copy protection from hell

I picked up two budget games over the last week. I upgraded to Windows
64-bit edition recently. It turns out the games won't run at all, that they
have issues with 64-bit, because the copy protection, Starforce, loads
device drivers that are 32-bit only.

The games in question are Emergency Fire and Rescue and Deserts Rats vs.
Afrika Corps. I cannot find a crack for the first game, so I cannot play it
at all. The second game- I haven't looked for a crack yet. I shouldn't
have to find a crack to play a game though, right?

Apparrently Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory also has Starforce, as do many
Ubisoft games. Frankly, it's stupid, stupid, stupid.

"Magnulus" <magnulus@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> I picked up two budget games over the last week. I upgraded to Windows
> 64-bit edition recently. It turns out the games won't run at all, that
> they have issues with 64-bit, because the copy protection, Starforce,
> loads device drivers that are 32-bit only.
>
> The games in question are Emergency Fire and Rescue and Deserts Rats vs.
> Afrika Corps. I cannot find a crack for the first game, so I cannot play
> it at all. The second game- I haven't looked for a crack yet. I
> shouldn't have to find a crack to play a game though, right?
>
> Apparrently Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory also has Starforce, as do many
> Ubisoft games. Frankly, it's stupid, stupid, stupid.

Yikes! Is it possible to run a dual boot between a 32-bit version of XP
with the 64-bit version? I heard it was. That might be your best option.
Thanks for the heads up about your experience though. While I'm hanging on
to my current gaming computer until next year sometime, I hope things are
ironed out (at least for the most part) by then. Anyway, I'm sorry to hear
about this.

Hi,

Eventually the gaming industry will catch up to XP64, like it caught up
with XP (and/or XP's brokeness was fixed). We may also see better XP32
compatibility in XP64 eventually.

However you can count on some companies to never fix their older titles,
simply because they're not making money on them anymore. If it's in the
bargain bin or worse, and there's no revenue stream from Internet play,
you can almost count on it staying broken.

Curiously internet delivered software like Valve's Steam have the best
chance, as they like to milk revenue from residual sales of their back
catalog.

Ken.
Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net | Fire Rumsfeld, secure Iraq's borders.
WWW: http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh | Our border with Mexico too.

CCCC

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2005

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 17:00:19 -0600, "NightSky 421"
<nightsky421@yahoo.ca> wrote:

>Yikes! Is it possible to run a dual boot between a 32-bit version of XP
>with the 64-bit version? I heard it was.
yes.

Thusly "Magnulus" <magnulus@bellsouth.net> Spake Unto All:

> I picked up two budget games over the last week. I upgraded to Windows
>64-bit edition recently. It turns out the games won't run at all, that they
>have issues with 64-bit, because the copy protection, Starforce, loads
>device drivers that are 32-bit only.

Haha, the starforce filth strikes out yet again.

"Magnulus" <magnulus@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> I picked up two budget games over the last week. I upgraded to Windows
> 64-bit edition recently. It turns out the games won't run at all, that
> they have issues with 64-bit, because the copy protection, Starforce,
> loads device drivers that are 32-bit only.
>
> The games in question are Emergency Fire and Rescue and Deserts Rats vs.
> Afrika Corps. I cannot find a crack for the first game, so I cannot play
> it at all. The second game- I haven't looked for a crack yet. I
> shouldn't have to find a crack to play a game though, right?
>
> Apparrently Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory also has Starforce, as do many
> Ubisoft games. Frankly, it's stupid, stupid, stupid.

Starforce loads DRIVERS? Wow, that's worse than Steam.

I had heard about Chaos Theory having some draconian copy protection but
didn't catch the details. Guess I'll need to add Starforce-infected games to
my "never buy" list.

"Kroagnon" <kroagnon@kroagnon.com> wrote in message

> Starforce loads DRIVERS? Wow, that's worse than Steam.
>
> I had heard about Chaos Theory having some draconian copy protection but
> didn't catch the details. Guess I'll need to add Starforce-infected games
> to my "never buy" list.

You can download an "update" the StarForce drivers from the StarForce
website, but I have to admit that I've been avoiding games that use this
copy protection.

