GTA:San Andreas may get "adult only" rating.. so?

mb

Many of you might have seen this:

http://money.cnn.com/2005/07/09/technology/personaltech/grandtheft.reut/index.htm?cnn=yes

I say who cares.. make it adult only.. 10 yr olds really shouldnt be
playing a game like this anyway.

Although I stopped playing this game as soon as BF2 came out, I find
it to be a great game overall. But there was something a little TOO
ghetto about it. From a game design and technical standpoint it was
brilliant. But I guess I'm not "hood" enough to enjoy the overall
theme.

Mils Michael wrote:
> ly mentioned before, but I was shocked at how many supposedly
> > "responsible" parents bought both VC and SA for their 10 - 14 yr olds on
> > PS2. There is a presumption that, "it's just a game". What in heck's
> > name is a responsible parent doing buying a game called "Vice City" for a
> > 10 year old?
>
> A lot of parents give pocket money to their kids and let them buy
> whatever they want. The kids don't necessarly tell their parents
> what games they buy.
>
> At least that's how I was raised, and I'd probably have bought
> the GTA games if they came out and I was that age, and I still
> doubt it would have had a strong impact on my personality. I
> bought violent games at that age, they were no GTA, but
> I definitely remember buying violent FPS at the age of 10-14
> and even a couple of Larry games :)
>
> The problem is always elsewhere.
>
> -Moa Dragon

I got Leisure Suit Larry 6 when I was 13. (I _think_ it was 6... it was
the one where you were in a hotel/spa, and you had to collect all kinds
of gifts for the New Age-y woman meditating on the roof outside the
penthouse).

Anyway, there was a scene in there where a woman in a bikini was
climbing a ladder, and you were climbing up after her...

.... and then you clicked, and it ZOOMED IN...

uh, that was pretty cool. What was I talking about, again? :)

Laszlo

Andrew

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 20:23:04 -0400, MB <nospam@please.net> wrote:

>I say who cares.. make it adult only.. 10 yr olds really shouldnt be
>playing a game like this anyway.

It already is 18 rated in the UK, not that that seems to affect how
many kids here play it unfortunately.

>Although I stopped playing this game as soon as BF2 came out, I find
>it to be a great game overall. But there was something a little TOO
>ghetto about it. From a game design and technical standpoint it was
>brilliant. But I guess I'm not "hood" enough to enjoy the overall
>theme.

I bought 3 games last month, including BF2, and GTA:SA has the
addictive "just one more mission" quality that means it chews up about
95% of my gaming time.

You should persevere with it. I know how you feel about the ghetto
part of it, but that feeling dominates the early part of the game.
When you open up the other two cities missions things get a more
regular GTA feel and there is a lot of fun to be had whether on
missions or sight seeing.

schrodinger

> On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 20:23:04 -0400, MB <nospam@please.net> wrote:
>
>>I say who cares.. make it adult only.. 10 yr olds really shouldnt be
>>playing a game like this anyway.
>
> It already is 18 rated in the UK, not that that seems to affect how
> many kids here play it unfortunately.

I've probably mentioned before, but I was shocked at how many supposedly
"responsible" parents bought both VC and SA for their 10 - 14 yr olds on
PS2. There is a presumption that, "it's just a game". What in heck's name
is a responsible parent doing buying a game called "Vice City" for a 10 year
old?

Developers don't want to "let the cat out of the bag" and the media do
nothing to educate - they simply provide hysterical reactions.

>>Although I stopped playing this game as soon as BF2 came out, I find
>>it to be a great game overall. But there was something a little TOO
>>ghetto about it. From a game design and technical standpoint it was
>>brilliant. But I guess I'm not "hood" enough to enjoy the overall
>>theme.
>
> I bought 3 games last month, including BF2, and GTA:SA has the
> addictive "just one more mission" quality that means it chews up about
> 95% of my gaming time.
>
> You should persevere with it. I know how you feel about the ghetto
> part of it, but that feeling dominates the early part of the game.
> When you open up the other two cities missions things get a more
> regular GTA feel and there is a lot of fun to be had whether on
> missions or sight seeing.
> --

I agree - the feel of the game changes once out of the first part. Much
more like the first 2. I am totally stuck now on the learning to fly bit,
though :(

Andrew

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 08:15:32 GMT, "Schrodinger" <no@way.com> wrote:

>I agree - the feel of the game changes once out of the first part. Much
>more like the first 2. I am totally stuck now on the learning to fly bit,
>though :(

Have you got a joypad? It is a lot easier if you do, I got through all
the flying lessons in about 30 minutes, the only one I found hard was
the shooting from the chopper as you have to lead your shots by so
much.

schrodinger

> On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 08:15:32 GMT, "Schrodinger" <no@way.com> wrote:
>
>>I agree - the feel of the game changes once out of the first part. Much
>>more like the first 2. I am totally stuck now on the learning to fly bit,
>>though :(
>
> Have you got a joypad? It is a lot easier if you do, I got through all
> the flying lessons in about 30 minutes, the only one I found hard was
> the shooting from the chopper as you have to lead your shots by so
> much.

I couldn't get past the first 2 coronas on fly around the airfield. Then I
tried a joypad and I have finished it once, but with 67%. I expect I'll get
past it, but I'm at the stage when I don't look forward to doing it. I'll
probably put it down for a week or so and then try again.

Good to hear that there is an even more difficult mission coming up ;)

Andrew

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 09:42:42 GMT, "Schrodinger" <no@way.com> wrote:

>I couldn't get past the first 2 coronas on fly around the airfield. Then I
>tried a joypad and I have finished it once, but with 67%. I expect I'll get
>past it, but I'm at the stage when I don't look forward to doing it. I'll
>probably put it down for a week or so and then try again.

