BF2: i'm never playing engineer again!

Last response: in Video Games
July 13, 2005 2:43:42 AM

This game is getting ridiculous. Immediately after a furious firefight to
capture a heavily defended base, my team left it completely empty so a lone
soldier recaptured it without firing a shot. This happened more than a few
times. So i switched to engineer and decided to mine the access to the base
while still leaving enough room to go around the mines. Of course a very
observant teammate drove an APC with two passengers right into a mine. This
happened four times over the evening and i'm pretty sure that i finished
with less points than i had before i started playing.

I have a suggestion: instead of penalizing the engineer who's trying to
defend the base, give -20 points to the moron who ran over the easily
identified mines.

More about : bf2 playing engineer

Anonymous
July 13, 2005 7:28:21 AM

In article <xd%Ae.77243$8v3.1540884@weber.videotron.net>,
Groo the Wanderer says...

> Of course a very
> observant teammate drove an APC with two passengers right into a mine. This
> happened four times over the evening and i'm pretty sure that i finished
> with less points than i had before i started playing.

Had this happen to me several times too. I no longer use mines for
anything but to try and take out a tank headed my way. I largely use
the engineer to be able to repair my own tank as well as being able
to auto-repair teammates while in a vehicle in my vicinity. Makes for
a formidable task force to go flagging with.

Cheers,
Rod.
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 7:54:04 AM

"Groo the Wanderer" <jp2@vatican.com> wrote in message
> This game is getting ridiculous. Immediately after a furious firefight to
> capture a heavily defended base, my team left it completely empty so a
> lone soldier recaptured it without firing a shot. This happened more than
> a few times. So i switched to engineer and decided to mine the access to
> the base while still leaving enough room to go around the mines. Of course
> a very observant teammate drove an APC with two passengers right into a
> mine. This happened four times over the evening and i'm pretty sure that i
> finished with less points than i had before i started playing.
>
> I have a suggestion: instead of penalizing the engineer who's trying to
> defend the base, give -20 points to the moron who ran over the easily
> identified mines.

and that gentlemen is why you find a good online gaming crew and join their
servers
July 13, 2005 8:48:54 AM

"Chucky" <admin@titansguild.net> wrote:

> "Groo the Wanderer" <jp2@vatican.com> wrote in message
>> This game is getting ridiculous. Immediately after a furious
>> firefight to capture a heavily defended base, my team left it
>> completely empty so a lone soldier recaptured it without firing
>> a shot. This happened more than a few times. So i switched to
>> engineer and decided to mine the access to the base while still
>> leaving enough room to go around the mines. Of course a very
>> observant teammate drove an APC with two passengers right into
>> a mine. This happened four times over the evening and i'm
>> pretty sure that i finished with less points than i had before
>> i started playing.
>>
>> I have a suggestion: instead of penalizing the engineer who's
>> trying to defend the base, give -20 points to the moron who ran
>> over the easily identified mines.
>
> and that gentlemen is why you find a good online gaming crew and
> join their servers

Unless you can count on the enemy being just as dense? If he can
figure out how to avoid trapping his own, but maybe still trap the
enemy. There might be a better way to defend.
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 10:46:03 AM

"Groo the Wanderer" <jp2@vatican.com> wrote in message
> This game is getting ridiculous. Immediately after a furious firefight to
> capture a heavily defended base, my team left it completely empty so a
lone
> soldier recaptured it without firing a shot. This happened more than a few
> times. So i switched to engineer and decided to mine the access to the
base
> while still leaving enough room to go around the mines. Of course a very
> observant teammate drove an APC with two passengers right into a mine.
This
> happened four times over the evening and i'm pretty sure that i finished
> with less points than i had before i started playing.
>
> I have a suggestion: instead of penalizing the engineer who's trying to
> defend the base, give -20 points to the moron who ran over the easily
> identified mines.

I only play single, no on-line for me with dial-up modem.
I like to play the engineer; however, I have noticed that despite the great
increase in bot AI in BF2, if I had a dime for every time a tank ran me
over, then said they needed repairs, I could retire and play full time ;-)

--
Dr. Dickie
Skepticult member in good standing #394-00596-438

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 03:54:04 GMT, "Chucky" <admin@titansguild.net>
wrote:

>and that gentlemen is why you find a good online gaming crew and join their
>servers

What if you are a casual gamer who likes to play every now and then (a
few times a month?), and not use his time for gathering a dedicated
gaming group? And if one also wishes to play with different persons,
not just the same crew all the time with all their familiar gaming
styles?

