Sign in with
Your question

Audigy problems: No center channel?

Last response: in Components
September 4, 2002 10:36:56 PM

Just installed my Audigy Gamer, paired up with the promedia 5.1's. Very cool speakers, very lame card. I can't seem to get anything out of the center channel speaker. The speaker itself is not dead, and the connections have been double and triple checked.

I downloaded Creative's newest drivers, but my system locks up at the "Searching for installed components" prompt before they can even be put in. I've tried installing these in safe mode (WinME) and still can't get them working.

Has anyone else experienced problems with a single channel like this with their Audigy? Any clue what to do about the drivers?

I'm running an old hewlett packard P3 with onboard sound. This crappy gray box is sure to be the next thing I toss out, so don't make fun of it!
September 4, 2002 10:38:23 PM

Almost forgot, I haven't tried switching the card into another PCI slot yet. Seems like some problems get fixed this way. Anyone think this might help me?
September 5, 2002 5:18:07 AM

The drivers are definitely the problem you'll have to uninstall the card completely and reinstall it, and make sure WinME is not trying to restore the drivers when it restarts, and on an older M/B I got my best results when I used the PCI slot furtherest from the video card. Hope this helps Ryan.

P.S. I know you don't want to hear this, but a complete reloading of your system, may be how you end up getting this problem solved.

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.
Related resources
September 5, 2002 12:45:14 PM

Quote:
Just installed my Audigy Gamer, paired up with the promedia 5.1's. Very cool speakers, very lame card. I can't seem to get anything out of the center channel speaker.

I have the same setup, works fine. Did you set the card to 5.1 in your Speaker applet under AudioHQ? How are you testing the center channel, with the speaker test routine?

Ritesh
September 5, 2002 11:02:27 PM

May have found the problem: lame power supply. I'll be upping it to 430w soon when I get a new case, but as for right now it's putting out a hefty 132w (ha).

I'm figuring that POS PSU just isn't supplying enough power to the card to get it working properly. Would anyone second this notion?

To ritesh: yeah I set to 5.1 during the setup. I checked the center channel speaker by just hooking one of the front speaker wires to that center channel, and the actual speaker itself is not dead. Maybe the output on the back of the subwoofer is, but not the speaker.

Will let everyone know how this works out when I update the old power supply.
September 14, 2002 4:28:44 AM

I just installed Audigy Gamer and Klipsh 5.1 speakers and I have the same problem. In AudioHQ speakers are set to 5.1 and the center channel tests ok. But it is not present when you play any kind of music or games. Demo of Dolby Digital 5.1 does not produce any sound, but Dream demo workes fine. So I have no clue what is going on. Does anyone else have any sugestions?
September 14, 2002 7:05:07 AM

Personally I had noticed the same problem with my own card, I got fed up with trying to resolve the issue and went with the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, and the issue is gone. TBSC is a much better audio solution and its cheaper than the Creative, and it works.

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.
September 14, 2002 10:43:46 PM

Quote:
But it is not present when you play any kind of music or games.

The center channel is not used in music. Also, only EAX games use the center channel.

Quote:
Demo of Dolby Digital 5.1 does not produce any sound

Turn on the AC-3 decoding in the Speaker applet advanced settings.

Ritesh
September 20, 2002 2:26:42 PM

Ok. That makes sense now. WarCraft 3 uses EAX 2 and center channel works, Win DVD 4 also decodes Dolby Digital and it works fine. In older games like CS. DeusEx, RTCW there is no center channel. Is it because its based on EAX 1 with no 5.1 support?
Thanks for help.
September 20, 2002 8:24:27 PM

Quote:
In older games like CS. DeusEx, RTCW there is no center channel. Is it because its based on EAX 1 with no 5.1 support?

Hmm, I know that Thief uses the center channel and I think that game is too old to use EAX 2. I actually didn't think any of my games were using the center until one day I tried disconnecting all speakers except the center. I discovered that it was used quite a bit by many of my games! :) 

Ritesh
September 21, 2002 5:33:18 AM

I own a Audigy Platinum paired with Cambridge Soundworks DTT2200 5.1 speakers. Had the samw problem, but I had a simple solution. My speakers don't have their own Dolby Digital 5.1 decoder, so the card has to do the work. However, if you set up the card for 5.1 speakers, it will default to speaker decoding.

I simply went to the speaker section in surround mixer, hit the advanced button, and checked AC3 decode box. Problem fixed. Let me know if this fixes your problem.

P.S. I have as of yet to hear a Turtle Beach card beat the audio of this card. I admit some come close, and the difference probably isn't worth the money. I don't think I could bring myself to switch though.

Pain is the realization of your own weakness.
September 23, 2002 3:55:35 AM

Everything works now, but I think that creative should have a better support and documentation for Audigy cards.
Thanks to everybody for help
!