Any high-end, AGP vid-cards w/512MB of memory?

No Matrox or 3dLabs chipsets please, just ATI or Nvidia. Something tells me
I'm SOL. I've heard of 512MB versions of X800XL cards but they're for PCIe
only.

--
there is no .sig

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 06:48:53 GMT, "Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote:

>No Matrox or 3dLabs chipsets please, just ATI or Nvidia. Something tells me
>I'm SOL. I've heard of 512MB versions of X800XL cards but they're for PCIe
>only.

And why would you want to waste your money on such an animal ?
What size display do you run ? If a desktop size, you must be hunched
over peering closely. There is a little thing called visual acuity
which dominates at high pixel counts.

And if you really still want 512 Meg, you might as well upgrade your
system with a SLI PCIe motherboard and pop a couple of 256Meg
6600GTs in it.

John Lewis

>--
>there is no .sig

>>No Matrox or 3dLabs chipsets please, just ATI or Nvidia. Something tells
>>me
>>I'm SOL. I've heard of 512MB versions of X800XL cards but they're for PCIe
>>only.
>>

> And why would you want to waste your money on such an animal ?
> What size display do you run ? If a desktop size, you must be hunched
> over peering closely. There is a little thing called visual acuity
> which dominates at high pixel counts.

He didn't expect the Spanish inquisition !
Is it really your sole purpose in life to question everyone else's motives
for buying things and how much they are willing to pay ?
Btw, see if you can get me some discount here will you please ?
http://www.johnlewis.com/

John, there are games that work better with 512MB, Doom3 for one, FEAR for
another. The thing is, I've got a 128MB card now (9800 Pro) and if past
trends are any indication (i.e. people use to think 64MB vid-cards were a
waste of time/money) 512MB will be usable in the future.

--
there is no .sig

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 10:29:09 GMT, "redTed" <redted@NTL3mbfinally.com>
wrote:

>>>No Matrox or 3dLabs chipsets please, just ATI or Nvidia. Something tells
>>>me
>>>I'm SOL. I've heard of 512MB versions of X800XL cards but they're for PCIe
>>>only.
>>>

>> And why would you want to waste your money on such an animal ?
>> What size display do you run ? If a desktop size, you must be hunched
>> over peering closely. There is a little thing called visual acuity
>> which dominates at high pixel counts.
>>

>He didn't expect the Spanish inquisition !
>Is it really your sole purpose in life to question everyone else's motives
>for buying things and how much they are willing to pay ?

I don't like to see people pay out large sums for little real benefit.
If he had a >40-inch 2048x1536 display, then his purchase might
have made a little sense at a huge price-premium for the low
volume of current-gen 512Meg cards shipped... but he could
get the same results from a pair of main-stream cards in SLI mode,
probably with far better re-sale value too...

>Btw, see if you can get me some discount here will you please ?
>http://www.johnlewis.com/

Ah, yes. I used to work near Oxford Circus and passed said store
every day. Sadly born into the wrong branch of the family :-( :-(

John Lewis ( the other one...)

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 16:51:41 GMT, "Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote:

>John, there are games that work better with 512MB, Doom3 for one, FEAR for
>another. The thing is, I've got a 128MB card now (9800 Pro) and if past
>trends are any indication (i.e. people use to think 64MB vid-cards were a
>waste of time/money) 512MB will be usable in the future.

You pay top$$ for low volume and the core GPU for the current cards
with 512 Meg is now obsolete.

If you really want to pay through the nose today for a single 512 Meg
card as opposed to a SLI-pair of 256 Meg mainstream cards, wait a
little and see what fills in the nVidia 7800 family... or the
R520..... when ATi is done fishing alligators out of their Xbox360
swamp. BTW, if you ever do decide to go a dual-card route for any
reason, I suggest avoiding the ATi CrossDampSquib effort.

John Lewis

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 16:51:41 GMT, "Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote:

>John, there are games that work better with 512MB, Doom3 for one, FEAR for
>another. The thing is, I've got a 128MB card now (9800 Pro) and if past
>trends are any indication (i.e. people use to think 64MB vid-cards were a
>waste of time/money) 512MB will be usable in the future.

512Meg cards will be rare animals for quite a while, and thus command
the usual low-volume $$premium$$. Thus a SLI combination of 2 256Meg
mainstream cards seems a far more logical thing to do, besides giving
you a spanking new PCIe system for few extra shekels....

