Sign in with
Your question

After failed Win. update Desktop & more doesn't show...

Last response: in Windows 7
May 3, 2012 1:01:20 AM

So I was trying to do some updates for Win. 7 and I got Framework 4. FW 4 is fine (I hope)

The updates, OK there were 119 i think of 'em or close. First, the other day I got error 8000FFFF when trying to update. then I got a program for Win. 7 (made by MS) to fix registries. This let me install FW 4 and some updates.

Then I came back, didn't get a glance at the screen but my comp. turned off and reset. It was updating registries and then trying to config. win 7, that failed and it reverted to prebious settings, where I am now.

My only true problem is, well look at the dang picture below!

I can press CTRL+ALT+DEL to open Tskmngr and open programs (as I obviously did so.) but the Desktop is black, no icons, no taskbar (explorer.exe)and I might be missing something else. Also the, at the top left window says its personalizing my desktop as if first use. its not, and I've been w8ing for it for over 15 mins now...

The only thing I have tried is nothing but restarting my comp. once & waiting.
a b $ Windows 7
May 3, 2012 1:07:41 AM

Hi :) 

WHICH version of Windows and is it legal as the black screen thing , points to an illegal version...
?
All the best Brett :) 
m
l
May 3, 2012 1:11:30 AM

Did you try manually executing Windows Explorer? In task manager click run > and type 'explorer' in the box. Just see if you can atleast get explorer back.
m
l
May 3, 2012 1:33:53 AM

stickg1 said:
Did you try manually executing Windows Explorer? In task manager click run > and type 'explorer' in the box. Just see if you can atleast get explorer back.

First poster, yes it's legal. B4 the thing happened it was not black, u know my screensaver. Win. 7 ULTIMATE and yes I tried explorer.exe
m
l
!