Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How do I know if I have power over Ethernet?

Last response: in Networking
September 26, 2012 5:36:00 PM

I work in IT and I'm trying to install a network camera for a client which requires power over Ethernet. How do I verify that there is not PoE available, or whether the camera is defective? (I'm pretty sure that there is no PoE; I just want to be able to prove it.)

More about : power ethernet

Anonymous
September 26, 2012 6:01:05 PM

Get the model number of the switch, look at the specs on the manufacturers website.
m
l
September 26, 2012 6:04:41 PM

What about plugging directly into the wall?
m
l
Related resources
September 26, 2012 6:53:47 PM

Paul22000 said:
What about plugging directly into the wall?

Plugging what directly into the wall? If your talking about plugging the camera into a network drop, all that means is the camera is not receiving power, either due to no PoE or due to bad cabling.
m
l
September 26, 2012 9:27:40 PM

sk1939 said:
Plugging what directly into the wall? If your talking about plugging the camera into a network drop, all that means is the camera is not receiving power, either due to no PoE or due to bad cabling.

Right, I want to literally *PROVE* that there is no PoE at my client's office building. Is there a way to perform this?
m
l

Best solution

September 26, 2012 11:31:45 PM

Paul22000 said:
Right, I want to literally *PROVE* that there is no PoE at my client's office building. Is there a way to perform this?

Not without a somewhat sophisticated test rig. There won't be any power on the line if certain conditions aren't met. Best bet is to identify the switch and look up the specs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_Ethernet
September 27, 2012 12:01:34 PM

Have to concur that you are going to have to get a look at the switch. Even if it is a PoE switch you can still not have power. The port could have PoE disabled in the configuration and you also get the nasty case of what looks like "random" power availability.

If a PoE switch does not have enough power in the chassis to provide power to all the ports it will just stop offering power when it runs out. Then if someone unplugs their device a different port may then request it.
m
l
September 27, 2012 4:32:32 PM

Thanks all. The client is looking into purchasing a PoE injector for the network camera to absolutely ensure that it will be powered correctly. Thanks again.
m
l
October 4, 2012 12:20:59 AM

Best answer selected by Paul22000.
m
l
!