It is not easy to make a multiplayer game that works well on public
servers, but it can be done, at least iteratively. I haven't played
BF2, but with TeamFortress Classic I never play on public servers
where teamkilling is enabled. Teamkilling makes it much too easy for
jackasses to destroy their team's game, it makes spy class near
useless in many situations etc.
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 1:32:28 PM

"Dr_Dickie" <Dr_Dicke@chembench.com> wrote in message
news:D b2rdg$rp5$1@domitilla.aioe.org...

> "Groo the Wanderer" <jp2@vatican.com> wrote in message
>> This game is getting ridiculous. Immediately after a furious firefight to
>> capture a heavily defended base, my team left it completely empty so a
> lone
>> soldier recaptured it without firing a shot. This happened more than a
>> few
>> times. So i switched to engineer and decided to mine the access to the
> base
>> while still leaving enough room to go around the mines. Of course a very
>> observant teammate drove an APC with two passengers right into a mine.
> This
>> happened four times over the evening and i'm pretty sure that i finished
>> with less points than i had before i started playing.
>>
>> I have a suggestion: instead of penalizing the engineer who's trying to
>> defend the base, give -20 points to the moron who ran over the easily
>> identified mines.
>>

> I only play single, no on-line for me with dial-up modem.
> I like to play the engineer; however, I have noticed that despite the
> great
> increase in bot AI in BF2, if I had a dime for every time a tank ran me
> over, then said they needed repairs, I could retire and play full time ;-)
>
> --
> Dr. Dickie
> Skepticult member in good standing #394-00596-438
> Poking kooks with a pointy stick.
> "The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new
> discoveries,
> is not 'Eureka!' ('I found it!'), but rather 'hmm....that's funny...'"
> - Isaac Asimov

That's why i always approach tanks from the side. That way, They can't run
me over.
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 2:36:05 PM

> "Dr_Dickie" <Dr_Dicke@chembench.com> wrote in message
> news:D b2rdg$rp5$1@domitilla.aioe.org...
> >
> > "Groo the Wanderer" <jp2@vatican.com> wrote in message
> >>
> > I only play single, no on-line for me with dial-up modem.
> > I like to play the engineer; however, I have noticed that despite the
> > great
> > increase in bot AI in BF2, if I had a dime for every time a tank ran me
> > over, then said they needed repairs, I could retire and play full time
;-)

> > --
> > Dr. Dickie
> > Skepticult member in good standing #394-00596-438
> > Poking kooks with a pointy stick.
> > "The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new
> > discoveries,
> > is not 'Eureka!' ('I found it!'), but rather 'hmm....that's funny...'"
> > - Isaac Asimov
> >

> That's why i always approach tanks from the side. That way, They can't run
> me over.

Don't matter. Not even approaching a tank, just working my way to the enemy,
I get run over by these idiots. Also, even approaching to repair from the
side, they will swing the tank around and get you.
Mind you, I do believe that the AI is approximately what I would expect from
idiots on-line, so hard to grumble to much.
Now as far as map size in single player, that is a crime!

--
Dr. Dickie
Skepticult member in good standing #394-00596-438
Poking kooks with a pointy stick.
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new
discoveries,
is not 'Eureka!' ('I found it!'), but rather 'hmm....that's funny...'"
- Isaac Asimov
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 8:56:29 PM

Groo the Wanderer wrote:
> This game is getting ridiculous. Immediately after a furious firefight to
> capture a heavily defended base, my team left it completely empty so a lone
> soldier recaptured it without firing a shot. This happened more than a few
> times. So i switched to engineer and decided to mine the access to the base
> while still leaving enough room to go around the mines. Of course a very
> observant teammate drove an APC with two passengers right into a mine. This
> happened four times over the evening and i'm pretty sure that i finished
> with less points than i had before i started playing.
>
> I have a suggestion: instead of penalizing the engineer who's trying to
> defend the base, give -20 points to the moron who ran over the easily
> identified mines.

The teamkill situation is the most annoying aspect of the game at the
moment. The exact scenario you have described has happened to be before
and it's ridiculous. The choice to punish is pointless as only a
minority actually stop and think which button to press.

