The end of mods as we know it

"So far we have learned that the "hot coffee" modification is the work
of a determined group of hackers who have gone to significant trouble to
alter scenes in the official version of the game," reads Rockstar's
official statement. "In violation of the software user agreement,
hackers created the 'hot coffee' modification by disassembling and then
combining, recompiling and altering the game's source code. Since the
'hot coffee' scenes cannot be created without intentional and
significant technical modifications and reverse engineering of the
game's source code, we are currently investigating ways that we can
increase the security protection of the source code and prevent the game
from being altered by the 'hot coffee' modification."

---

Wha, wha, what??? Game's source code? Recompiling? You mean the script
file that had a censor switch that was flipped? Rockstar should have the
balls to admit that they stupidly left some cut material on the disk,
not only in the PS2 version (where perhaps they might have an argument
that ship schedules prevented them from thoroughly deleting all unused
content before release), but in the XBOX and PC versions which came out
months later.

Once Rockstar gets hit with the lawsuit, the fines, the retroactive
penalties and future scrutiny and San Andreas becomes ultimately
unprofitable (amazing considering they have made over $200 million
already), then other companies will realize that A) mods will become
illegal and B) yet another reason to ignore the PC market.

Thanks Rockstar. Thanks a lot.

Bateau wrote:
> The Posting One <blahblah@blahblah.com> wrote:
>
> Or you could just refrain from putting the pornography in there for them
> to "hack" their way into.

Amen. It's their own fault, but really...it's not porn in any shape or
form, there is far more offensive material in the game proper.

Rocky

"Jamie_Manic" <yeahbutno@slag.com> wrote in message
> Bateau wrote:
>> The Posting One <blahblah@blahblah.com> wrote:
>>
>> Or you could just refrain from putting the pornography in there for them
>> to "hack" their way into.
>
> Amen. It's their own fault, but really...it's not porn in any shape or
> form, there is far more offensive material in the game proper.

Similar situation to the BF2 demo, they included extra weapons in the
download that you were not supposed to have access to. When people opened up
access to them with a simple change to a text file, EA banned servers
running the demo with all the weapons from appearing in the servers list.

First they include weapons they don't want you to play, then they fail to
use any encryption or even try to disguise how easy it was to switch the
weapons on, then they start banning you for doing the obvious!

Nice PR.

--
Rocky
GhostRecon.net | AGR-S.com | Tactical-Elite.net

__

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 18:43:35 +0100, Jamie_Manic <yeahbutno@slag.com> wrote:

>Bateau wrote:
>> The Posting One <blahblah@blahblah.com> wrote:
>>
>> Or you could just refrain from putting the pornography in there for them
>> to "hack" their way into.
>
>Amen. It's their own fault, but really...it's not porn in any shape or
>form, there is far more offensive material in the game proper.

Ah yes, but its okay to depict graphic scenes of violence but as soon as
someone whips they cock out young minds are perverted and the very fabric of
our civilisation is at risk.

schrodinger

"Memnoch" <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 18:43:35 +0100, Jamie_Manic <yeahbutno@slag.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Bateau wrote:
>>> The Posting One <blahblah@blahblah.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Or you could just refrain from putting the pornography in there for them
>>> to "hack" their way into.
>>
>>Amen. It's their own fault, but really...it's not porn in any shape or
>>form, there is far more offensive material in the game proper.
>
> Ah yes, but its okay to depict graphic scenes of violence but as soon as
> someone whips they cock out young minds are perverted and the very fabric
> of
> our civilisation is at risk.

You have to bring chickens into everything, don't you.

Steph

Memnoch <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote in

> Ah yes, but its okay to depict graphic scenes of violence but as soon
> as someone whips they cock out young minds are perverted and the very
> fabric of our civilisation is at risk.

