Different Size Modules Effect Performance?

TheTrueBaracuda

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2002
I could not find any information on this when I did a search. Maybe I entered the wrong keywords. But here goes..

I have 256MB PC2100 Crucial Ram. The motherboard has 3 DDR slots. I would like to add two sticks of 512MB PC2100 Crucial Ram while keeping the other stick in place also. Would the difference in the size of the modules have any effect on performance?

Some of you suggest PC2700 for upgrading and overclocking. But, the difference of $50 for each stick makes is not very attractive. I do not wish to overclock and by the time I upgrade again PC2700 will be outdated already.

Thanks,
Todd

nja469

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2002
Before I noticed you wanted 1GB of RAM I was going to suggest one stick of PC2100 or 2700 RAM, whichever was cheapest since you knew you wouldn't upgrade until new memory tech. was out. Typically, PC2100 and PC2700 are on par cost wise, but 1GB sticks are outrageously priced.

You could get two sticks and you <i>might</i> be able to run the best memory timings w/o issues, but then again I've seen some weird [-peep-] lately with chipsets and memory and it's the least hasslesome route to get one dimm. But you don't have a choice unless you're banked, so I recommend ordering two EXACT modules. You should end up okay then.

TheTrueBaracuda

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2002
I am currently running the fastest timings with the 256MB stick of ram.

My question is weather there would be a difference in performance when using the current 256MB stick AND two 512 sticks? Total of 1280MB of RAM.

Or would I be better off buying three 512MB sticks of PC2100/PC2700? I am not sure if mixing dimm sizes causes adverse effects with regards to performance.

Also what site have you found that offeres the same prices for PC2700 and PC2100. The prices I have seen are $179 vs $120 respectivly for crucial ram.

Thanks,
Todd

nja469

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2002
As I said in my post. If you must have more than one stick, get EXACT SAME MODULE (brand, model, speed, everythnig) as exact as possible. While you may be okay if you mix and match memory, lately it seems you'd be stupid to do so. It's best to get exact!

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
Whatever combination of RAM sticks you might think of, if you are able to run them at the same timing, there obviously is no performance difference. However, and this is the tricky part, having several sticks (and especially if they are of different brands) might limit the maximum timing you are able to run them stable at. This will force you to relax the timings, reducing performance. So there really is not a unique answer to your question. It depends on whether you mobe can support 3 sticks at maximum frequency (many can not) and whether the sticks you find can work together atall at that speed.