I don't understand some of it either, I had a lock on a plane yesterday,
fired a load of missiles at it and then got told I'd made a teamkill.
Huh? You can't get a lock on friendlies!

Also noticed some friendly team members showing up with a RED name which
I can't fathom at all.
July 13, 2005 9:01:13 PM

The only way to fix this situation is to remove TK's for any placeable
munitions. Problem solved. Actually I hope this is implemented.
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 12:00:29 AM

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 16:56:29 +0100, Jamie_Manic <yeahbutno@slag.com> wrote:

>Groo the Wanderer wrote:
>> This game is getting ridiculous. Immediately after a furious firefight to
>> capture a heavily defended base, my team left it completely empty so a lone
>> soldier recaptured it without firing a shot. This happened more than a few
>> times. So i switched to engineer and decided to mine the access to the base
>> while still leaving enough room to go around the mines. Of course a very
>> observant teammate drove an APC with two passengers right into a mine. This
>> happened four times over the evening and i'm pretty sure that i finished
>> with less points than i had before i started playing.
>>
>> I have a suggestion: instead of penalizing the engineer who's trying to
>> defend the base, give -20 points to the moron who ran over the easily
>> identified mines.
>>

>The teamkill situation is the most annoying aspect of the game at the
>moment. The exact scenario you have described has happened to be before
>and it's ridiculous. The choice to punish is pointless as only a
>minority actually stop and think which button to press.
>
>I don't understand some of it either, I had a lock on a plane yesterday,
>fired a load of missiles at it and then got told I'd made a teamkill.
>Huh? You can't get a lock on friendlies!

Actually you can. Not sure if its a bug or a feature but if you get a lock on
an enemy plane and there is a friendly around, if for whatever reason it loses
the lock it reaquires with anything nearby, in this case your teammate. I had
this happen a lot on one of those big marshy maps. I was on the hill in the
middle of the map and had a lock on an enemy chopper. Got the tone and fired
just as my mate in our chopper came over the rise. It swerved right into him
instead.

>Also noticed some friendly team members showing up with a RED name which
>I can't fathom at all.

Seen some orange as well. I suspect there is a way to make your name appear in
different colours when you create your account.
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 12:02:08 AM

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 10:36:05 -0400, "Dr_Dickie" <Dr_Dicke@chembench.com>
wrote:

>"Groo the Wanderer" <jp2@vatican.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Dr_Dickie" <Dr_Dicke@chembench.com> wrote in message
>> news:D b2rdg$rp5$1@domitilla.aioe.org...
>> >
>> > "Groo the Wanderer" <jp2@vatican.com> wrote in message
>> >>
>> > I only play single, no on-line for me with dial-up modem.
>> > I like to play the engineer; however, I have noticed that despite the
>> > great
>> > increase in bot AI in BF2, if I had a dime for every time a tank ran me
>> > over, then said they needed repairs, I could retire and play full time
>;-)
>> >
>> > --
>> > Dr. Dickie
>> > Skepticult member in good standing #394-00596-438
>> > Poking kooks with a pointy stick.
>> > "The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new
>> > discoveries,
>> > is not 'Eureka!' ('I found it!'), but rather 'hmm....that's funny...'"
>> > - Isaac Asimov
>> >

>> That's why i always approach tanks from the side. That way, They can't run
>> me over.
>>

>Don't matter. Not even approaching a tank, just working my way to the enemy,
>I get run over by these idiots. Also, even approaching to repair from the
>side, they will swing the tank around and get you.
>Mind you, I do believe that the AI is approximately what I would expect from
>idiots on-line, so hard to grumble to much.
>Now as far as map size in single player, that is a crime!

That can be modified. Do a google search for it. You can also modify the
number of AI opponents by altering one of the games .ini files.
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 4:00:45 AM

On 13 Jul 2005 17:01:13 -0700, "Hank" <admin@cellsounds.co.nz> wrote:

>The only way to fix this situation is to remove TK's for any placeable
>munitions. Problem solved. Actually I hope this is implemented.

There is actually a mod that does this. I saw it advertised on the Planet
Battlefield fourms. I don't know how well it compares to RTCW's complaint
system, but hopefully it is better.

