Connecting Tp link powerline adapter to power strip?

sputnik27

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012
I will be purchasing the AV200 powerline kit from Tp-link and want to know whether there will be any issues in connected them through either a power strip or double adapter?

lukeconft

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
I've done this and it did work, I found the speeds weren't great though, but I would certainly give it a go, as it will differ so much depending on the quality of wiring in your house. Essentially, you will get interference if you are plugging into a maxed out Power strip, which in turn will be slower connection speeds.

sputnik27

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012
This will be an upgrade from a netgear wireless usb that has a top capacity of 54mbps, The router is in the next room on the same lever and the house is like 4 years old.

lukeconft

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
I would get the drill out! :)
Failing that, maybe look into 5Ghz network adapter and router. That wireless band is significantly less congested and can offer excellent speed and consistency, that's what I switched to after the Powerlines, before finally getting that drill out!

sputnik27

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012

Did you have any issues with the network card? Drilling isnt an option in a house with Europeans :non: I did have a dlink adapter although it was a standard one not 5G and it was causing my system to freeze with 64bit but i think that was due to the fact it didnt have 64bit drivers. I do have a netgear dgnd3700 so this 5G option looks ok, i might go with that and see how it goes.

lukeconft

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
I found it was much better than the powerline, but I had always planned to put cabling in when I could be bothered... too much procrastination! I found lot's of WNDA3200 with virgin media branding on ebay. Are you in the UK? If so, that is certainly your best option as they are around £5-10. Certainly worth giving it a go before forking out £50+ for the powerline since you already have the router, which is easily the most expensive part of moving to 5Ghz!

thee_prisoner

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
It kinda depends. If you live in an apartment and /or congested area wireless can be really bad, even 5Ghz, it will get worse soon with many people moving to 5Ghz. Wireless will almost always have conflicts.

I think the power line is the way to go. Direct cabling is best of course but your house is only 4 years old so wiring should not be a problem.