What kind of fabric would that be? Is it woven from "moral fiber"?

stePH
--
"Let me guess -- my theories appall you, my heresies outrage you,
I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Memnoch wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 18:43:35 +0100, Jamie_Manic <yeahbutno@slag.com> wrote:
>

>>Bateau wrote:
>>
>>>The Posting One <blahblah@blahblah.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>Or you could just refrain from putting the pornography in there for them
>>>to "hack" their way into.
>>
>>Amen. It's their own fault, but really...it's not porn in any shape or
>>form, there is far more offensive material in the game proper.
>

> Ah yes, but its okay to depict graphic scenes of violence but as soon as
> someone whips they cock out young minds are perverted and the very fabric of
> our civilisation is at risk.

From what I can tell from the screenshots I saw of the Hot Coffee thing
at no point are any cocks whipped out! The models were fully clothed, no
nudity involved.

"Jamie_Manic" <yeahbutno@slag.com> wrote in message

> Amen. It's their own fault, but really...it's not porn in any shape or
> form, there is far more offensive material in the game proper.

Exactly, they knew *precisely* what was going to happen, and there's no such
thing as bad publicity.

"Rocky" <Rocky@GhostRecon.net> wrote:

>"Jamie_Manic" <yeahbutno@slag.com> wrote in message
>> Bateau wrote:
>>> The Posting One <blahblah@blahblah.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Or you could just refrain from putting the pornography in there for them
>>> to "hack" their way into.
>>
>> Amen. It's their own fault, but really...it's not porn in any shape or
>> form, there is far more offensive material in the game proper.
>
>Similar situation to the BF2 demo, they included extra weapons in the
>download that you were not supposed to have access to. When people opened up
>access to them with a simple change to a text file, EA banned servers
>running the demo with all the weapons from appearing in the servers list.
>
>First they include weapons they don't want you to play, then they fail to
>use any encryption or even try to disguise how easy it was to switch the
>weapons on, then they start banning you for doing the obvious!
>
>Nice PR.

It makes you wonder what kind of tricks they are going to pull on you if
you buy the product.

Rocky

"Bateau" <Gamera@work.stomping.aza> wrote in message
> "Rocky" <Rocky@GhostRecon.net> wrote:
>>
>>"Jamie_Manic" <yeahbutno@slag.com> wrote in message

>>> Amen. It's their own fault, but really...it's not porn in any shape or
>>> form, there is far more offensive material in the game proper.
>>
>>Similar situation to the BF2 demo, they included extra weapons in the
>>download that you were not supposed to have access to. When people opened
>>up
>>access to them with a simple change to a text file, EA banned servers
>>running the demo with all the weapons from appearing in the servers list.
>>
>>First they include weapons they don't want you to play, then they fail to
>>use any encryption or even try to disguise how easy it was to switch the
>>weapons on, then they start banning you for doing the obvious!
>>
>>Nice PR.
>
> It makes you wonder what kind of tricks they are going to pull on you if
> you buy the product.

I did buy it and their first trick was to crash the servers so nobody could
play online for a few hours this week.

--

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 23:30:23 +0100, Jamie_Manic <yeahbutno@slag.com> wrote:

>Memnoch wrote:

>>>Amen. It's their own fault, but really...it's not porn in any shape or
>>>form, there is far more offensive material in the game proper.
>>

>> Ah yes, but its okay to depict graphic scenes of violence but as soon as
>> someone whips they cock out young minds are perverted and the very fabric of
>> our civilisation is at risk.
>
> From what I can tell from the screenshots I saw of the Hot Coffee thing
>at no point are any cocks whipped out! The models were fully clothed, no
>nudity involved.

I was making a generalisation on censorship rather than the actual game
content.

Thusly Dennis Schamne <schamne@despammed.com> Spake Unto All:

>Then how come it's just the other way around here in Europe - it's OK to
>show boobs in the media but no violence?

Where in europe is that? Germany?

Mean_Chlorine wrote:

> Thusly Dennis Schamne <schamne@despammed.com> Spake Unto All:
>
>>Then how come it's just the other way around here in Europe - it's OK to
>>show boobs in the media but no violence?
>
> Where in europe is that? Germany?

Middle Europe. Germany and AFAIK France. Don't sure about Great Britain.