It also adjusts how punishments can be made - basically, each player has a
limit on the number of complaints (which increases by score) among many
other demanded fixes.
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 11:40:35 AM

Groo the Wanderer wrote:

> This game is getting ridiculous. Immediately after a furious firefight to
> capture a heavily defended base, my team left it completely empty so a
> lone soldier recaptured it without firing a shot. This happened more than
> a few times. So i switched to engineer and decided to mine the access to
> the base while still leaving enough room to go around the mines. Of course
> a very observant teammate drove an APC with two passengers right into a
> mine. This happened four times over the evening and i'm pretty sure that i
> finished with less points than i had before i started playing.
>
> I have a suggestion: instead of penalizing the engineer who's trying to
> defend the base, give -20 points to the moron who ran over the easily
> identified mines.

I'd say it's the responsibility of the engineer to make sure that he only
gets the unfriendlies. If you are playing with noobs, adjust your tactics
accordingly. Otherwise, you are also a noob.

One technique that helps is to put the mines only on one side of the bushes.
So that they are seen from one side, but not the other.
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 11:56:50 AM

"Memnoch" <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 10:36:05 -0400, "Dr_Dickie" <Dr_Dicke@chembench.com>
> wrote:

> >Don't matter. Not even approaching a tank, just working my way to the
enemy,
> >I get run over by these idiots. Also, even approaching to repair from the
> >side, they will swing the tank around and get you.
> >Mind you, I do believe that the AI is approximately what I would expect
from
> >idiots on-line, so hard to grumble to much.
> >Now as far as map size in single player, that is a crime!
>
> That can be modified. Do a google search for it. You can also modify the
> number of AI opponents by altering one of the games .ini files.

So I have just recently learned. I look forward to 32 vs 32 this weekend.

--

Dr. Dickie
More to come...

"i own a yacht" <me@privacy.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Jamie_Manic <yeahbutno@slag.com> wrote:
>
> did it explode? debris can land on teammates and it's considered a tk.

Nah, happens if the bandit does a hard break after you've fired and all of a
sudden there's this friendly chopper in the missile's flight path.

Though the thing you describe is the worst tk of 'em all. Being punished for
something like that is double hard.
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 5:07:37 PM

"Alfred Pum" <mooskugerl@gmxDELETE.at> wrote in message
news:D b5gvi$d8s$1@paperboy.si.eunet.at...
> "i own a yacht" <me@privacy.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> Jamie_Manic <yeahbutno@slag.com> wrote:
>>
>> did it explode? debris can land on teammates and it's considered a tk.
>>

> Nah, happens if the bandit does a hard break after you've fired and all of
> sudden there's this friendly chopper in the missile's flight path.
>
> Though the thing you describe is the worst tk of 'em all. Being punished
> for
> something like that is double hard.

I remember embarking in a Hummer and a novice pilot crashed his helicopter
on top of me. For some reason i was punished for the tk.

There is something messed up with the stingers. I have seen a guy fire four
missiles in a row at a helicopter that was flying in a straight line. Only
the second one hit its target. The other three just missed by a mile.
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 7:37:53 PM

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 07:56:50 -0400, "Dr. Dickie"
<Dr_Dickie@chembench.com> wrote:

>"Memnoch" <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 10:36:05 -0400, "Dr_Dickie" <Dr_Dicke@chembench.com>
>> wrote:
>

>> >Don't matter. Not even approaching a tank, just working my way to the
>enemy,
>> >I get run over by these idiots. Also, even approaching to repair from the
>> >side, they will swing the tank around and get you.
>> >Mind you, I do believe that the AI is approximately what I would expect
>from
>> >idiots on-line, so hard to grumble to much.
>> >Now as far as map size in single player, that is a crime!
>>
>> That can be modified. Do a google search for it. You can also modify the
>> number of AI opponents by altering one of the games .ini files.
>

>So I have just recently learned. I look forward to 32 vs 32 this weekend.

You do have a 4.0GHz CPU, don't you ? There is a reason for the small
number of AI players -- the AI computations. More AI computations
---> poorer "frame-rate".

John Lewis

>--
>
>Dr. Dickie
>More to come...

