San Andreas Hot Coffee is in the PS2 disk too!

Last response: in Video Games
July 16, 2005 8:31:22 PM

this is an excerpt from an online news article. The full article is at
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/article_display.js...

While "it's definitely, theoretically possible," said Jake, that a
modder could have created all-new content for "San Andreas," the fact
that new codes for the cheat device Action Replay make it possible to
play the "Hot Coffee" scenario in the PlayStation 2 version of the
game makes it highly likely that all the code is already present on
the game disc as shipped.

"It's simply not possible that an Action Replay code could have all
that animation data or control ... this code is literally a few
numbers, which is not enough to (create that content) from scratch,"
Jake explained. "The code doesn't even change any of the files on the
disc; all that does is after the game is loaded into memory it's
changing memory locations -- it's changing the contents of code which
is in the PS2's memory at that point."

He continued, "Up until this Action Replay thing surfaced, it wasn't
playable unless you either had the PC version or you modded your Xbox,
but it looks like this PS2 version allows you to do it just if you
have a normal PS2, an Action Replay and a copy of "GTA: SA." That's
definitely a bigger smoking gun for me."

But does this mean that Rockstar is lying? Not necessarily. It's a
matter of semantics. Although Rockstar reportedly denied the content,
the company never used those words specifically. Its latest statement
is perhaps deliberately vague and is certainly open to interpretation.
Rockstar said that the "scenes cannot be created without intentional
and significant technical modifications to the game's source code,"
but that also depends on what "significant" means. "The game's source
code has been changed, even in the Action Replay version of the code
to enable that," says Jake. "So Rockstar's statement is not
technically wrong."

If the ESRB or the FTC eventually finds that the Hot Coffee code is
indeed already included in the original source code, Rockstar could be
forced to recall the game, which would no doubt have a serious
financial impact on them and parent company Take-Two Interactive.

"In my opinion, they may have to recall the game. And if you consider
financially what that does to them, that's a pretty big deal... I
wasn't sure that they'd have to recall the game when there wasn't an
Action Replay cheat but now that the cheat exists (for the PS2) I
think they will have to recall," Jake said. "Then they would have to
rerelease it, repress the game, with those sections removed (in order
to keep the 'M' rating), which would pose a substantial financial
problem for them I would think."

"If the code is on the disk, we call upon Rockstar to issue a general
recall, with a full refund, of all units of 'Grand Theft Auto: San
Andreas' so they can be properly labeled Adults Only (AO)," said
Walsh. "On the other hand, if the 'Hot Coffee' sequences have been
created, independent of any Rockstar's actions, then parents
everywhere need to be alerted. If interactive pornography can be so
easily inserted into this video game, it can be inserted into any
game."

When contacted for comment, a Rockstar rep said the company could not
elaborate beyond what was already written in the previous statement.
They did, however, issue a new statement in support of the ESRB and
game ratings, which appears below.
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 5:47:11 AM

"mike allegretto" <rallegre@stny.rr.com> wrote in message
> "In my opinion, they may have to recall the game. And if you consider
> financially what that does to them, that's a pretty big deal... I
> wasn't sure that they'd have to recall the game when there wasn't an
> Action Replay cheat but now that the cheat exists (for the PS2) I
> think they will have to recall," Jake said. "Then they would have to
> rerelease it, repress the game, with those sections removed (in order
> to keep the 'M' rating), which would pose a substantial financial
> problem for them I would think."

"If you have the original release of GTA:SA, which contains free porn, you
can turn it in to us for a free replacement, which contains no porn."