Dennis

shawk

"Dennis Schamne" <schamne@despammed.com> wrote in message
> Mean_Chlorine wrote:
>
>> Thusly Dennis Schamne <schamne@despammed.com> Spake Unto All:
>>
>>>Then how come it's just the other way around here in Europe - it's OK to
>>>show boobs in the media but no violence?
>>
>> Where in europe is that? Germany?
>
> Middle Europe. Germany and AFAIK France. Don't sure about Great Britain.
>
> Dennis

You've never heard of the Sun daily newspaper in the UK?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,5-2005300356,00.html

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 08:53:43 +0100, "One Punch Mickey"
<fantantiddlyspan@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Jamie_Manic" <yeahbutno@slag.com> wrote in message
>
>> Amen. It's their own fault, but really...it's not porn in any shape or
>> form, there is far more offensive material in the game proper.
>
>Exactly, they knew *precisely* what was going to happen, and there's no such
>thing as bad publicity.

Hillary "leave no stone unturned for a vote" Clinton is about to
introduce legislation into US Congress stiffening the sale ( and
penalty ) conditions of M and AO rated games. Also she will be
insisting that if Rockstar is proven indeed responsible for the
adult-content in GTA:SA that they be forced into a refund or
exchange-for-sanitized version for anybody that wants one.
Could be very expensive for Rockstar.

John Lewis

john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis) looked up from reading the entrails of

>On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 08:53:43 +0100, "One Punch Mickey"
><fantantiddlyspan@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>"Jamie_Manic" <yeahbutno@slag.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Amen. It's their own fault, but really...it's not porn in any shape or
>>> form, there is far more offensive material in the game proper.
>>
>>Exactly, they knew *precisely* what was going to happen, and there's no such
>>thing as bad publicity.
>>

>Hillary "leave no stone unturned for a vote" Clinton is about to
>introduce legislation into US Congress stiffening the sale ( and
>penalty ) conditions of M and AO rated games. Also she will be
>insisting that if Rockstar is proven indeed responsible for the
>adult-content in GTA:SA that they be forced into a refund or
>exchange-for-sanitized version for anybody that wants one.
>Could be very expensive for Rockstar.

Interesting.

However I do wonder how it's going to play out, that even if Rockstar
did have content there locked away, is it a violation if the only way
Americans can accessed it is to commit a DMCA violation?

Someone had to be poking around in things they're not allowed to in
order to find the stuff after all and isn't that illegal under the DMCA?

Xocyll

Dennis Schamne wrote:
> Shawk wrote:
>

>>You've never heard of the Sun daily newspaper in the UK?
>>
>>http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,5-2005300356,00.html
>

> Hell, you're right. There's also a German counterpart to it: Bild.
>
> http://www.bild.de/

Ha! There is no comparison : you'd have to buy The Bild from the top
shelf in the UK.

--
Walter Mitty
-

Thusly Walter Mitty <mitticus@gmail.com> Spake Unto All:

>> Depends on where in europe you are. Here in puritanical Sweden we'll
>> likely latch on to both.
>
>Sweden? The home of groupsex and sauna penetration? Don't make me laugh.

In the seventies. Then came a _severe_ backlash fuelled by feminism of
the "all men are rapists" kind. We're more puritan than puritans now,
political correctness is our religion.

Quoth The Raven "Jamie_Manic"<yeahbutno@slag.com> in
42d595f0$0$6483$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com
> Memnoch wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 18:43:35 +0100, Jamie_Manic <yeahbutno@slag.com>
>> wrote:

>>>Amen. It's their own fault, but really...it's not porn in any shape
>>>or form, there is far more offensive material in the game proper.
>>

>> Ah yes, but its okay to depict graphic scenes of violence but as
>> soon as someone whips they cock out young minds are perverted and
>> the very fabric of our civilisation is at risk.
>
> From what I can tell from the screenshots I saw of the Hot Coffee
> thing at no point are any cocks whipped out! The models were fully
> clothed, no nudity involved.

then you need the hot coffee mod v.2, which has the nude girlfriends extra.
it is this mod that Rockstar can claim has added and changed material in
their code. perhaps they were looking for a scapegoat to escape what ever
trouble they're in, however any decent coder can tell the original mod in
its first state added nothing of the sort.

--
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me