Fresh Install or Image?

irishfan89

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
So recently strange things started to happen on my PC. Internet connectivity issues, freezing and lagging, etc...
I though it was a virus so I spent hours trying to clean it up. I still get some random things going wrong (HDMI handshaking where video no sound after monitor off, freezing, and sluggishness).
I was thinking about just saying screw it and reformatting hard drives and re-installing windows 7 when I remembered right after the first time I installed (well second tried to install comodo and completely crashed my fresh installl system) I made a backup Image.
So..what exactly is a system image. Should I use this to try to fix problems and if so how, or just do fresh install.

I really do not care about losing data or saved games or anything like that. I was thinking about getting another hdd anyway and maybe Raid 0, but right Now I just want my PC back to normal whether its a virus issue or drivers or bad programs I do not know, hoping to figure out by process of elimination.

Thanks for the help and I am clearly not a programmer so please dumb down the jargin for me-Thanks!

Solution
Depends on at what point you made the Image ---

If you did a fresh install and then made the image - the result would be the same

If you did a fresh install - updated windows - installed all device drivers and updated - and then made the image - then using the image is faster and better than a fresh install

If you made the image after using the system for a while and already had a lot of unneeded stuff installed and running so that the image includes alot of useless junk - then a fresh clean install would be best.

So really depends on the image and the state of the system when that image was created !!
The image is just a backup - a snapshot of the system at the time the image was made. If you weren't having problems when you made the image, then restoring it shouldn't be a problem.

If you want to eliminate the odds of it being a bad install, then reinstall from scratch.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
if your image is fresh and untouch, go with it....if not then do a custom fresh install....the reason for a fresh image is because you don't have to worry about reinstalling the correct drivers and software

Depends on at what point you made the Image ---

If you did a fresh install and then made the image - the result would be the same

If you did a fresh install - updated windows - installed all device drivers and updated - and then made the image - then using the image is faster and better than a fresh install

If you made the image after using the system for a while and already had a lot of unneeded stuff installed and running so that the image includes alot of useless junk - then a fresh clean install would be best.

So really depends on the image and the state of the system when that image was created !!

Solution

irishfan89

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
Yea I think I am going to do fresh install. I think the problems might come a from a driver issue as I installed a bunch right before the problems...process of elimination.
Thanks guys1