Docsis 2.0 modem on docsis 3.0 system

jrodguy83

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
Hi Everyone,

I currently have an older docsis 2.0 modem and I get a lot of bandwidth changes. I will go from 0.3 Mbps and within a couple minutes go up to 28 Mbps. I get dropped from games I'm playing or Netflix while I'm watching it and at times I will get insane speeds (much higher than what I pay for). I figured someone in the area was using up lots of bandwidth, but when I called Cox Cable (my ISP) the rep on the phone pointed out that I'm using a 2.0 modem and they're on a 3.0 system. He mentioned it might make a difference.

My question is: By using a docsis 2.0 modem am I potentially causing problems like I have described by not using a docsis 3.0 modem? I bought a new router which I'm happy with. I have tried not using a modem, but I get the same problems.

Thanks,
J

As far as I know, docsis 3 is backward compatible with docsis 2 and should not cause these problems. The major difference is that docsis 3 allows for channel bonding to achieve faster speeds. DOCSIS 2 is good up to 30Mb/s. If you data plan is higher than that, then you need to upgrade to a DOCSIS 3 modem.

sk1939

Distinguished

It may or may not cause problems, but I heard that some companies are forcing their users to upgrade to DOCSIS 3 modems in an attempt to free up bandwidth. Depending on your cable package, you also may be limiting your speeds since DOCSIS 3 supports higher speeds than DOCSIS 2. The issue with DOCSIS 2 is that it's a single channel with a maximum speed of 30 Mbps, it's 30 Mbps shared overall by all the users. DOCSIS 3 has multiple channels at least. That being said, it's not worth the upgrade depending on your subscription package (15/2 or below ).

TRENDING THREADS