John Lewis

SLI isn't that good of a choice... and I'm saying that as somebody who has
an SLI motherboard. The economics of it just aren't there for the
performance you get. Sure, you can get an SLI card now and another one
later and be in business, but in the same period of time somebody is going
to make a better card that does more with the same amount of power. SLI
setups can be power hogs, they take up PCI or PCI-e slots you could use for
other things. Only the most "dedicated" gamer is going to find that
acceptable.

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 18:07:29 -0400, "Magnulus"
<magnulus@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> SLI isn't that good of a choice... and I'm saying that as somebody who has
>an SLI motherboard. The economics of it just aren't there for the
>performance you get. Sure, you can get an SLI card now and another one
>later and be in business, but in the same period of time somebody is going
>to make a better card that does more with the same amount of power. SLI
>setups can be power hogs, they take up PCI or PCI-e slots you could use for
>other things. Only the most "dedicated" gamer is going to find that
>acceptable.

The OP specifically requested <<512 Meg of memory>> for Doom3 and
FEAR. Newegg has the ATi X800XL/512Meg for $379 and 3 different 6800
Ultras/512Meg for $659 or so. All PCIe of course !. Then there is a
(yuk!) 6200/512Meg AGP for $109...that will do great on Doom3 in
640x480 or maybe even 800x600... and use about 64Meg of the 512
Meg card memory...

So if the OP really wants 512Meg and decent performance he had better
decide to upgrade to PCIe first and then choose between dual 256Meg
GPUs in SLI or single 512Meg. AGP is rapidly dying; do not expect any
performance offering of 512Meg AGP cards - the potential market for a
speciality offering such as this is too small and now shrinking.

OP, please read the following X800XL/512Meg review:-

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2406&p=1

You will end up a lot better informed about the trade-off between
memory and GPU performance,

John Lewis

I don't expect AGP is dying. Sure, it's not the latest thing, but go to
CompUSA or Best Buy and look around, most add-in cards are still AGP. For
many, many years they continued to make PCI cards, even when AGP came out,
and the same is going to happen with the transition to PCI Express.

Andrew

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 22:00:40 -0400, "Magnulus"
<magnulus@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> I don't expect AGP is dying.

Of course it is dying, new motherboards don't have AGP slots.

You can still get new socket 754 motherboards with AGP slots.

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 06:16:48 +0100, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.>
wrote:

>On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 22:00:40 -0400, "Magnulus"
><magnulus@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
>> I don't expect AGP is dying.
>
>Of course it is dying, new motherboards don't have AGP slots.

Not quite.

Take a look at this brave and seemingly very effective attempt
to bridge the two worlds and giving the user better contol
of obsolesence:-

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2471

For ULi appropriate marketing exposure could be a problem.
And the board is not yet in production.

For somebody wishing to graduate to a new PCIe-based platform
(in this case AMD 939, with the future prospect of X2 dual-core
simply by upgrading the processor ) but still owning an AGP board
of significant current value, such as 6800 Ultra, this motherboard
might be a 'dream come true'.

John Lewis

>--
>Andrew, contact via interpleb.blogspot.com
>Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
>please don't top post. Trim replies to quote only relevant text.
>Check groups.google.com before asking an obvious question.

Andrew

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 02:07:26 -0400, "Magnulus"
<magnulus@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> You can still get new socket 754 motherboards with AGP slots.

I meant new ones coming to market, of course there are existing older
mobo's still available and will be for a while.

John, maybe you missed the title of the post: "Any high-end *AGP* vid-cards
w/512MB of memory". I'm looking for an AGP 512MB vid-card not PCIe.

--
there is no .sig
> On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 16:51:41 GMT, "Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>>John, there are games that work better with 512MB, Doom3 for one, FEAR for
>>another. The thing is, I've got a 128MB card now (9800 Pro) and if past
>>trends are any indication (i.e. people use to think 64MB vid-cards were a
>>waste of time/money) 512MB will be usable in the future.
>>

> You pay top$$ for low volume and the core GPU for the current cards
> with 512 Meg is now obsolete.
>
> If you really want to pay through the nose today for a single 512 Meg
> card as opposed to a SLI-pair of 256 Meg mainstream cards, wait a
> little and see what fills in the nVidia 7800 family... or the
> R520..... when ATi is done fishing alligators out of their Xbox360
> swamp. BTW, if you ever do decide to go a dual-card route for any
> reason, I suggest avoiding the ATi CrossDampSquib effort.
>
> John Lewis

It's interesting that the anandtech article you linked doesn't do average
FPS for Doom3 (throughout an entire level) and instead use Doom3's demo1.
This demo doesn't adequately reflect performance in Doom3 because all the
textures for this demo fit in video memory. The intermittent stutters I get
in Doom3 on my 9800 Pro at 800x600 in various fan-made maps are due to
texture thrashing.

