Sign in with
Your question

My cd rom no longer plays automatically for windows 7

Last response: in Windows 7
May 2, 2012 7:19:45 PM

I've had windows 7 since last November on my desktop and been using burned disks the entire time to play games, look at photos etc. All of a sudden, it no longer recognizes them and I have to go to my computer to start them manually. Why? My tech said it was a windows upgrade that disabled it. I find that very hard to believe. Is that correct???
Thanks, Joy
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
May 2, 2012 7:31:26 PM

Why would windows update disable this feature? Ask u tech this. click start > control panal > Hardware and sound. Here check if autoplay is on or off. If not will see some other option ok
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
May 2, 2012 7:43:28 PM

In start > run (type this gpedit.msc)
user configuration > administrative templates > windows component > autoplay policies
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
May 2, 2012 7:46:11 PM

Or u can go to windows registry by typing regedit.exe in start> run . Avoid this one.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 3, 2012 2:17:24 AM

Quote:
Why would windows update disable this feature? Ask u tech this.

For System Security !! -- They finally realized that leaving the DVD drive setup to autoplay any disk that was placed into the drive was leaving the system open for security breaches just by someone placing a DVD in the Drive they could run programs to gain entry into the system - so changed the default setting to not auto play disks so that users had to manually change the setting if they wished to allow it instead of making them disable it if they wanted the system to be secure.
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
May 4, 2012 5:21:33 PM

JDfan m just curious why u asked this question. Can u point me to a security update from microsoft which disables the autoplay for cd drive. This is microsoft's basic autoplay feature. Not even those complex ones.
Recently we had a discussion here in one of the post by some guy regarding virus and firewall activity.
I advised him to disable this auto feature of microsoft. personally i donot use this autoplay/ run feature. And would advise ppl not to use that. But, ppl like joy2u like this feature. Just pop and run/play. Microsoft knows about this threat and they r trying to give a more secured type of autoplay/run feature.

There r instances of third party softwares messing around this feature of microsoft.

Remember my comment was with respect to joy2u's tech support person's answer.
m
l
a c 228 $ Windows 7
May 4, 2012 5:27:49 PM

Quote:
JDfan m just curious why u asked this question. Can u point me to a security update from microsoft which disables the autoplay for cd drive. This is microsoft's basic autoplay feature. Not even those complex ones.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971029
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
May 4, 2012 6:27:25 PM

I went through this one before answering joy2u. His query is related to update to win 7 which disable the basic autoplay feature. He has to go to my computer every time to wants to do something.

This update is related controlling autoplay feature used by autorun.
Moreover this update is os upto vista only. We want a update in win 7 this does this work. In my search i saw none.
m
l
a c 228 $ Windows 7
May 4, 2012 6:36:12 PM

Yeah, I think that notice at top is due to the web page detecting your OS. If you keep reading, it says it for server 2008, vista, xp,... I don't think the page was updated to include windows 7, but I specifacally remember this update coming out across all windows platforms since it can be a security risk.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 4, 2012 6:43:58 PM

Quote:
I went through this one before answering joy2u. His query is related to update to win 7 which disable the basic autoplay feature. He has to go to my computer every time to wants to do something.

This update is related controlling autoplay feature used by autorun.
Moreover this update is os upto vista only. We want a update in win 7 this does this work. In my search i saw none.

This update was made prior to the retail release of windows 7 and is a part of the initial release so you will not find anything related to it in windows 7 updates (since it is part of the release) and was then patched into prior OS versions since it had significant impact in reducing infections -- See HERE ( http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-7-s-AutoRun-Evol... ) for further reading.

IF you need to adjust the autoplay settings you can go to CONTROL PANEL - change the view by drop down box from category to either large or small icons - select AutoPlay - then change the various categories to the option you want and Save (If it used to autoplay and now does not chances are something changed the setting)

m
l
!