BF2 - will new CPU help?

Hi,

I'd like a bit more speed/detail in BF2.

I'm running on an XP2100+ with a 9800 Pro. Is it CPU or GPU limited ?
My cheap option is to replace the CPU with 3200+

Will this make a big differecne or is the 9800 pro the problem?

Does anybody with the same setup have any advice?

TIA

Ian

--

'What we have here is a failure to communicate'
7 answers Last reply

    Blonks wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'd like a bit more speed/detail in BF2.
    >
    > I'm running on an XP2100+ with a 9800 Pro. Is it CPU or GPU limited ?
    > My cheap option is to replace the CPU with 3200+
    >
    > Will this make a big differecne or is the 9800 pro the problem?
    >
    > Does anybody with the same setup have any advice?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Ian
    >

    > --
    >
    > 'What we have here is a failure to communicate'

    I would upgrade to a 6600gt (at least) and 2 gigs of ram before I
    upgraded the CPU, if I had the computer you're running.

    "Blonks" <Blonkster@_NOSTINKINSPAM_ntlworld.com> wrote in message

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'd like a bit more speed/detail in BF2.
    >
    > I'm running on an XP2100+ with a 9800 Pro. Is it CPU or GPU limited ?
    > My cheap option is to replace the CPU with 3200+
    >
    > Will this make a big differecne or is the 9800 pro the problem?
    >
    > Does anybody with the same setup have any advice?

    If you want to upgrade your CPU, go with a P4 2.8Ghz and up. If you
    want to upgrade your video card go for an ATI X800 XT. I started to get the
    9800 but the X800 XT cards were only about $60 more with twice as much
    memory, 256MB.

    John

    On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 22:02:56 GMT, "John Slade" <hitman86@pacbell.net>
    wrote:

    > If you want to upgrade your CPU, go with a P4 2.8Ghz and up.

    Yeah, P4's fit in an Athlon XP socket like a glove don't they, *sigh*.

    On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 19:35:09 GMT, Blonks
    <Blonkster@_NOSTINKINSPAM_ntlworld.com> wrote:

    >I'd like a bit more speed/detail in BF2.
    >
    >I'm running on an XP2100+ with a 9800 Pro. Is it CPU or GPU limited ?

    Probably a bit of both. Try dropping your resolution down to 640x480.
    If it doesn't speed up much, you are CPU limited. I have an XP2500+
    CPU and it runs it fine, and probably isn't much faster than yours, so
    a video card upgrade may help. I have a 6600GT, but only with 128MB.
    If you want to use high detail textures, you will need a 256+MB card.
    1.5GB or above of RAM comes in very handy for BF2 as well.

    Blonks wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'd like a bit more speed/detail in BF2.
    >
    > I'm running on an XP2100+ with a 9800 Pro. Is it CPU or GPU limited ?
    > My cheap option is to replace the CPU with 3200+
    >
    > Will this make a big differecne or is the 9800 pro the problem?
    >
    > Does anybody with the same setup have any advice?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Ian
    >

    > --
    >
    > 'What we have here is a failure to communicate'

    I am running a 3200+ and I 9800 Pro and BF2 runs ok, with all settings
    on medium. I get anywhere between 45 and 30 fps. The only time it 'slide
    shows'is when Hell is unleashed in the midst of battle and that doesn't
    happen very often.
    I have not bothered to try and tweak it as I was thinking of going to
    the X800.

    Stephen

    I've got a Mobile Athlon XP running @ 2530Mhz w/a 9800 Pro (overclocked to
    418 core, 374 mem)and 2GB of RAM. I can run BF2 on all settings maxed, 2xAA
    at 1024x768. FWIW.

    --
    there is no .sig

    In article <ertvd1tkfb4dpm88lt1j9iu9pdlh141d1a@4ax.com>,
    Blonks <Blonkster@_NOSTINKINSPAM_ntlworld.com> wrote:
    #I'd like a bit more speed/detail in BF2.
    #
    #I'm running on an XP2100+

    How much memory, 512MB, 1G, or ???

    # with a 9800 Pro.

    With how much memory, 128MB or 256MB?

    # Is it CPU or GPU limited ?

    Somewhat CPU limited, but maybe more RAM limited. Or maybe not.

    #My cheap option is to replace the CPU with 3200+

    Not a bad idea, except the 3200+'s are no longer in production and very
    quickly rising in price. If you do this, do it now, or settle for a
    3000+.

    #Will this make a big differecne or is the 9800 pro the problem?

    Depends on how much memory the card has.

    #Does anybody with the same setup have any advice?

    Yes, here it is:

    #'What we have here is a failure to communicate'

    Ken.
    Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net | Fire Rumsfeld, secure Iraq's borders.
    WWW: http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh | Our border with Mexico too.

PC gaming Games CPUs Video Games