Buzzing noise when volume max.

abacap

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
I'm getting a very irritating high pitch, low volume, buzzing noise when my speakers volume is at max, even if my system volume is 0. The only way to get rid of this is to of course, lower my speaker volume, but the buzzing is still there just quieter.

Funny thing is, if I open up the Recording Devices window, then the noise immediately disappears, then comes back the moment I close it.

Is my audio system haunted? :(

Solution

Not haunted, it's just picking up some AC noise, likely in the long wire between the PC and the speaker, the speaker volume knob determines how much this noise is amplified (along with regular sound). If you've got regular PC speakers, with the wire that runs to a headphone jack style plug, try unplugging it and...

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012

Not haunted, it's just picking up some AC noise, likely in the long wire between the PC and the speaker, the speaker volume knob determines how much this noise is amplified (along with regular sound). If you've got regular PC speakers, with the wire that runs to a headphone jack style plug, try unplugging it and re running the wire, avoiding power cords like your monitor and pc. (the kind that don't have a wall wart are the AC ones). If you've got a rats nest of wires, you can try cleaning that up too. If you live next to a broadcasting tower or something, that could cause it too, so politely ask them to move.

If you've got USB/HDMI/etc connections, your probably out of luck, unless you can exchange them.

Solution

abacap

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
Well I don't want to turn mic boost down because I need it for myt Siberia V2 headset as the mic's output volume is always too low without me yelling.

BUT! The rerunning thing worked! No more buzzing, but I'll wait a couple days just to see if it returns..then I'll close the question too.