memory dump at startup

marabob

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2001
I'm using an Abit KT7A Raid board with ath 1.2, 756 megs ram,
asus dual head video board. It has been running great for months. Today while using the machine it crashed and upon boot up (after I get the windows 2000 loading screen) I get a message "Beginning dump of physical memory. Physical memory dump complete." It the attempts to boot again. I turned off the raid in bios. Still the same.
Any thoughts.
Thanks
Bob

When it hits the fan, it make a mess.

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
Shot in the dark - bad stick o memory.

Come back here and post the first few lines of that bluescreen and I'll lookup the error for ya.

marabob

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2001
Thanks for the offer Smilin
Here is the text of what shows up just before it crashes

*** STOP: 0X00000050 (0XE1C75004,0X00000000,0X8052CA2B,0X00000001)
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

*** Address 8052CA2B base at 80400000, DateStamp 3ad7ad60 - ntoskrnl.exe

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete. Conatact your system administrator or
techinal support group.

THANKS
MARABOB

marabob

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2001
No it's not overclocked
do you think it is hardware or software?

When it hits the fan, it make a mess.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by marabob on 03/15/02 11:47 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<A HREF="http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/default.asp?url=/WINDOWS2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/prork/prhd_exe_duol.asp" target="_new">Windows 2000 Stop Messages</A>

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Tantalizing Tantric Toy</font color=green></A>
<font color=red>Second Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=15942" target="_new"><font color=green>Toey's Dynamite DDR Duron</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."</font color=purple>

marabob

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2001
Thanks toejame31
Followed your link, then did a search for ntoskrnl.exe and found this
<font color=blue>Initializing Device Drivers
Ntoskrnl.exe initializes the low-level device drivers with a start value of 0x0, which were loaded during the Kernel load phase. Ntoskrnl.exe then scans the subkey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services for device drivers with a Start value of 0x1, which are initialized as soon as they are loaded. They are not loaded by BIOS, but by the device drivers loaded during the kernel load phase and that have already been initialized.

Error Processing
If an error occurs during the loading and initializing of a device driver, the action taken is based on the value of the ErrorControl entry in the registry subkey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services for the device driver that has a problem.

<font color=black>Now is there a way to find the defective driver. And once the driver is found how do you fix it, if can't boot the machine.
thanks

When it hits the fan, it make a mess.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by marabob on 03/15/02 01:10 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Can you boot the system into Safe Mode? (Hit the F8 key, right before Windows normally begins to load.) If so, you could look in the Event Viewer, and see if any additional information could be obtained about the source of the problem.

Start\Settings\Control Panel\Administrative Tools\Event Viewer, Application or System Log.

You could also try to load the Last Known Good Configuration from the Boot Menu, or boot with the operating system CD, and after the hardware is detected during setup, choose to repair the installation. This might allow you to reach the desktop again.

Note: Change the boot order priority in the BIOS to CD-ROM in order to boot with the operating system CD.

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Tantalizing Tantric Toy</font color=green></A>
<font color=red>Second Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=15942" target="_new"><font color=green>Toey's Dynamite DDR Duron</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."</font color=purple>

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
You're always in good hands/feet with toejam :)

I looked up that error...nothing specific, solutions all over the board...some of em definately pointing to hardware.

You know what was happening in the days before the crash: were there any big software changes? Antivirus?

You're using a raid controller, is it a promise or a highpoint? Are you using a SB Live soundcard (there are nasty problems between a promise card and a sb live)

You're running a boatload of memory, take it down to one stick while you're troubleshooting this thing.

marabob

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2001
Every thing was running well. The dual head video card was set in single montitor mode. I was having problems with Windows media player. It would error out. Just before the crash I made Realplayer the default. The crash occured just as I finished burning a CD.

marabob

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2001
I tried to boot from the CD when I ran console recovery and the emergency repair I got the stop error again.
What next?

marabob

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2001
I have removed 2 sticks of memory. Now when the machine tries to boot from the hard drive I get this message
"The following file is missing or corrupt. Win 2000 root\system32\ntoskrnl.exe Please reintall.
How do you reinstall if you can't boot?

marabob

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2001
With the sticks of memory removed I got recovery console to load from the CD. Now What? I was thinking of removeing the Adaptec easy cd - real player - and win media player. How do you go about doing this from recovery console?