John, with the video card memory trends established in the past (4MB to 16MB
[voodoo 3/2000]to 32MB [GeForce 2/GTS] to 64MB [GeForce MX 440] to 128MB
[Ti4600] etc.) can you really tell me that future games won't make use of
the additional texture memory?

--
there is no .sig

"redTed" <redted@NTL3mbfinally.com> wrote in

>>>No Matrox or 3dLabs chipsets please, just ATI or Nvidia. Something
>>>tells me
>>>I'm SOL. I've heard of 512MB versions of X800XL cards but they're for
>>>PCIe only.
>>>

>> And why would you want to waste your money on such an animal ?
>> What size display do you run ? If a desktop size, you must be hunched
>> over peering closely. There is a little thing called visual acuity
>> which dominates at high pixel counts.
>>

> He didn't expect the Spanish inquisition !

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is
surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are
fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are
fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical
devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons....
Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come
in again.

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 18:39:39 GMT, "Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote:

>It's interesting that the anandtech article you linked doesn't do average
>FPS for Doom3 (throughout an entire level) and instead use Doom3's demo1.
>This demo doesn't adequately reflect performance in Doom3 because all the
>textures for this demo fit in video memory. The intermittent stutters I get
>in Doom3 on my 9800 Pro at 800x600 in various fan-made maps are due to
>texture thrashing.
>
>John, with the video card memory trends established in the past (4MB to 16MB
>[voodoo 3/2000]to 32MB [GeForce 2/GTS] to 64MB [GeForce MX 440] to 128MB
>[Ti4600] etc.) can you really tell me that future games won't make use of
>the additional texture memory?

They will. But do you want to pay double the price now or wait until
the games catch up and the price of such video cards fall into the
mainstream range ? That is why the Uli motherboard is so interesting -
keeeps your nice AGP video card running, while upgrading the processor
to dual-core ( or very fast single-core ) until such a time as you
wish to change over to PCIe with the video memory-size, GPU
type and video-card price all reasonably aligned with your needs

John Lewis

shawk

"Stone Monkey" <tenny2k@NOSPAMERSrtennant.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> "redTed" <redted@NTL3mbfinally.com> wrote in

>>> And why would you want to waste your money on such an animal ?
>>> What size display do you run ? If a desktop size, you must be hunched
>>> over peering closely. There is a little thing called visual acuity
>>> which dominates at high pixel counts.
>>>

>> He didn't expect the Spanish inquisition !
>
> NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is
> surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are
> fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are
> fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical
> devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons....
> Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come
> in again.

Someone had to do it... ;-)

"Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in news:1121643095.12117.0
@sabbath.news.uk.clara.net:

> "Stone Monkey" <tenny2k@NOSPAMERSrtennant.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
>> "redTed" <redted@NTL3mbfinally.com> wrote in

>>> He didn't expect the Spanish inquisition !
>>
>> NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is
>> surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons
are
>> fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons
are
>> fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical
>> devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons....
>> Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll
come
>> in again.
>
> Someone had to do it... ;-)

im actually surprised i was the first

John, I thought ULI was a chipset, not a motherboard? The article referenced
talks about a chipset. AFAIK, there are no motherboard manufacturers using
the ULI chipset. The AGP bridge is also an option that doesn't have to be
implemented. Have you found any motherboard vendors actually making boards
that have AGP and PCIe?

--
there is no .sig

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 21:35:43 GMT, "Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote:

>John, I thought ULI was a chipset, not a motherboard? The article referenced
>talks about a chipset.

Obviously you neither read my posting pointing at the article nor the
article itself very thoroughly. The review was carried out on a real
live Reference board ULi AP9507A (M1695/M1567) using the real
chips...

> AFAIK, there are no motherboard manufacturers using
>the ULI chipset.

Sure, I pointed out in my posting that the board was not in
production.

> The AGP bridge is also an option that doesn't have to be
>implemented. Have you found any motherboard vendors actually making boards
>that have AGP and PCIe?

Nope. Not yet... However, Anand's review might help push some
manufacturers in the direction of this interesting cross-over design.
It would be likely to make a lot more money for them than the
ATi CrossFire turkey-answer to nVidia's SLI.

John Lewis

John Lewis wrote:

> Ah, yes. I used to work near Oxford Circus and passed said store
> every day. Sadly born into the wrong branch of the family :-( :-(

Sad for you, not them...

Doesn't ECS have one?