Projected cost of replacements: $0.00

The real "cost" to Rockstar would be lost sales: I'm sure many would refuse
to buy the newer, cleaned-up copies, and instead try to pickup second-hand
originals off ebay.
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 7:07:28 AM

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 01:47:11 GMT, "Kevin C." <nomail@dot.com> wrote:

>"mike allegretto" <rallegre@stny.rr.com> wrote in message
>> "In my opinion, they may have to recall the game. And if you consider
>> financially what that does to them, that's a pretty big deal... I
>> wasn't sure that they'd have to recall the game when there wasn't an
>> Action Replay cheat but now that the cheat exists (for the PS2) I
>> think they will have to recall," Jake said. "Then they would have to
>> rerelease it, repress the game, with those sections removed (in order
>> to keep the 'M' rating), which would pose a substantial financial
>> problem for them I would think."
>
>"If you have the original release of GTA:SA, which contains free porn, you
>can turn it in to us for a free replacement, which contains no porn."
>
>Projected cost of replacements: $0.00
>
>The real "cost" to Rockstar would be lost sales: I'm sure many would refuse
>to buy the newer, cleaned-up copies, and instead try to pickup second-hand
>originals off ebay.

Yes, in spite of Hillary "look in every trash-can for votes" Clinton,
I suspect that at least 95% wil hold on to their current copies. I
wonder if Bill downloaded the mod and H. caught him running it ?
Life with H. must be hell.

John Lewis
July 17, 2005 10:17:19 PM

The cost of replacing all copies of GTA:SA w/cleaned up versions would not
be zero. If Rockstar has to cover all the shipping costs for receiving the
dirty versions and sending the clean versions it could add up quickly to a
HUGE amount of money. Let's say it's $16.00 to R&R every dirty copy of
GTA:SA. If only 5000 people had to R&R their copies that would be $80,000.
If Rockstar is forced by the government to R&R EVERY copy of GTA:SA they're
profit margin is going to shrink substantially because EVERY copy they've
sold to date will have $16.00 added to its cost.

--
there is no .sig
"Kevin C." <nomail@dot.com> wrote in message

> "mike allegretto" <rallegre@stny.rr.com> wrote in message
>> "In my opinion, they may have to recall the game. And if you consider
>> financially what that does to them, that's a pretty big deal... I
>> wasn't sure that they'd have to recall the game when there wasn't an
>> Action Replay cheat but now that the cheat exists (for the PS2) I
>> think they will have to recall," Jake said. "Then they would have to
>> rerelease it, repress the game, with those sections removed (in order
>> to keep the 'M' rating), which would pose a substantial financial
>> problem for them I would think."
>
> "If you have the original release of GTA:SA, which contains free porn, you
> can turn it in to us for a free replacement, which contains no porn."
>
> Projected cost of replacements: $0.00
>
> The real "cost" to Rockstar would be lost sales: I'm sure many would
> refuse
> to buy the newer, cleaned-up copies, and instead try to pickup second-hand
> originals off ebay.

Anonymous
July 17, 2005 11:14:37 PM

"Kevin C." <nomail@dot.com> wrote:

>"mike allegretto" <rallegre@stny.rr.com> wrote in message
>> "In my opinion, they may have to recall the game. And if you consider
>> financially what that does to them, that's a pretty big deal... I
>> wasn't sure that they'd have to recall the game when there wasn't an
>> Action Replay cheat but now that the cheat exists (for the PS2) I
>> think they will have to recall," Jake said. "Then they would have to
>> rerelease it, repress the game, with those sections removed (in order
>> to keep the 'M' rating), which would pose a substantial financial
>> problem for them I would think."
>
>"If you have the original release of GTA:SA, which contains free porn, you
>can turn it in to us for a free replacement, which contains no porn."
>
>Projected cost of replacements: $0.00
>
>The real "cost" to Rockstar would be lost sales: I'm sure many would refuse
>to buy the newer, cleaned-up copies, and instead try to pickup second-hand
>originals off ebay.

The cost would be shipping back every copy currently in stores,
relabelling or replacing them, and lost sales from the game being
unavailable during that time.
July 18, 2005 5:00:00 PM

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 18:17:19 GMT, "Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote:

>The cost of replacing all copies of GTA:SA w/cleaned up versions would not
>be zero. If Rockstar has to cover all the shipping costs for receiving the
>dirty versions and sending the clean versions it could add up quickly to a
>HUGE amount of money.

Or they just ship 'AO' stickers to all their distributors to slap on
the current boxes.
!