Sign in with
Your question

Connecting Tp link powerline adapter to power strip?

Tags:
  • Powerline
  • TP-Link
  • Power
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
September 28, 2012 5:24:31 AM

I will be purchasing the AV200 powerline kit from Tp-link and want to know whether there will be any issues in connected them through either a power strip or double adapter?

More about : connecting link powerline adapter power strip

September 28, 2012 8:40:10 AM

It isn't recommended but try it out and see if it works. Also, some power strips may work better then others so you will have to experiment a bit.
m
l
September 28, 2012 9:27:53 AM

thanks for the reply. Ill see what happens and post something up.
m
l
Related resources
September 28, 2012 9:30:30 AM

I've done this and it did work, I found the speeds weren't great though, but I would certainly give it a go, as it will differ so much depending on the quality of wiring in your house. Essentially, you will get interference if you are plugging into a maxed out Power strip, which in turn will be slower connection speeds.
m
l
September 28, 2012 9:43:40 AM

This will be an upgrade from a netgear wireless usb that has a top capacity of 54mbps, The router is in the next room on the same lever and the house is like 4 years old.
m
l
September 28, 2012 9:46:15 AM

I would get the drill out! :) 
Failing that, maybe look into 5Ghz network adapter and router. That wireless band is significantly less congested and can offer excellent speed and consistency, that's what I switched to after the Powerlines, before finally getting that drill out!
m
l
September 28, 2012 10:46:30 AM

lukeconft said:
I would get the drill out! :) 
Failing that, maybe look into 5Ghz network adapter and router. That wireless band is significantly less congested and can offer excellent speed and consistency, that's what I switched to after the Powerlines, before finally getting that drill out!

Did you have any issues with the network card? Drilling isnt an option in a house with Europeans :non:  I did have a dlink adapter although it was a standard one not 5G and it was causing my system to freeze with 64bit but i think that was due to the fact it didnt have 64bit drivers. I do have a netgear dgnd3700 so this 5G option looks ok, i might go with that and see how it goes.
m
l
September 28, 2012 10:59:36 AM

I found it was much better than the powerline, but I had always planned to put cabling in when I could be bothered... too much procrastination! I found lot's of WNDA3200 with virgin media branding on ebay. Are you in the UK? If so, that is certainly your best option as they are around £5-10. Certainly worth giving it a go before forking out £50+ for the powerline since you already have the router, which is easily the most expensive part of moving to 5Ghz!
m
l
September 30, 2012 8:52:26 AM

It kinda depends. If you live in an apartment and /or congested area wireless can be really bad, even 5Ghz, it will get worse soon with many people moving to 5Ghz. Wireless will almost always have conflicts.

I think the power line is the way to go. Direct cabling is best of course but your house is only 4 years old so wiring should not be a problem.
m
l
!