CD BURNER ADVICE PLEASE FOR PII 350 256 MB 40GB HD

mikiesb

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2002
Hi,

Here is the spec of the pc that I am running primarily just for cd burning.

Spec: - Compaq Deskpro Large Form Factor En 6350 with 256mb of SDRAM running Windows Xp with Nero 5.5 and an Acer 52X cd rom drive on primary ide along with my LG CD Burner on the secondary ide.

At 8x speed data copies fine (but music cds don't, they under run or whatever the music comes out a bit pear shaped/jittery), At 6x music copies fine and at 4x CDRW copy fine also.

I have seen new cd burners out by aopen and dabs value and lg aswell that can burn 40 x & 48x cdr's and 12x cdrws...

Do you think my machine will be able to handle this and or would it be worth while upgrading my cd copier?

I am doing an awful lot of cd burning lately, a shed load to be precise so I am looking at upgrading as it will save me time in the long run and beside you can get the above cd burner for £40/50 ish.

Cheers

Mike

Mike you shouldn't have any problem upgrading to a faster CDRW, RAM is usually the restrictor in burner performance but you have 256Mb, that should be plenty. Heres what you really need to know when you buy a new burner, make sure it has built in Buffer Underun Protection. Also make sure the CD Disks you buy for it, have a high enough burn rate to match the burner.

Mike also in your setup you didn't mention where your hardrive or hardrives are located?
If you only have one hardrive I would set your machine up like this.
Hardrive set as Master of Primary IDE.
CDRW as master of Secondary IDE.
CDROM as slave of Secondary IDE.

Master is the connector at the end of the cable, Slave is the connector in the middle of the cable.
Each drive has jumpers on the back that must be set as master or slave.
If you already know this don't get offended, I don't usually give relocation suggestions without telling how to do it.
Hope this helps Ryan.

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.

orbz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
Mike, follow Ryan's suggestion and make sure you have the DMA option on. If it dosn't work then maybe it's WinXP. You computer seems slow to run WinXP but I'm not too sure.

Your system specs seem to have no problems with upgrading to newer burners. I have a friend that can burn cd-r at 10x on his pentium 166MHz classic with no problems.

<i><font color=blue>There is no failure when you believe in success.</font color=blue></i>