostly fingerplaying acoustic. I seldom want it to sound "larger than
life".

I learned about figure-8 from the old videoseries "shaping your sound"
(early 80s?), and it recommended this setup for some vocals and also
backingvocals.

The microphones and the prices mentioned before are all what I have
been offered here in Norway. I have not seen the Beyer M130
microphones listed here.

Roger
Anonymous
September 12, 2004 11:43:44 AM

In article <5f4c9483.0409120058.4dc24a69@posting.google.com> rbjoroy@online.no writes:

> My selection of microphones today consist of one AKG5900, two matching
> oktava MK012C, two old Calrec (something) from the 70s. I think a
> figure-8 microphone like the sennheizer will complete my needs for
> microphones for most future sessions.

It certainly wouldn't hurt, but if you're looking for something to
record your voice with, I'd look for something that sounds good on
your voice, not something to complete your collection. A singer who
plays acoustic guitar and records both at once can benefit from a
setup using two figure-8 mics placed so that the guitar is in the null
of the vocal mic and the voice is in the null of the guitar mic, but
you have to be careful about the reflected sound being picked up by
the opposite lobes.

To be honest, I'd look for something else unless you want to get the
new wife used to the fact that you buy stuff that seems like a good
deal (and this does) in the chance that you'll need it some day - and
that if it doesn't work this week, you won't sell it next week, but
hang on to it. (as is a good policy with any good microphone)

September 15, 2004 1:27:17 AM

"Roger B" <rbjoroy@online.no> wrote in message
> Some bakground information:
>
> My selection of microphones today consist of one AKG5900, two matching
> oktava MK012C, two old Calrec (something) from the 70s. I think a
> figure-8 microphone like the sennheizer will complete my needs for
> microphones for most future sessions.

I don't think that condition is EVER acheived !

;-)

geoff
!