New Gaming Computer Setup Concern (internet)

mxzeal

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
Hello,
I will be buying my first real gaming PC very soon and i currently have a minor concern, since i am very new to "technology". My Router is located in the basement (where i normally would be gaming) but i would really like to move my new setup into my bedroom but my question is.

Will lower internet speeds really effect my gaming? Even if not i really don't want slow download speeds either.
Doing a test connection my wired desktop downstairs i get 80MB/s download speed 9 ping.
Doing the same test wireless i get about 18MB/s
download speed with 15 ping.
I'm not really sure if this is worth being comfortable in my bedroom.
I play games for a good chunk of my day and download tons of movies games music and programs.
If i do decide to setup my desktop to my bedroom i will most likely buy a Powerline Adapter due to my wireless cutting off every now and then being 3 floors apart.

What do you guys think? Am i being a bit to picky or should i just move to my room ?
Thanks.

Also if if i do decide to get a powerline adapter which one do you recommend?
(if going to link use a Canadian site please)

lukeconft

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
I would stay with a proper wired connection. I found powerline adapters to suffer too much from interference. The problem with any kind of network connection that isn't wired is that it will suffer from interference and dropped packets. For normal web use, this isn't really a problem, but there are few things more irritating than being killed because your computer had lagged out for a second. It would also be a bit of a waste of your very fast internet connection. People rave about the speeds of wireless these days, but it will be a long time before someone comes up with a wireless technology that will get me off my gbit LAN.
If you want comfort and speed, buy a nice new gaming chair for your basement! :)

mxzeal

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012

Thanks for taking you're time to reply.
but the debate is still going on in my head! Everywhere i look reviews and other forum websites it seems tons of people are really enjoying their Powerline Adapters for gaming but i know they aren't better then wireless but still :/

lukeconft

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
It may be worth giving a go if you have the money, just to satisfy your need to test it, you can always sell up if you don't find them very good. A lot of it will depend on the wiring in your house, but as I say, I didn't have a particularly good experience, and I suspect, coming from a WAN connection like yours, that it will make a considerable difference.