Vampire Bloodlines: "Gliding" bug

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Hi all,

Has anyone experienced a bug where, when you are
moving forward, you suddenly find your forward motion locks?

Moving the mouse doesn't affect your direction or trajectory,
even when you remove your finger from the Forward key,
your character still moves forward. This happens for a few
seconds. This is especially irritating during combat. Any known fixes?

P.

Paul Moloney wrote:
> Has anyone experienced a bug where, when you are
> moving forward, you suddenly find your forward motion locks?

Yes, annoying isn't it? Just down to a rushed release I guess. One day
publishers will wake up to the fact that a delayed high-quality release is
more lucrative than a rushed low-quality release. Bloodlines was selling for
£10 just a couple of months after its release...

No known fixes AFAIK, though I've not played the game for a bit so I could
be out-of-date. Seeing as Troika went out of business though, I doubt there
will be a patch unless there is one already...

--

(O) e n o n e

"Paul Moloney" <paul_moloney@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Has anyone experienced a bug where, when you are
> moving forward, you suddenly find your forward motion locks?
>
> Moving the mouse doesn't affect your direction or trajectory,
> even when you remove your finger from the Forward key,
> your character still moves forward. This happens for a few
> seconds. This is especially irritating during combat. Any known fixes?
>
> P.

The fix is to run the game in Win98 compatability mode.

NvR

shawk

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"Paul Moloney" <paul_moloney@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Has anyone experienced a bug where, when you are
> moving forward, you suddenly find your forward motion locks?
>
> Moving the mouse doesn't affect your direction or trajectory,
> even when you remove your finger from the Forward key,
> your character still moves forward. This happens for a few
> seconds. This is especially irritating during combat. Any known fixes?
>
> P.

Haven't seen that bug. Running it with unofficial 1.5 patch here.

> Haven't seen that bug. Running it with unofficial 1.5 patch here.

Oddly enough, I don't recall seeing it earlier in the
game. I'm not sure is this simply because it doesn't occur
there, or has anything to do with my upgrading
my memory from 512MB to 1.25GB, which improved
performance otherwise immensely.

P.

shawk

> "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message
>
>> Haven't seen that bug. Running it with unofficial 1.5 patch here.
>
> Oddly enough, I don't recall seeing it earlier in the
> game. I'm not sure is this simply because it doesn't occur
> there, or has anything to do with my upgrading
> my memory from 512MB to 1.25GB, which improved
> performance otherwise immensely.
>
> P.

I'm probably less than half-way through so it may still appear... :-(

Shawk wrote:
> "Paul Moloney" <paul_moloney@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message
>>
>>> Haven't seen that bug. Running it with unofficial 1.5 patch here.
>>
>> Oddly enough, I don't recall seeing it earlier in the
>> game. I'm not sure is this simply because it doesn't occur
>> there, or has anything to do with my upgrading
>> my memory from 512MB to 1.25GB, which improved
>> performance otherwise immensely.
>>
>> P.
>>

> I'm probably less than half-way through so it may still appear... :-(

No, from what I've seen it either happens to you or it doesn't - from the
very beginning. As noted earlier, the (rather odd) fix is to run the game in
Win98 Compatability mode.

-craig

nostromo

Thus spake "Oenone" <oenone@nowhere.com>, Sun, 10 Jul 2005 20:45:28 GMT,
Anno Domini:

>Paul Moloney wrote:
>> Has anyone experienced a bug where, when you are
>> moving forward, you suddenly find your forward motion locks?
>
>Yes, annoying isn't it? Just down to a rushed release I guess. One day
>publishers will wake up to the fact that a delayed high-quality release is
>more lucrative than a rushed low-quality release. Bloodlines was selling for
>£10 just a couple of months after its release...
>
>No known fixes AFAIK, though I've not played the game for a bit so I could
>be out-of-date. Seeing as Troika went out of business though, I doubt there
>will be a patch unless there is one already...

Scratch that - any of the patches 1.3+ fixes the problem. Anyone who has an
inet connection (as you both seem to) AND expects VTMB to work out of the
box is simply not reading any reviews or patch notes. Come on ppl, it can't
be that hard...certainly easier than posting misinformation here *sigh*.

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

"Nostromo" <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote in message

> Scratch that - any of the patches 1.3+ fixes the problem.

I have all patches installed, including up to the official patch 1.2
and the unofficial patch 1.5. Do you mean an official 1.3
patch I haven't heard of?

P.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Quoth The Raven "Paul Moloney"<paul_moloney@hotmail.com> in
TNcAe.8049$Dq.8007@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net
> Hi all,
>
> Has anyone experienced a bug where, when you are
> moving forward, you suddenly find your forward motion locks?
>
> Moving the mouse doesn't affect your direction or trajectory,
> even when you remove your finger from the Forward key,
> your character still moves forward. This happens for a few
> seconds. This is especially irritating during combat. Any known fixes?
>
> P.

the best I could do was shake the mouse violently and hammer an arrow key. I
avoided it happening though, by meandering to my destination rather than run
a straight line

--
<now playing> The Clash - London Calling

Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me

nostromo

Thus spake "Craig Hulett" <First.Last@comcast.net>, Sun, 10 Jul 2005
18:28:46 -0600, Anno Domini:

>Shawk wrote:
>> "Paul Moloney" <paul_moloney@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message

>>> Oddly enough, I don't recall seeing it earlier in the
>>> game. I'm not sure is this simply because it doesn't occur
>>> there, or has anything to do with my upgrading
>>> my memory from 512MB to 1.25GB, which improved
>>> performance otherwise immensely.
>>>
>>> P.
>>>

>> I'm probably less than half-way through so it may still appear... :-(
>
>No, from what I've seen it either happens to you or it doesn't - from the
>very beginning. As noted earlier, the (rather odd) fix is to run the game in
>Win98 Compatability mode.
>
>-craig

Oddly enough, I must've done the same to the shortcut very early on &
*thought* it was the later patch(s). My bad :-/

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 17:20:51 GMT, "Paul Moloney"
<paul_moloney@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Has anyone experienced a bug where, when you are
>moving forward, you suddenly find your forward motion locks?

I experienced this as well. My machine was well above the system
requirements. I just attributed this to a game that was released
before it was ready.

I just finished this game, and thought it had amazing atmosphere. But
it could have been so much better, had they just spent another 6-9
monthes tweaking it, and correcting the typos.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

I tried the "Windows 98" fix and yep, it seems to work. Thanks
for the tip!

--
-pm

http://oceanclub.blogspot.com

"The sea was angry that day, my friends. Like an old man trying
to send back soup in a deli."

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"Paul Moloney" <paul_moloney@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message
>
>> Haven't seen that bug. Running it with unofficial 1.5 patch here.
>
> Oddly enough, I don't recall seeing it earlier in the
> game. I'm not sure is this simply because it doesn't occur
> there, or has anything to do with my upgrading
> my memory from 512MB to 1.25GB, which improved
> performance otherwise immensely.
>
> P.

I think it's a memory issue... I was running the game with the unofficial
1.5 patch, 512MB, a 2.54GHz P4 cpu, and an ATI Radeon 9500 Pro. My
character would not stop most of the time when running anywhere, until it
either ran into a wall, or I stopped it by strafing to one side or the
other. I figured it was the video card. But I added memory to get to 1GHz,
and that eliminated the "gliding."

In fact, even with the lowly 9500 Pro, most stuttering issues in the game
were gone after adding the memory.