How do I remove write protection from a USB memory stick?

G

I have recently purchased 2 x Toshiba USB sticks, 32gb.
I am unable to- load my video files to these sticks. Individually they load and work correctly until the total space used is 8-9gb then any files loaded do not run.
I have deleted all files and reloaded them and the previous files which would not run will run if the total is below 8-9gb then once again any more files will not run.
I have tried several times and now one of the memory sticks is telling me it is write protected and consequently is of no use.
is there a way of removing the writr protect. Ther are no external switches
regards
W White

I am unable to- load my video files to these sticks. Individually they load and work correctly until the total space used is 8-9gb then any files loaded do not run.
I have deleted all files and reloaded them and the previous files which would not run will run if the total is below 8-9gb then once again any more files will not run.
I have tried several times and now one of the memory sticks is telling me it is write protected and consequently is of no use.
regards
W White
Larger capacity flash shoulw be formatted ntfs.

thrasher32

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
regards
W White

It's possible that you got some counterfeit hardware. For some time now it's been known that unscrupuluous manufacturers have been labeling low-capacity (8gb or less) flash drives as 16GB, 32GB, or 64GB and selling them on the open market. On the OS (Windows etc) these drives will show as having the correct amount of memory, but when you go to access them they quit at their "real" capacity limit.

27ragbag

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
regards
W White

What you are experiencing is a low quality NAND chip. 32GB media is not easy to build so the OEM factories use very cheap media to build the product. The GB capacity stopping at 8-9GB is a red flag and the device going write protected is your proof. The WP status is not a function of getting the write back...but a function of the device being corrupted [because of cheap memory]. Try getting a replacement from your supplier or be sure to get name brand memory in your device. For example, if you crack the drive open the flash chips will be generic with no name memory. If you got the good stuff it would say Samsung or Micron or Toshiba or Hynix. Good luck. Nexcopy.com

tester321

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
Where did you buy this stuff? This happened to me once -but I deserved it as it was too good to be true $ to GB ratio. It turned out that it has a hack software that labels the disk larger than it is!

vijayp9999

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012

Yes it is still showing as write protected.

Can you please hep us over here

xmustanguyx

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
32GB Voyager by Corsair is doing the same thing. Not a fake either! I have so many problems with this product line since day 1. This is my 3rd drive I may have to RMA it again but dang I wish Corsair would get their act together...I have never had so much issues with Corsair products.