Anonymous
July 14, 2005 7:37:54 PM

> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 07:56:50 -0400, "Dr. Dickie"
> <Dr_Dickie@chembench.com> wrote:
>

> >"Memnoch" <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> >> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 10:36:05 -0400, "Dr_Dickie"
<Dr_Dicke@chembench.com>

> >enemy,
> >from
> >>
> >> That can be modified. Do a google search for it. You can also modify
the
> >> number of AI opponents by altering one of the games .ini files.
> >

> >So I have just recently learned. I look forward to 32 vs 32 this weekend.
> >

> You do have a 4.0GHz CPU, don't you ? There is a reason for the small
> number of AI players -- the AI computations. More AI computations
> ---> poorer "frame-rate".
>
> John Lewis
>
> >--
> >
> >Dr. Dickie
> >More to come...

Well I have a 3 GHz and 9800 Pro video card.
While I have no interest in boosting the bots to 100 vs 100, I think my
machine can handle a few more. I will play with number and ability to see
what I do with decent frame rate.

--

Dr. Dickie
More to come...

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 07:40:35 -0700, alex goldman <hello@spamm.er> wrote:

>Groo the Wanderer wrote:
>
>> This game is getting ridiculous. Immediately after a furious firefight to
>> capture a heavily defended base, my team left it completely empty so a
>> lone soldier recaptured it without firing a shot. This happened more than
>> a few times. So i switched to engineer and decided to mine the access to
>> the base while still leaving enough room to go around the mines. Of course
>> a very observant teammate drove an APC with two passengers right into a
>> mine. This happened four times over the evening and i'm pretty sure that i
>> finished with less points than i had before i started playing.
>>
>> I have a suggestion: instead of penalizing the engineer who's trying to
>> defend the base, give -20 points to the moron who ran over the easily
>> identified mines.
>
>I'd say it's the responsibility of the engineer to make sure that he only
>gets the unfriendlies. If you are playing with noobs, adjust your tactics
>accordingly. Otherwise, you are also a noob.

How can you tell they are noobs unless they do something....noobish?

>One technique that helps is to put the mines only on one side of the bushes.
>So that they are seen from one side, but not the other.

That isnt't the problem. They can be seen quite clearly by your own team due
to the big red indicator over them and yet they still run over them.
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 4:13:36 AM

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 07:40:35 -0700, alex goldman <hello@spamm.er> wrote:

>Groo the Wanderer wrote:
>
>> This game is getting ridiculous. Immediately after a furious firefight to
>> capture a heavily defended base, my team left it completely empty so a
>> lone soldier recaptured it without firing a shot. This happened more than
>> a few times. So i switched to engineer and decided to mine the access to
>> the base while still leaving enough room to go around the mines. Of course
>> a very observant teammate drove an APC with two passengers right into a
>> mine. This happened four times over the evening and i'm pretty sure that i
>> finished with less points than i had before i started playing.
>>
>> I have a suggestion: instead of penalizing the engineer who's trying to
>> defend the base, give -20 points to the moron who ran over the easily
>> identified mines.
>
>I'd say it's the responsibility of the engineer to make sure that he only
>gets the unfriendlies. If you are playing with noobs, adjust your tactics
>accordingly.

In case of mines, most reports of n00bism involve players running over
mines placed in the open. "Adjusting tactics" involves not using mines,
making them useless.

Perhaps the community needs to mature a bit - RTCW:ET, for example, doesn't
have as much of a problem with newbish twats that constantly run over
mines. (Usually, it's by accident or by knockback.)
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 11:46:42 PM

"Groo the Wanderer" <jp2@vatican.com> wrote in message
> This game is getting ridiculous. Immediately after a furious firefight to
> capture a heavily defended base, my team left it completely empty so a
> lone soldier recaptured it without firing a shot. This happened more than
> a few times. So i switched to engineer and decided to mine the access to
> the base while still leaving enough room to go around the mines. Of course
> a very observant teammate drove an APC with two passengers right into a
> mine. This happened four times over the evening and i'm pretty sure that i
> finished with less points than i had before i started playing.
>
> I have a suggestion: instead of penalizing the engineer who's trying to
> defend the base, give -20 points to the moron who ran over the easily
> identified mines.

I've just experinced the old team mate in a jet crashes into my chopper, I
apparentley tk'd the pilot and my gunner, who both vote for punish faster
than you can blink.

I have been in a ranked clan server that had no punish for tk, you just took
a small penalty to your team score -1 or so, smaller than being punished
anyway. Still wouldn't have got me around the above, but at least I would
have taken a smaller points hit even though there should have been none at
all.
!