My other tip (inspired by the GTA newsgroup), if you aren't already
doing it, switch to first person view in the plane, for me it made a
big difference.

>Good to hear that there is an even more difficult mission coming up ;)

Anytime :)

Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> looked up from reading the entrails of the
porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 20:23:04 -0400, MB <nospam@please.net> wrote:
>
>>I say who cares.. make it adult only.. 10 yr olds really shouldnt be
>>playing a game like this anyway.
>
>It already is 18 rated in the UK, not that that seems to affect how
>many kids here play it unfortunately.

It wouldn't make that much difference anyway.
As I mentioned back around christmas having just seen a grandmother
buying GTA:SA for PS2 for her grandkid - who looked like he was maybe 8.

Rating means nothing as long as someone old enough is going to buy the
game for the kid anyway.

>You should persevere with it. I know how you feel about the ghetto
>part of it, but that feeling dominates the early part of the game.
>When you open up the other two cities missions things get a more
>regular GTA feel and there is a lot of fun to be had whether on
>missions or sight seeing.

I'd say even before that - at the point you're essentially kicked out of
LS the ghetto feeling goes way down.

Once you get to go to SF it gets even better.

Driving along a costal road in the fog was nicely scenic.
Now if only they could get those damn tractors off the freeway.

Xocyll

> On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 09:42:42 GMT, "Schrodinger" <no@way.com> wrote:
>
>>I couldn't get past the first 2 coronas on fly around the airfield. Then
>>tried a joypad and I have finished it once, but with 67%. I expect I'll
>>get
>>past it, but I'm at the stage when I don't look forward to doing it. I'll
>>probably put it down for a week or so and then try again.
>
> My other tip (inspired by the GTA newsgroup), if you aren't already
> doing it, switch to first person view in the plane, for me it made a
> big difference.

Hey, thanks - switched to 1st person (didn't realise you could do that!) and
passed 3rd time in.

I am now stuck on the heli mission! Still, I know I can beat this with
practise. Thanks again for the tip!

>>Good to hear that there is an even more difficult mission coming up ;)
>
> Anytime :)

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 20:23:04 -0400, MB <nospam@please.net> wrote:

>Many of you might have seen this:
>
>http://money.cnn.com/2005/07/09/technology/personaltech/grandtheft.reut/index.htm?cnn=yes
>
>I say who cares.. make it adult only.. 10 yr olds really shouldnt be
>playing a game like this anyway.

If the rating is changed to AO (18+) as demanded by the watchdog
group some big-box stores in the US--BestBuy being one and probably
Wal-Mart---will not carry it or later versions. This would result in a
substantial volume hit.

Steve
--
www.thepaxamsolution.com

"MB" <nospam@please.net> wrote in message

> Many of you might have seen this:
>
> http://money.cnn.com/2005/07/09/technology/personaltech/grandtheft.reut/index.htm?cnn=yes
>
> I say who cares.. make it adult only.. 10 yr olds really shouldnt be
> playing a game like this anyway.
>
> Although I stopped playing this game as soon as BF2 came out, I find
> it to be a great game overall. But there was something a little TOO
> ghetto about it. From a game design and technical standpoint it was
> brilliant. But I guess I'm not "hood" enough to enjoy the overall
> theme.

It's already rated "M" for Mature. Big deal. 18 or older buy it. 13 year
olds shouldn't play it anyways.

"Schrodinger" <no@way.com> writes:

> I am now stuck on the heli mission! Still, I know I can beat this with
> practise. Thanks again for the tip!

Note that the machine gun auto aims. It's the key to nailing those
targets fast enough.

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 23:02:56 -0400, "HockeyTownUSA"
<magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote:

>"MB" <nospam@please.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Many of you might have seen this:
>>
>> http://money.cnn.com/2005/07/09/technology/personaltech/grandtheft.reut/index.htm?cnn=yes
>>
>> I say who cares.. make it adult only.. 10 yr olds really shouldnt be
>> playing a game like this anyway.
>>
>> Although I stopped playing this game as soon as BF2 came out, I find
>> it to be a great game overall. But there was something a little TOO
>> ghetto about it. From a game design and technical standpoint it was
>> brilliant. But I guess I'm not "hood" enough to enjoy the overall
>> theme.
>>

>It's already rated "M" for Mature. Big deal. 18 or older buy it.

17 or older, actually.

This may seem pedantic, but Adults Only ("AO") is the 18+ age group, and
uses sexually explicit content as the barrier. 'M'ature games do not have
this, and usually appears to require Red Pixels to boost it up from Teen
(13+). In fact, is seems to cause a bit more "common sense" problems -
what is so horrendous that 'M'atrue players must wait one year before
purchasing the game, after they already waited three years to play violent
content?

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 08:15:32 GMT, "Schrodinger" <no@way.com> wrote:

>I agree - the feel of the game changes once out of the first part. Much
>more like the first 2. I am totally stuck now on the learning to fly bit,
>though :(

The best thing you can do for the flying is use a real joystick.

of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 13:00:27 -0700, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>
wrote:

>Driving along a costal road in the fog was nicely scenic.
>Now if only they could get those damn tractors off the freeway.

I liked that they added a large bonus to the vehicle weight/power
of the vehicle you are in. Keeps you from getting totally blocked in
by a couple or three small cars. Not to mention that you can use a
sports car and ram a semi hard enough to flip it over. :)

of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft