can someone help me with my homework.... please!!! (output..

i would like to know what it means when a mixing desk has an"output matrix"
? i can take a guess but would like to know the specifics i.e. who it works
and what its used for ....
tia
ben
2 answers Last reply
More about homework please output

    In article <414593f2$1@news.comindico.com.au> notme@all.com writes:

    > i would like to know what it means when a mixing desk has an"output matrix"
    > ? i can take a guess but would like to know the specifics i.e. who it works
    > and what its used for ....

    It's a mixer that comes after the mixer. It's inputs are the mixer's
    busses, and its outputs are used for all sorts of assorted purposes,
    one of which might be the main PA outputs, one might be a broadcast or
    recording mix, one might feed the lounge or Green Room.

    The reason that it's called a "matrix" is because the controls are
    usually arranged as a matrix with inputs on the rows and outputs on
    the column or vice versa. If you've ever used a monitor mixing
    console, you've seen something pretty close to a matrix mixer, where
    you have a whole bunch of auxiliary send pots on each channel, with
    each auxiliary send feeding a different monitor speaker or (nowadays)
    in-ear monitor.

    On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 12:34:59 GMT, "Benji" <notme@all.com> wrote:

    >i would like to know what it means when a mixing desk has an"output matrix"
    >? i can take a guess but would like to know the specifics i.e. who it works
    >and what its used for ....
    > tia
    > ben

    Ben,

    Well, we certainly need more trained audio techs, so I'll help with
    your homework. The matrix is a submixer within a mixing desk. As
    inputs, it usually takes the subgroups and stereo outputs of the main
    mixer. It usually provide 2 to 6 independent outputs to be used for
    .... whatever.

    Whatever may include: recording, broadcast, lobby speakers, dressing
    room speakers, delay speakers, assisted-hearing devices, etc.

    Here's an picture of a 10 x 2 matrix on an A&G GL3300 mixer, which is
    the smallest mixing desk I know of with a matrix.
    http://www.allen-heath.com/DisplayFeature.asp?view=91

    Glad to see that you're doing your homework; I'm tired of working with
    techs who show up at a gig knowing nothing about the band or the
    equipment.

    Mike T.

Pro Audio Audio Matrix