NightSky 421 wrote:
> "Magnulus" <magnulus@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>
>> I picked up two budget games over the last week. I upgraded to Windows
>>64-bit edition recently. It turns out the games won't run at all, that
>>they have issues with 64-bit, because the copy protection, Starforce,
>>loads device drivers that are 32-bit only.
>>
>> The games in question are Emergency Fire and Rescue and Deserts Rats vs.
>>Afrika Corps. I cannot find a crack for the first game, so I cannot play
>>it at all. The second game- I haven't looked for a crack yet. I
>>shouldn't have to find a crack to play a game though, right?
>>
>> Apparrently Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory also has Starforce, as do many
>>Ubisoft games. Frankly, it's stupid, stupid, stupid.
>

> Yikes! Is it possible to run a dual boot between a 32-bit version of XP
> with the 64-bit version? I heard it was. That might be your best option.
> Thanks for the heads up about your experience though. While I'm hanging on
> to my current gaming computer until next year sometime, I hope things are
> ironed out (at least for the most part) by then. Anyway, I'm sorry to hear
> about this.

Screw that. It may be possibly to run both 32/64-bit versions on the
same system, but it's a waste of effort. I've got an AMD64 chip but am
only running Windows XP 32-bit due to the compatability issues present
with some software in the 64-bit version, as well as the fact XP 64-bit
doesn't really have any major advantages yet due to the lack of proper
64-bit software. Might as well stick to a system that works until 64-bit
software becomes more prevalent.

"GFree" <gfree678@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Screw that. It may be possibly to run both 32/64-bit versions on the same
> system, but it's a waste of effort. I've got an AMD64 chip but am only
> running Windows XP 32-bit due to the compatability issues present with
> some software in the 64-bit version, as well as the fact XP 64-bit doesn't
> really have any major advantages yet due to the lack of proper 64-bit
> software. Might as well stick to a system that works until 64-bit software
> becomes more prevalent.

True, but Magnulus has obviously already bought the 64-bit version of
Windows XP and my suggestion may have at least tried to make something good
out of a less than ideal situation. I know what you mean about 64-bit
computing and operating systems though, look how long 16-bit hung around
even though the last true 16-bit processor was the 386SX.

"NightSky 421" <nightsky421@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> True, but Magnulus has obviously already bought the 64-bit version of
> Windows XP and my suggestion may have at least tried to make something
> good out of a less than ideal situation. I know what you mean about
> 64-bit computing and operating systems though, look how long 16-bit hung
> around even though the last true 16-bit processor was the 386SX.

My videocard and motherboard went tits up and died, so I had to get a new
one. Somehow the AGP port burnt out and took the graphics card with it. I
got an Athlon 64 3000, an Asus SLI motherboard, a gigabyte of RAM, and a
GeForce 6600 GT PCI-e 128MB- oh, and an Antec 430 watt True Power 2. I had
a GeForce 6800 AGP, so it's a bit of a letdown (this card struggles in many
games with anything more than 2xantialiasing at 1280x1024). But my
motherboard can enable SLI, I'm just not sure yet I want to sacrifice one
PCI slot, I might want it in the future (it has PCI-e network slots). And
then I get this rude surprise with this game.

I just hope somebody comes up with a good website of the list of games
that have Starforce, so I can avoid them, unless I can find a crack. I
haven't been buying that many PC games lately, anyways.

Another bad surprise about Windows 64- the number of basic apps that don't
run. Games are generally fine, though, but there aren't really any
anti-virus programs out there that will run, though I've heard not many
viruses can infect 64-bit computers.

"Nostromo" <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote in message
> You should've got a real decent card like a X800Pro/XT ;-p

I'm not going to buy an ATI card again, too many little features I would
miss.

> ROFLMAO - where the hell did you read THAT!? The microslut website ffs?
> Don't let the '64' fool you - Unix it ain't!

No, it was a news article on a 64-bit windows virus. Maybe it was
bullshit.

> My videocard and motherboard went tits up and died, so I had to get a
> new one. Somehow the AGP port burnt out and took the graphics card with
> it. I got an Athlon 64 3000, an Asus SLI motherboard, a gigabyte of RAM,
> and a GeForce 6600 GT PCI-e 128MB- oh, and an Antec 430 watt True Power 2.
> I had a GeForce 6800 AGP, so it's a bit of a letdown (this card struggles
> in many games with anything more than 2xantialiasing at 1280x1024). But
> my motherboard can enable SLI, I'm just not sure yet I want to sacrifice
> one PCI slot, I might want it in the future (it has PCI-e network slots).
> And then I get this rude surprise with this game.

Good God, talk about if it wasn't for bad luck, you'd have no luck at all.
Sorry to hear of the woes. Well, at least you have a more forward-looking
foundation now. You could even consider putting your 64-bit Windows XP on
the shelf for a while and maybe re-visit it in six months or so. Hopefully
a lot of the growing pains will be a thing of the past by then.

> I just hope somebody comes up with a good website of the list of games
> that have Starforce, so I can avoid them, unless I can find a crack. I
> haven't been buying that many PC games lately, anyways.

I too would like to see a dedicated website that lists all games using copy
protection like StarForce.

> Another bad surprise about Windows 64- the number of basic apps that
> don't run. Games are generally fine, though, but there aren't really any
> anti-virus programs out there that will run, though I've heard not many
> viruses can infect 64-bit computers.

I would be careful to make that assumption.

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 14:13:47 -0400, "Magnulus" <magnulus@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> I picked up two budget games over the last week. I upgraded to Windows
>64-bit edition recently. It turns out the games won't run at all, that they
>have issues with 64-bit, because the copy protection, Starforce, loads
>device drivers that are 32-bit only.
>
> The games in question are Emergency Fire and Rescue and Deserts Rats vs.
>Afrika Corps. I cannot find a crack for the first game, so I cannot play it
>at all. The second game- I haven't looked for a crack yet. I shouldn't
>have to find a crack to play a game though, right?
>
> Apparrently Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory also has Starforce, as do many
>Ubisoft games. Frankly, it's stupid, stupid, stupid.

I would steer well clear of Windows 64bit unless you have specific reasons for
doing so and gaming isn't one of them at the moment.

Thusly "Kroagnon" <kroagnon@kroagnon.com> Spake Unto All:

>Starforce loads DRIVERS? Wow, that's worse than Steam.

Starforce *is* drivers, installed without telling you. And which
prohibits install and/or crashes programs it doesn't like, like Nero
and Daemon Tools, without telling you. And isn't uninstalled when you
uninstall the game, but continues running. Naturally without telling
you.

It's malware, and any game "protected" by it a trojan horse. Simple as
that. Steam is a paragon of virtue compared to the starforce filth.

> You can download an "update" the StarForce drivers from the StarForce
> website, but I have to admit that I've been avoiding games that use this
> copy protection.

Can you? Star Force says it's not their responsability to ensure than
games run on Windows 64, thus I found nothing about downloading new drivers.

> Can you? Star Force says it's not their responsability to ensure than
> games run on Windows 64, thus I found nothing about downloading new
> drivers.

I did see something on their site where you can download an updated version
of StarForce. I had the impression that you had to download it as a file
and install it yourself. But I don't recall anything about 64-bit
compatibility. Sorry, I did not intend to give false hope, but with this
new version of Windows out, it seems outrageous to me that they (the folks
at StarForce) haven't supported it yet.

> Good God, talk about if it wasn't for bad luck, you'd have no luck at all.
> Sorry to hear of the woes. Well, at least you have a more forward-looking
> foundation now. You could even consider putting your 64-bit Windows XP on
> the shelf for a while and maybe re-visit it in six months or so.
> Hopefully a lot of the growing pains will be a thing of the past by then.

I plan to replay older games in the next few months. New PC games
really don't grab me to go out and buy them anymore.. And games in general
run just fine in Windows 64, it's just a few of them won't run because of
the copy protection. About the only new PC game I've actually liked was GTA
San Andreas. My graphics card came with XIII and Prince of Persia, I might
try those out.

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 15:52:28 +0200, Mean_Chlorine
<mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Thusly "Kroagnon" <kroagnon@kroagnon.com> Spake Unto All:
>
>>Starforce loads DRIVERS? Wow, that's worse than Steam.
>
>Starforce *is* drivers, installed without telling you. And which
>prohibits install and/or crashes programs it doesn't like, like Nero
>and Daemon Tools, without telling you. And isn't uninstalled when you
>uninstall the game, but continues running. Naturally without telling
>you.

>It's malware, and any game "protected" by it a trojan horse. Simple as
>that. Steam is a paragon of virtue compared to the starforce filth.

I'm not sure I can agree with that. While I have no love of Starforce,
at least I with a Starforce "protected" game, can just slap in a CD
and play. Steam demands authorization first. Starforce is also quite
happy to let you play at any ol' patch level, unlike Steam which you
have to jump through hoops if you don't want to be auto-updated. With
a Starforce "protected" game, once you get tired of it you can simply
uninstall it and sell the game/manual/CD-key to somebody else, quite
unlike Steam which is tied to a particular e-mail account which you
may be loathe to surrender.

The primary disadvantages of Starforce are:

-it uses a kernel-level driver which is usually installed without
adequately notifying the user. It is loaded at Windows start-up and
intercepts calls to read the optical drive. While annoying, it is not
by itself harmful (caveat: see below about how it interferes with Nero
et al.)

-Most games don't uninstall it automatically when they uninstall
themselves (this is more the fault of the publisher, as they are the
ones who install it in the first place and are responsible for
removing it).

- most egregiously, it conflicts with numerous CD/DVD burning
programs, often requiring people to disable or uninstall useful
applications just to get a game to run

I think Starforce (and other similar over-the-top copy-protection
systems, such as the newest Securom) are the wrong direction for
software publishers, but I much prefer it to the direction Steam (and
other in-development over-the-web-authorization programs) is taking
us.

Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

> The primary disadvantages of Starforce are:
>
> -it uses a kernel-level driver which is usually installed without
> adequately notifying the user.

This is actually a MONSTER problem. Windows XP, unlike Windows 2000 and
Linux, runs drivers at ring zero. That means that a buggy driver will
destabilize the entire system, causing system-wide crashes. Just to
highlight what this means, a user application CAN NOT crash the windows
xp system, it can only crash itself. By installing Starforce you're
taking it on trust that their filth is bug free and wont crash your
system.

This, alone, puts it in a much lower circle of hell than steam can ever
aspire to.

> -Most games don't uninstall it automatically when they uninstall
> themselves (this is more the fault of the publisher, as they are the
> ones who install it in the first place and are responsible for
> removing it).

AFAIK the problem is/was that Starforce handed out allegedly buggy
uninstall routines. I say allegedly because I'm convinced it was really
a conscious design decision to leave the "protection" running; it
wasn't until third parties released starforce removal tools that
starforce themselves released a removal tool.

> - most egregiously, it conflicts with numerous CD/DVD burning
> programs, often requiring people to disable or uninstall useful
> applications just to get a game to run

Worse, it may simply crash programs it doesn't like. I had people tell
me that Nero was useless for backing up digital photos, because Nero
was so buggy and "crashed all the time". Again I think starforce claims
this is a bug, not a feature, of starforce - but again, that's no
better.
Imagine the outcry if it'd been Microsoft who'd - without informing the
user - installed a DMCA-enforcing driver which consistently caused
Firefox to crash!

Nero AG should do everyone, including legit gamers and game publishers,
a huge favor and sue Starforce into bankruptcy.

> I think Starforce (and other similar over-the-top copy-protection
> systems, such as the newest Securom) are the wrong direction for
> software publishers, but I much prefer it to the direction Steam (and
> other in-development over-the-web-authorization programs) is taking
> us.

I don't. I hate disk-based protection. It does nothing at all to stop
piracy, it *only* penalizes legitimate users. For disk based copy
protection in general it is time to realize that repeated failure (for
over 20 years now) does not guarantee eventual success, and in the
particular case of starforce disk based copy protection has progressed
well over the line to being malicious software.

Online account based protection on the other hand DOES work, as far as
online play is concerned anyway, with the downsides are that 1) you
need an internet connection, and 2) it may be difficult or even
impossible to sell the game once you tire of it. Compared to starforce
that seems like pretty tame downsides to me.

Fundamentally, I think disk based copy protection is flawed because it
protects the wrong thing. We're not interested in restricting access or
copying of the physical medium, we're interested in avoiding having
multiple copies of the content played simultaneously - and the logical
solution to that is accounts.

Andrew

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 10:04:32 +0930, GFree <gfree678@gmail.com> wrote:

>I'll speak for him. A little feature called "Shader Model 3.0" perhaps?
>Something that the Source will need for high-quality HDR? Something that
>the GeForce 6 cards can do and your precious little ATi card can't? :)

They seem to do quite well according to this:
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/far_cry_sm30/

nostromo

Thus spake Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk>, Sat, 16 Jul
2005 15:52:28 +0200, Anno Domini:

>Thusly "Kroagnon" <kroagnon@kroagnon.com> Spake Unto All:
>
>>Starforce loads DRIVERS? Wow, that's worse than Steam.
>
>Starforce *is* drivers, installed without telling you. And which
>prohibits install and/or crashes programs it doesn't like, like Nero
>and Daemon Tools, without telling you. And isn't uninstalled when you
>uninstall the game, but continues running. Naturally without telling
>you.
>
>It's malware, and any game "protected" by it a trojan horse. Simple as
>that. Steam is a paragon of virtue compared to the starforce filth.

Great. Any idea what list of games is infested with this filth? Is it a
particular shortlist of publishers? Gamecopyworld used to list the copy
protection against each game - I wonder if it's up to date...hmmm...off to
sniff around a bit.

