Firewall Software with Network??

dick

I just bought a Base station ( MN-100) and set up a
network between 3 PC's at home. The documentation for
the Base Station says it has a Fire wall built in. Do I
still need to be runnig firewall software( like Zone
alarm)? If so do I need to run it on all 3 machines or
just the first one?
Thanks

You certainly can if you wish. A program like ZoneAlarm needs to be
programmed to allow your LAN traffic (within your own network) or else
you'll suddenly not be able to see the computer on which it is installed.
The base station firewall protects you from the WAN (Internet side) before
the signal even gets to any of your computers. Third-party software
firewalls are protective after the incoming signal has passed the router.
Look for vast improvements, including automatic recognition of LAN systems,
when the new XP firewall is introduced with Windows XP Service Pack 2 in
mid-year.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP

"Dick" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just bought a Base station ( MN-100) and set up a
> network between 3 PC's at home. The documentation for
> the Base Station says it has a Fire wall built in. Do I
> still need to be runnig firewall software( like Zone
> alarm)? If so do I need to run it on all 3 machines or
> just the first one?
> Thanks

To clarify, Chris H., does that mean that the firewall setting in the
soon-to-be-releasedWindows XP Service Pack 2 should be turned on when
running a MSHome Microsoft® Wireless Base Station?

"Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> You certainly can if you wish. A program like ZoneAlarm needs to be
> programmed to allow your LAN traffic (within your own network) or else
> you'll suddenly not be able to see the computer on which it is installed.
> The base station firewall protects you from the WAN (Internet side) before
> the signal even gets to any of your computers. Third-party software
> firewalls are protective after the incoming signal has passed the router.
> Look for vast improvements, including automatic recognition of LAN
systems,
> when the new XP firewall is introduced with Windows XP Service Pack 2 in
> mid-year.
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> Associate Expert
>

> "Dick" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I just bought a Base station ( MN-100) and set up a
> > network between 3 PC's at home. The documentation for
> > the Base Station says it has a Fire wall built in. Do I
> > still need to be runnig firewall software( like Zone
> > alarm)? If so do I need to run it on all 3 machines or
> > just the first one?
> > Thanks

Yes. Here's the complete information on XP SP2:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/sp2preview.mspx The
firewall will be on by default from the install. It is a very good thing
because so many computers are infected because people don't turn on the
firewall prior to going online to Windows Update. It just takes a couple
seconds.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP