Argh! Any KB/mouse control mods for GTA:SA?

Last response: in Video Games
July 15, 2005 5:46:32 PM

Why the hell did they make the controls even *less* configurable than
GTA:VC - it's not like they built a new engine for the damn game.
I can't stand the screen-relative movement. Any way to have simple FPS
WASD control w/avatar-relative movement?
I have the TOCA control mod thingy - and it makes it kinda tolerable
with a gamepad, but it still doesn't make the movement avatar-relative.

TIA!
Kendt
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 6:22:51 PM

eventerke@nspm.h0tmail.com wrote:
> Why the hell did they make the controls even *less* configurable than
> GTA:VC - it's not like they built a new engine for the damn game.
> I can't stand the screen-relative movement. Any way to have simple FPS
> WASD control w/avatar-relative movement?
> I have the TOCA control mod thingy - and it makes it kinda tolerable
> with a gamepad, but it still doesn't make the movement avatar-relative.

I'm a typical WASD FPS kinda guy too... and it took me a while to
figure out the best control scheme for GTA:SA.

The thing is: You can't play the game with the WASD scheme. Not if you
want to excel on the driving and flying missions. The best control
scheme for the game is with a Gamepad+mouse combo. Forget about the
keyboard.

I set the control scheme to "Keyboard+Mouse" in the option screen.
However, that does NOT mean my gamepad is disabled. I keep my left
hand on the game pad, with my thumb on the directional buttons for
movement. My other fingers on the left hand stay on the L1 & L2
buttons to control "Running" and "Jumping". My right hand is on my
mouse, which controls the direction of my movement (ie controls the
camera). Naturally, my mouse hand instinctively tries to keep the
camera behind my character at all times. The best thing about this is
that I map the right mouse button to "aim", so that everytime I gotta
shoot something, I hold down the right mouse button, aim for the
enemies' heads, and click the left mouse button to shoot. It made the
game soooo friggin' easy. Any veteran of PC FPS games will breeze
through virtually all the combat missions in GTA. My mouse's scroll
button switches the weapons.

With that simple control scheme, almost everything you need to do on
foot can be done without the keyboard. When I jump into a car, I let
go of the mouse and use the gamepad exclusively. The other buttons on
the gamepad were assigned to vehicle-specific controls, like gas,
brake, driveby, radio channels, etc.
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 12:49:47 PM

Quoth The Raven
"mexican_equivalent@yahoo.com"<mexican_equivalent@yahoo.com> in
1121462571.699301.228010@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com

> I'm a typical WASD FPS kinda guy too... and it took me a while to
> figure out the best control scheme for GTA:SA.
>
> The thing is: You can't play the game with the WASD scheme. Not if
> you want to excel on the driving and flying missions. The best
> control scheme for the game is with a Gamepad+mouse combo. Forget
> about the keyboard.
>
> I set the control scheme to "Keyboard+Mouse" in the option screen.
> However, that does NOT mean my gamepad is disabled. I keep my left
> hand on the game pad, with my thumb on the directional buttons for
> movement. My other fingers on the left hand stay on the L1 & L2
> buttons to control "Running" and "Jumping". My right hand is on my
> mouse, which controls the direction of my movement (ie controls the
> camera). Naturally, my mouse hand instinctively tries to keep the
> camera behind my character at all times. The best thing about this is
> that I map the right mouse button to "aim", so that everytime I gotta
> shoot something, I hold down the right mouse button, aim for the
> enemies' heads, and click the left mouse button to shoot. It made the
> game soooo friggin' easy. Any veteran of PC FPS games will breeze
> through virtually all the combat missions in GTA. My mouse's scroll
> button switches the weapons.
>
> With that simple control scheme, almost everything you need to do on
> foot can be done without the keyboard. When I jump into a car, I let
> go of the mouse and use the gamepad exclusively. The other buttons on
> the gamepad were assigned to vehicle-specific controls, like gas,
> brake, driveby, radio channels, etc.

good idea, I'll try to implement this

--
I've learned that we are responsible for what we do, unless we are
celebrities.

Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me
!