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

"Spalls Hurgenson" <yoinks@ebalu.com> wrote in message

> I'm not sure I can agree with that. While I have no love of Starforce,
> at least I with a Starforce "protected" game, can just slap in a CD
> and play. Steam demands authorization first. Starforce is also quite
> happy to let you play at any ol' patch level, unlike Steam which you
> have to jump through hoops if you don't want to be auto-updated. With
> a Starforce "protected" game, once you get tired of it you can simply
> uninstall it and sell the game/manual/CD-key to somebody else, quite
> unlike Steam which is tied to a particular e-mail account which you
> may be loathe to surrender.
>
> The primary disadvantages of Starforce are:
>
> -it uses a kernel-level driver which is usually installed without
> adequately notifying the user. It is loaded at Windows start-up and
> intercepts calls to read the optical drive. While annoying, it is not
> by itself harmful (caveat: see below about how it interferes with Nero
> et al.)
>
> -Most games don't uninstall it automatically when they uninstall
> themselves (this is more the fault of the publisher, as they are the
> ones who install it in the first place and are responsible for
> removing it).
>
> - most egregiously, it conflicts with numerous CD/DVD burning
> programs, often requiring people to disable or uninstall useful
> applications just to get a game to run
>
> I think Starforce (and other similar over-the-top copy-protection
> systems, such as the newest Securom) are the wrong direction for
> software publishers, but I much prefer it to the direction Steam (and
> other in-development over-the-web-authorization programs) is taking
> us.

That's just crazy. Driver-based DRM? Disable another program on my drive to
run a game? Not gonna happen here. I use both Nero and Daemon Tools and I
won't unstall either to play any game.

No Starforce, no Steam, no DRM, no way. Don't expect to get my money if you
embed these DRM in your products.

x-no-archive: yes

Magnulus wrote:

<snip>

did you read the game's system requirements?
did it tell you it run on windows xp 64 bits?
why try being a hero and impress all your friends by jumping
into 64 bits when games are still not there?
so you expect publishers now create special versions only for
you cause you decided you want to run windows xp 64 bits to
use with pc games?
pc games are still not 64 bits
pc games are not ready for windows xp 64 bits
windows xp 64 bits is not a proper "os" for games
and win xp 64 is not even a mainstream "os"
microsoft only released it a couple of months ago they did
not even made a retail version but its only available in a
very restricted "oem" version
but even so you wanted everything prepared so you could run
any pc game in it right?
so your complain is worthless although its only motivation was
again trying to put down starforce
don't you know winxp 64 bits needs all new drivers specially
coded for it?
don't you know starforce is a driver based copy protection so
it does need a new 64 bit driver?
don't you know only a MINORITY of drivers have been written
for winxp 64 bits cause only a MINORITY uses winxp 64 bits?
obviously they will do a 64 bit driver for starforce but not
for you but rather when a significative number of gamers use
winxp 64 bits which will not happen any time soon

what you made was a another GRATUITOUS flame against starforce
when starforce existence is our FAULT!
yes ours! YOU and me and every single pc gamer fault
piracy is DEVASTATING pc games! DEVASTATING!
starforce is present in pc games cause WE pc gamers don't do
nothing about piracy and illegal copy of pc games when its our
job fighting against it
so like i say to everyone flaming starforce... mister do your
job! fight against piracy! don't lend, copy and give away your
own pc games! only then will you have the right to flame copy
protections
for now if there is anything to flame against its PIRACY!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

x-no-archive: yes

Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

<snip>

this is simply fabulous stuff!
again i see in this group high quality posts against steam
and really the best ones, the best this group can offer
you are back Spalls! finally!
and welcome!

--

Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

> But on the other hand, Starforce is merely the latest
> iteration of copy-protection methods that run back ten or
> fifteen years. It doesn't work, but on the other hand it
> isn't (really) worse than any of the previous iterations of
> the technology. Steam, however, is a new paradigm that is
> far worse in its scope than the older technologies.

exactly Spalls!
again you are back!
this is the high quality i saw last year when i first had
the luck of reading your great posts about steam
and this shows you are miles ahead of them
starforce is a copy protection
steam IS NOT A COPY PROTECTION!
steam is a all new paradigm shift a all new way to sell play
patch pc games... steam is the first step toward software as
a service
this really shows their complete ignorance and also how far
away and advanced you are in a proper analyses about steam
that's why i always trusted you and learned from you
for me this is probably the most important issue about steam
steam is not copy protection, steam is a new system for pc
games, and i owe it to you knowing to see the difference
Thanks Spalls!